HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Perjeta - leap of faith (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55868)

chrisy 09-17-2012 12:55 PM

Perjeta - leap of faith

Well, I am sitting here watching the last few drops of a Perjeta IV!

Then a loading dose (again) of herceptin...

The leap of faith is that it really is, as the clinic staff assured me and dr Rugo, authorized by my insurance! I have not received anything either way so I'm nervous, but I believe things will work out. But I will be there with those who sat there afraid to open their EOB for sure!

This was really good news since I can't receive chemo with the gaping surgical wound in my leg. I can get started with the Perjeta and herceptin and then we will add in taxotere when the wound heals. The combination of the two antibodies has some published data showing efficacy of the combo after herceptin resistance.

In the meantime, yesterday I got a contraption called a wound-vac which is basically a little vacuum that you wear and has a tube going into the wound dressing which sucks the fluid out and presumably speeds the healing process by drawing the good healing stuff to where it is supposed to go. In my case there is not a lot of drainage, so the thing makes a constant sound of someone sucking a straw to get the last bit of a chocolate shake! You know the sound:)

Wish me luck on the new combo, and that the insurance actually will come through!

tricia keegan 09-17-2012 01:47 PM

Re: Perjeta - leap of faith

Oh sending lots of good wishes to you Chrisy, must admit I'd hate to hear those sounds from the wound vac though but needs must!!:)

StephN 09-17-2012 02:36 PM

Hey Chris -
Those Leaps of Faith just keep on coming. But this sounds like a winner for you - and I think the Good Doctor knows whereof she speaks. Otherwise she will get an even bigger water canon and blast them again!

If you don't have much drainage from your leg wound, maybe you won't need that leetle contraption for very long. Sure hope not.

Maybe the leg problem can slow you down long enough for the drugs to do their work!

yanyan 09-17-2012 03:50 PM

Good luck with the new treatment Chrisy ! I am very happy to hear that you finally got Perjeta !! As for the insurance part, don't worry too much about the EOB if the nurse has assured you that it was authorized. I don't think any clinic would run the risk of losing $$$ for unauthorized services so you are all covered :)

JennyB 09-17-2012 05:00 PM

Chrissy so glad to hear you are having the infusion as for the leg it was always my favorite sound as a child but as a mother a bloody annoying one! I hope it does it's thing fast and returns you to calm

Jenny

KDR 09-17-2012 05:33 PM

YESSS! What else can I say!! You are gonna be good! (Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary today, so I'm giving his quote the stage).
Love you,
Karen

Becky 09-17-2012 05:35 PM

I am so happy you started with the Perjeta and all my fingers and toes are crossed that your wound heals rapidly.

NEDenise 09-17-2012 05:37 PM

Yay! That sound is music to my ears! I just know it will do its thing quickly and you'll be able to complete your cocktail sooner, rather than later.

Look out NED...here she comes!!
Sending a warm hug...
Denise

Redwolf8812 09-17-2012 06:24 PM

It will all work out. I just know it. God is good.

Mandamoo 09-17-2012 07:29 PM

Go Chrisy!

caya 09-17-2012 07:48 PM

So happy for you Chrisy - Hooray for Perjeta!
Sending you big hugs from Canada and wishes for success!

all the best
caya

Pray 09-17-2012 08:51 PM

I'm also hoping and praying all will go well Chrisy. Gods blessings to you and your family.

Ellie F 09-18-2012 03:26 AM

Good wishes winging there way to you. Hope the wound improves very soon. Thanks for sharing this new part of your journey
Ellie

Lori R 09-18-2012 05:09 AM

Chrisy,
That is fantastic news about gaining access to Perjeta!! What a perfect combo to use while your leg heals.

Thinking of you and send all the best....Lori

michka 09-18-2012 08:21 AM

This is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD news Chris! I am so happy you got started and hope it will work real fast. (even hoping that you will need nothing else). I also hope you will get rid of the stubborn wound. Michka

sassy 09-18-2012 06:51 PM

All good things!

Kick Butt Chrissy!!!!

suzan w 09-18-2012 08:04 PM

This is great news, Chrisy. Although the wound vac does sound a little gruesome...I hope it sucks its little brains out!!!!!

Kim in DC 09-19-2012 11:58 AM

Yeah Chrisy,
I'm praying for you!

chrisy 09-19-2012 12:23 PM

Kim,I was just thinking of you! Hope you're doing well...

Paula O 09-21-2012 04:27 AM

Hooray for this great news!

How are you feeling today, Chrisy?

Paula