HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I cant speak now!!!!!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54339)

Delaney 05-12-2012 07:16 AM

I cant speak now!!!!!!!

I'm bring treated for brain lesions. I had radiosurgery on Wednesday. Friday morning I could not
pronounce words, I knew what everything was but could not get the wods out. It was frightening. My husband brought me into oncology, the doctors had left for the weekend, the nurses did not know what to do. I went home and took a steroid, slept all night and am much improved today. Has anyone else had this happen? Please help if you can.

Lien 05-12-2012 08:52 AM

Re: I cant speak now!!!!!!!

Hi Delaney,

It's called aphasia, and it happens when the language center in your brain isn't working properly. I am no doctor, but I assume that the surgery caused some temporary damage or swelling. As you are getting better, it's unlikely that an permanent damage was done.

It is very scary when that happens. I have similar symptoms during a migraine attack sometimes. I have gotten used to it over time, so I don't freak out anymore.

Hang in there!

Jacqueline

Delaney 05-12-2012 09:01 AM

Thank you Jacuueline, I will be sure to keep a supply of steroids handy. My sister suffers with migraines so I know the pain you go thru. Best wishes.

NEDenise 05-12-2012 10:31 AM

Delaney,
No wisdom here, sorry...but I wanted to let you know I'm sending prayers and hugs.
Denise

Jackie07 05-12-2012 11:56 AM

Delaney,

Since you have no problem expressing your thoughts in writing, I would think the problem you've been experiencing is more related to the vocal cord.

The swelling of my brain after a 23-hour craniotomy in mid 1990 had affected the nerves controlling my vocal cord and I did not regain my 'speaking' ability until after several weeks of rigorous speech therapy.

My voice became quite coarse and was several notes lower. Thought I needed to switch to Alto when I went back to the choir practice a few months later, but the choir director put me back to the Soprano section after my first practice. That's almost 22 years ago...

Perhaps you can request for a consult with a speech pathologist and get some speech therapy?

BonnieR 05-12-2012 01:58 PM

In my opinion, the nurses who did not know what to do should have insisted that they find a physician see you. I think it is unacceptable to have sent you home.
Meanwhile, keep the faith.

karen z 05-12-2012 08:16 PM

Hi Delaney,
I am afraid I do not have much wisdom for you either but agree with Bonnie that what happened Friday was unacceptable. If your doc or docs had left for the weekend, then someone in the office should have contacted them immediately. What happened to you was too frightening for you to endure without talking to your doc.
karen

pibikay 05-13-2012 07:23 AM

Hi Delaney
Hema had her radiation therapy a coupple of months back.Even now when she wants to say something she forgets what she had wanted to say.She has stareted noting down what she wants to say and then she does it. Hope you can also do that.Wishing you all the best

Delaney 05-13-2012 08:23 AM

Thank you all for replying. Jackie, I tried to write what I intended to say but could not write either, only the letter e. I hope it never happens again, its horrifying to have such a lack of control.

Pray 05-13-2012 08:56 PM

Gods blessings to you Delaney. You are in my prayers.

tricia keegan 05-14-2012 02:44 PM

I've been offline for a couple of weeks Helen and was so sorry to read you had this scary experience and just wanted to send you good wishes, also my hospital always gave me an emergency number for weekends or evenings and agree that sending you home was unacceptable!

fullofbeans 05-15-2012 08:04 AM

Delaney,

no wise words from me just sending you support and love from accross the pond as I can imagine how frightening it must have been.

Laurel 05-18-2012 08:40 PM

Delany,

Glad to hear your tongue is able to waggle once again! How scary it must have been for you, but good call on the steroid to reduce the swelling.

I had a chronic migraine that lasted for nearly 9 months. Acupuncture, meds, dietary changes, nothing helped until I started googling whereupon I discovered that coconut oil can relieve migraines. Well, I really had zero confidence it could be the answer, but what did I have to lose? It worked. Shock of all shocks! Maybe it will help your sister too.