HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Five Year mark for AI inhibitor (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51552)

CLTann 09-28-2011 06:10 PM

Five Year mark for AI inhibitor

Hi Sisters,

This is the time again my onc bringing up the end of Femera regimen. Last year was the end of five years but I talked my way out. So I had another year. Now it is the end of 6 years. He wants to end the Femera now.

Do any of you have the same opinion from your on? I know the standard of care is for 5 years, but many oncs agreed with patients to continue indefinitely. Please give me some suggestion on how do I counter my onc's opinion. He now says that beyond 5 years, the results have shown negatively. Is that true?

Ann

Jean 09-28-2011 06:51 PM

Re: Five Year mark for AI inhibitor

Hi Ann,
I just had my visit with onc. and he said I will stay on Femara as the results are compelling to stay on.

My onc. does confer with Dr. Slamon - I don't know if this helps?

Best Wishes,
Jean

Gerri 09-28-2011 07:35 PM

Ann,

My onc said basically the same thing as Jean's - the preliminary results are showing that it may be better to stay on an AI longer than 5 years. She said that I should stay on Femara for now and we will reassess at the 7 year mark.

All my best,

CLTann 09-29-2011 01:26 PM

Jean and Gerri,

Thanks a lot for your useful replies. I will use your info to get my seventh year Femera. I don't quite understand the reason for my onc's position for not continuing the medication. He alleged that the preliminary results for the group continuing on Femera were negative, a total contradiction from what you quoted from your oncs.

Ann

Becky 09-29-2011 04:17 PM

I am 6+ years on Arimidex and my onc is also awaiting some data for next steps.

caya 09-29-2011 07:35 PM

I was on Tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years, now on Femara. My 2 1/2 years will be up next July (2012). My onc. has told me that he wants me off it then, due to my osteoporosis, and the fact that current studies are not showing any really good reason to prolong taking it.

On the one hand, I will be happy to be off it - weight gain, joint pain, insomnia, osteoporosis, to name a few reasons - on the other hand, it's my security blanket and I'm nervous to go off it.

all the best
caya

sassy 09-30-2011 07:58 PM

I've been on Arimidex for six years and my onc plans to keep me on indefinately. Says studies are indicating positive results. I did try Femara for about three months six months ago to see if side effects lessened, but could tell no difference.

Unregistered 10-03-2011 09:51 AM

I've been on Arimidex for 5 1/2 years and have been told results are showing it might be good to have one month off every 3 months or so as any cancer cells would then be more receptive??

Unregistered 10-03-2011 01:18 PM

I thought studies were showing different results for Her2+. If you are 5 years out and received Herceptin, even if you are ER+, the liklihood that you will recur is close to 0. I see my onc in a month and will ask since I would prefer to go off of it. The side effects of long term estrogen deprivation may outweigh the benefits for Her2+ women if the stats do show a different recurrence pattern for Her2+. If anyone has other information or studies to share that support or contradicts this, please let us know.

tricia keegan 10-03-2011 03:15 PM

I did'nt get to see my onc but did speak to her Jr who said new trials are showing good improvment for seven years on this but did'nt get to ask for details as I was just so pleased to remain on it for another two!!!:)

Maybe look into the last ASCO conference as there may be something there I missed, I know my onc attends this so she would have got her info there.

Barbara2 10-04-2011 11:18 AM

I have been on Arimidex (now Anastrozole) for 8 1/2 years. I see my onc in about a week, but he has said that he will keep me on this; he says the reports on Arimidex beyond 5 years are looking good.