HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   What's cooking??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40393)

alicem 07-11-2009 04:56 PM

What's cooking???

1 Attachment(s)
I just saw this yummy looking recipe online and had the idea that it would be fun to start a thread where we can share our favorite recipes. It might be fun to make them seasonal, so for now, I will start with this summery no-cook idea.
COWBOY CAVIAR

INGREDIENTS:

15 1/2 ounce(s) (can) pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
11 ounce(s) (can) corn kernels, drained
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 green onions, minced
1 large (or 2 small) avocado , diced
1 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup(s) prepared salsa
3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Gently toss to combine. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over greens as a salad, or with chips for dipping.
The credit for this recipe goes to Jean Scobie of McKinleyville, Calif. She took home the top prize in Quick & Simple's No-Cook summer Recipes contest.

Believe51 07-11-2009 09:42 PM

'No Cook'......Ooooooh, Bill.......>>Believe51

Bill 07-11-2009 09:46 PM

I can't wait to try this one! Great idea and great recipe, Alice. I think I can do this one, Marie! I've just gotta study it for a few days.

Believe51 07-11-2009 09:51 PM

I heard that you could substitute the corn for chard. Of course you could always top a fresh chopped plate of kale with it too! Thanks for being Bill, I did not know I would get busted this soon. You made me smile so big right then.>>Believe51

sandyinde 08-04-2009 08:11 AM

Re: What's cooking???

We had some wild salmon last night. The last time my husband broiled it, it got dried out and tasteless. So we poached it, my new favorite way of cooking fish and chicken. We only had .84 pound for the two of us. He had a large serving and I had a good sized one for my first real meal since Chemo 1.

This quick, easy and tasty recipe is from "Real Simple" magazine's email list.

Poached Salmon<o>></o>
<o></o>>

This poached salmon recipe is one of the first recipes my father taught me a few years ago. It's his favorite way to prepare salmon because not only can it be prepared in 10 minutes or less, but it doesn't stink up the house the way broiling or frying salmon can, and it tastes simply delicious.<o>></o>>

Ingredients<o>></o>>
  • 1 to 1½ pounds salmon fillets<o>></o>>
  • ½ cup dry white wine (a good Sauvignon Blanc)<o>></o>>
  • ½ cup water<o>></o>>
  • A few thin slices of yellow onion and/or 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin<o>></o>>
  • Several sprigs of fresh dill or sprinkle of dried dill<o>></o>>
  • A sprig of fresh parsley<o>></o>>
  • Freshly ground black pepper<o>></o>>
Method<o>></o>>
Put wine, water, dill, parsley and onions in a saute pan, and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Place salmon fillets, skin-side down on the pan. Cover. Cook 5 minutes or to desired done-ness. Do not overcook. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.<o>></o>>
Serves 2-4.