HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   FREE Brain MRI FREE (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40532)

Joe 07-23-2009 06:20 PM

FREE Brain MRI FREE

Early Detection of Brain Metastases from Advanced Breast Cancer through Education and Screening

Inclusion Criteria
  • Subjects must have an initial primary diagnosis of high-risk and/or HER-2 positive breast cancer. For purposes of this screening study, high-risk breast cancer at initial diagnosis is defined as:
  • Stage IV disease, OR
  • HER-2 positive Stage III disease

B. Subjects must be ³18 years old.

C. Subjects must be within 3 to 36 months of first metastases or Stage IV diagnosis or within 12 to 36 months of initial diagnosis of HER-2 positive Stage III disease.

D. Subjects must sign a written informed consent form, approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).

Exclusion Criteria
  • Subjects with a prior diagnosis of brain metastases.

B. Subjects who are unable to be safely exposed to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Most common exclusions include, but are not limited to, pacemakers, implanted defibrillators, neurostimulators, aneurysm clips, cochlear devices, or any other institution contraindications.

C. Women who are known to be pregnant.

D. Unwillingness of subject to give written informed consent.

For more information about the study, please call (773) 250-0400 and select menu option “8” between 8:00 AM & 5:00 PM CST

Michelle Catalano
Clinical Research Coordinator
Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch
4501 North Winchester, 4th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60640

(773) 250-0422 Office
(877) 713-2694 Pager
(773) 250-0497 Fax
mcatalano@cinn.org
http://www.cinn.org

Joe 07-24-2009 12:33 PM

It is my understanding that you do not have to live in and near Chicago. Have your oncologist make the necessary arrangements with the CINN foundation and you may receive your MRI locally.

Regards
Joe

chrisy 07-24-2009 04:46 PM

Oh I read the title wrong...I thought you could get a free brain. Oh well....

mmoons 07-24-2009 06:01 PM

Lol

Chrisy-

You are so funny!!!

freyja 07-24-2009 07:02 PM

Great! I'm calling first thing in the morning...or maybe I'll have to wait til Monday. Thanks for the tip!

hutchibk 07-24-2009 08:37 PM

You and me Chrisy - I thought the same thing.

The Man with Two Brains is one of my fav movies.

Just call me Dr. Hufurrrrr.

Brenda_D 07-25-2009 03:22 PM

I contacted them about it before and then my hubby didn't want to make the trip to Chicago. If they'll do it locally, then I'm in.

chicagoetc 07-26-2009 12:15 PM

I think I contacted them before, gave information (I qualified) but then they never got back to me. Maybe they are more seriously pursuing the study now.

Melanie

Joe 07-26-2009 01:39 PM

Melanie,
They had personnel problems. They have promised to follow up on all applicants.

Regards
Joe

Chelee 07-27-2009 12:31 AM

Chrisy, lmao! Too funny. :)

Chelee

chicagoetc 07-29-2009 05:11 PM

Re: FREE Brain MRI FREE

It doesn't make sense to me that they would limit the study to those in the Chicago area. If so, how are they advertising? I called and, Joe's right, this time they are serious. I'm supposed to meet with them and get an MRI probably sometime next week. Maybe I can ask them then. Or, better yet, one of you who has called from outside of the Chicago area could say.

Melanie

freyja 07-29-2009 07:28 PM

I called them Monday and left a message and they called me back Tuesday. They had trouble getting enough people in the Chicago area so they're trying to take others. They just have to contact my local MRI people and make sure they will do the MRI for the same price that the study's grant pays. If that's ok then I'll get it. I should be hearing back from them Monday. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the info Joe.
Celeste

freyja 08-10-2009 05:45 PM

Turned out that MRI's are much much more expensive in Oregon than Chicago! Conveniently, my husband's going to Chicago for work soon and this was a good excuse for me to go see him while he's there! I'll have my brain MRI soon. Aaaah, I feel better now. I didn't want to have to lie to my doctor to get one, and now I get to help support a study that hopefully will help prevent others from having to do that, too. This came along at the perfect time for me.
Joe and Christine, I see you taught your new dog some old tricks!
Love, Celeste

schoolteacher 08-11-2009 01:09 PM

Michelle Catalano returned my phone call yesterday about the Brain Metastes trial.

I am going to donate my MRI results that I had done in June to the trial. She indicated that I would need to have a follow up MRI in June 2010.

I told her that if the amount they have is not enough to pay for the MRI. I will talk to my insurance company about the remainder.

This study is going to try and convince insurance companies that it better to be proactive about checking the brain for HER2 metastes.

They need 50 participants, and I think she told me they have around 12.

Amelia

Chelee 08-12-2009 01:01 AM

I've love to have a free brain MRI...but I'm 7 months out too far darn it. :( I've been having bad headaches for a while now...and I'm so tired of fighting my oncologist for everything.

I thought they would of had this study filled the minute it was posted. I'm really surprised they only have 12 of the 50 they are looking for. Maybe I could email them...do they ever make exceptions for studies like this? Probably no such luck...right?

Chelee

freyja 08-20-2009 08:23 AM

Got the MRI done! It wasn't easy, though. I was in it for about 5 minutes when they pulled me out and said, "just a minute". Lots and lots of minutes later they said their computer was down and they were trying to fix it. Couldn't get it fixed that evening, so I had to delay the next morning's flight so I could do it the next morning. Aaaah! So frustrating, and weird that it would happen at that moment, but it worked out. I'll get back to you when I get the results!
Celeste

chicagoetc 08-23-2009 08:44 AM

It seems odd to me that they would have trouble recruiting. There are probably half a dozen cancer treatment centers in/around Chicago. I'm sure there's a good reason. I just don't know what.

Melanie

Patty F 08-23-2009 11:44 AM

I am scheduled for my MRI on the 29th.
Keeping fingers crossed that all is well.

Brenda_D 08-30-2009 09:05 AM

I called and left a message. They never called me back.

freyja 09-04-2009 04:54 PM

It's official......(drumroll)....my brain is clear! Whew. I feel sooooo much better. I asked Michelle about whether she thought they might take on patients who maybe didn't "quite" meet the criteria for one detail or another and she said they should contact them and ask and they'll figure it out. I have also experienced some long wait times for return calls, so don't give up too easily, and call and call again.
Celeste