HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Meningioma? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63412)

derbygrrl 06-30-2015 05:29 PM

Meningioma?

I recently had a brain MRI due to frequent dull headaches, dizzy spells and some challenges with memory. Upon initial exam with my PCP we found that my field of vision was blurry on the left. The MRI showed a small (10 mm) tumor near my optic nerve suspected to be a meningioma. I am still waiting to get a follow up appointment with a neurologist but was told that they will likely ask me to return in 6 months to a year for another MRI. If it is a meningioma should not grow in this time and if it's growing then we would re-assess the situation. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience.

forher 06-30-2015 11:22 PM

Re: Meningioma?

Hi derbygrrl, do you have an onc you can talk to? I don't see your history so it's hard to answer. What about stereotactic rads? I'm not sure how they reach an area close to your eye. I'm sorry I'm not that helpful but I hope someone else with experience will respond. Also, you might want to see your eye doc.

Debbie L. 07-01-2015 06:41 AM

Hi Derbygrrl. Sorry you're having to deal with this worry. I know a bit about mengiomas, as my husband had one. They are typically not cancer, and slow growing (or not-growing). Sometimes they are found by chance, when looking for something else, and are left alone and monitored, never to present a problem. I think management depends upon size, symptoms, and location. I'm sure you've already googled around to get more information -- although as always, it will be vague information, and hard to know what it means for your individual circumstance.

But for you at this point -- more information from an expert (not me!) is what you need. I hope that your neurologist will be able to give you that information, and a plan that feels right to you. Will you keep us posted, please?

Debbie Laxague

Lisalou 07-01-2015 06:42 AM

Hi Derby Girl
I recently had a MRI for unrelenting headaches. Found a 10mm menigioma between the cerebrum and cerebellum, unlike cause of the headaches per my onc and the neurologist. Because it is a new finding we are re-imaging in 3 months and if no changes then yearly. I would want a concrete answer that this is not the cause of your blurred vision, they usually don't cause problems unless they get large and put pressure on areas of the brain and then are re-sected. They are not cancerous. Usually the finding of a menigioma is an "incidentaloma", meaning not the cause of the problem and an incidental finding. My headaches are better, seemed to be caused by the use of celebrex (like ibuprofen) from rebound.
Good luck.

derbygrrl 07-01-2015 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone! My biggest concern was that it could be a metastasis that was mistaken for a meningioma. Sounds like that is highly unlikely which is good news! I'll keep you posted.

forher 07-05-2015 11:41 PM

I hope you don't have to wait 6 months to take care of the symptoms you are having. Hopefully you can get some relief through meds or some other kind of treatment. Take care and do keep us posted.