HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   !3 years NED yesterday (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67084)

karen z 05-11-2018 12:04 PM

!3 years NED yesterday

This note probably does not seem very long after posting my 12 year anniversary as I was super busy during that time and posted late (retirement, downsizing and selling my home and renting an apartment for a couple of years during my daughter's two gap years working in the legal field).

Towards the end of my last thread I mentioned that my older brother had bought a second home in Italy (it is 300 years old and beautiful but there are several renovation and restoration projects to be done). In any case, my sister-in-law and my brother invited me to Italy in April to see my ancestral village and their new home and for interesting side trips in our region (Puglia) as well as some days in Milan at the end. I was gone from April 4-24. I must admit, I fell in love with the village of my maternal grandparents and coming home was a bit surreal. I am hoping (hoping as I need to save up this time) to go back with them for meetings about the house and more interesting side trips this Fall. I hope I can swing this as I felt so so happy in Italy and learned so much. As always, I am praying that i remain NED and am focused on getting more traveling in during this time of my life. My daughter is applying to law schools this Fall. Do not ask me how, as she was just born yesterday. Best, karen z

Laurel 05-12-2018 04:58 PM

Re: !3 years NED yesterday

Karen,

Gosh, your life sounds exciting! I didn't even know you are Italian! Enjoy your health and this season of your life. You have earned some leisure time!

karen z 05-13-2018 06:24 AM

Thanks for your kind words Laurel. I assure you, my life has not been very exciting ! As a university professor for decades, I mostly worked non-stop- up until the "end" of my career (still doing some writing and reviewing, etc.). I do not expect to pick up any teaching down the road. My life did pick up tremendously when I had my wonderful daughter when I was 43 (and turned 44 the next month). She will be 23 this August (OMG) and she graduated from college last May. She is working in the legal field and studying for the LSAT and will be applying to law schools this Fall. But (you are right) my life was very exciting when I got to visit Italy (I love it) and decided yesterday to definitely try and go back this Fall. I am half Italian (on my mom's side- much of the time we were "housed" in the city where my maternal grandparents were born and where my brother bought his second home). We had some very interesting short side visits to beautiful cities in our region (Puglia) and did spend our last few days in Milan (related to both finding a great place to help with house renovations as well as visiting the design fair going on that week). But, so far my heart is in the village of my ancestors. This Fall (I think it is a go) we will go back to our village for a major religious festival held every September and our "main" side trip (a three hour train or bus ride) will be to Rome (and many meetings with architects and others on the house). So, I would love to stay healthy (I can live with my arthritis) to continue to see my Isabella get older and to finally (finally) get to travel a bit. Take good care and thanks for writing.

jra40 05-14-2018 10:22 AM

What a great story on your journey and finding your happy place in Italy! I think the positivity that Italy has brought you will work to help you stay healthy. Congrats and enjoy life to the fullest!

Jessica

karen z 05-14-2018 10:42 AM

Many thanks, Jessica, for your lovely note. I am going to try hard to allow myself to enjoy life to the fullest (not easy for me). And Italy is my happy place. I am amazed to look around our city and imagine my grandma and grandpa there at one time. I feel such a strong connection to our town/region. Take good care.

tricia keegan 05-14-2018 02:06 PM

Congratulations Karen and I'm so happy for you!

SoCalGal 05-14-2018 04:24 PM

Wow Karen! There is no better feeling than seeing our children realize their dreams!! She is fortunate to see what it's like as she sees you realizing one of yours, too. Amazing to feel that connection to your grandparents, sometimes when using a pot or pan that belonged to my mom, or grandma, I'll look at my hand on the handle and think, my grandma's hand was here at one time. Our connection to our ancestors can be powerful. Italy is fabulous under just about any circumstance, so ENJOY enjoy ENJOY!!!

karen z 05-15-2018 06:19 AM

Thank you for you well wishes and very kind note, Tricia.

All the best, Karen

karen z 05-15-2018 06:29 AM

Hi SoCalGal,

You are so right. I feel very blessed as my daughter is currently working in a very nice law field job and studying for the LSAT. I will likely explode with amazement as she starts to apply to law schools this fall. Although I know that it is a bit scary to her, she is excited and I feel that with all of her hard work, she will get into a good school (my fingers are crossed). And she was so happy that I could finally visit my grandparents' village and, when we made video calls she commented that I looked so so happy. I think she was very proud (I am not the most adventuresome people in the world and a bit anxious about new things) that I actually went to Italy (I really did it). I know exactly what you mean by your feelings when seeing your hand on a pot or pan that your mom or grandmother also used. It is an incredible feeling and ancestral connections are very strong and go straight to one's heart. And, even after one trip, I also feel the wonder that is Italy. I can not wait (literally) to go back this Fall. Take good care. Karen

Cathya 05-18-2018 04:25 PM

Karen;

Oh my what a wonderful adventure to start now at this point in your life. I am so looking forward to hearing all about your future adventures.... and your daughters as well. My very best wishes for a long, happy journey.

Cathy

karen z 05-19-2018 08:42 AM

Cathy,
Thank you for such a lovely note.
It looks like you are going though a lot of known and unknown events (and have). Stay strong and tough and please keep us informed of your results as you get them and how you are tolerating new drugs. Know that I am thinking of you. Karen

sassy 05-31-2018 03:07 PM

Yea Karen! So good to hear that life is good and happy and exciting!

Much love,

Rhonda

karen z 05-31-2018 09:36 PM

Hi Rhonda,
Many thanks for the shout out. I think of you often and our adventures and fun at the River Walk (not to mention Macy's) in San Antonio). I hope you are good and it is wonderful to hear from you. I love your picture!
Love, K

Laurel 06-01-2018 10:02 AM

Karen and Sassy (sorry Karen to hijack your thread),

Rhonda! Wow! You look marvelous, Darling! Nice to see your smiling face!

karen z 06-02-2018 07:44 AM

Hi Laurel,

You can ALWAYS "hijack" any of my threads to say how marvelous Sassy looks (she does). And it IS SO GOOD to see her smiling face (although I also wish I could hear some of her funny funny comments on anything and everything). I miss the San Antonio days. Sometimes I think of just trying to go on my own and begging others to ..........just do it !!!

Melissa 06-03-2018 08:39 PM

Karen,
Here's to many more adventures in Italy.
So happy for you!

karen z 06-04-2018 09:00 AM

Thanks so much Melissa. And for you too (wherever you want to go and whatever you want to do). Best, K

lkc Gumby 06-06-2018 02:06 PM

Congratulations on your blessed good health all the wonderful happenings in your life! I am right there with you at 13 years and living in love and gratitude.

karen z 06-07-2018 06:24 AM

Thank you so much lkc. Congratulations on your 13 year anniversary and you are SO RIGHT about living in love and gratitude (the only way to live). Take good care. K