HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   clinical study for bc..herceptin & taxol (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38753)

welthy 04-03-2009 09:54 AM

clinical study for bc..herceptin & taxol

My name is Welthy and I am 71 years young. I had my first mamogram 1/23, 2nd 2/5, biopsy 2/11, lumpectomy 2/24,lumpectomy 3/3 Invasive ductal adencarcinoma with HER2 3+. SA node neg. Had a mamosite balloon put in, then radiation twice a day for five days. Thought that would be it, but then was told I need chemo. If accepted into a clinical study the chemo will start 4/11. The plan is to have a port put in after the first dose and then Taxol and Herceptin once a week for 12 weeks, then Herceptin every three weeks or weekly for 40 weeks. I have done a lot of reading, but haven't found anyone that has had this series or that is in a study. Any information or suggestions will be appreciated. Welthy

schoolteacher 04-03-2009 12:28 PM

Welthy,

I had neoadjuvant taxol and herceptin. I did four treatments. The first two were every three weeks and the other two were every two weeks.

Amelia

Mary Anne in TX 04-03-2009 01:09 PM

Hi Welthy! So sorry you must be here, but am so glad you found us. I did Taxol & Herceptin with Carboplatin for 8 weeks every 2 weeks and then some other stuff too. I found it a bit hard at times, but very doable. Best wishes and keep asking questions. ma

Sheila 04-03-2009 05:18 PM

Welthy
I was not on that particular protocol, but I can tell you that I have been on Taxol Herceptin for almost 2 years now....I just had my 60th Taxol....other than hair loss and some neuropathy, it has not been bad....the port has been a piece of heaven...I did it weekly for the first year, now every 2 weeks...i am more than happy to answer any questions you may have...

welthy 04-03-2009 06:12 PM

Thank you for the information and encouragment. Welthy

pmellon 04-04-2009 01:58 PM

I am on 12 weekly Taxol w/year of Herceptin

Hi Welthy - I am on the 12 weekly taxol/herceptin treatments w/a year of herceptin every 3 weeks after that. I am also node negative, stage II. It is a trial that I am on. My oncologist offered a couple of different options and basically said the thought is with the success of herceptin that the current standard chemo treatments may be over treating. It was a hard decision to make, but I went with it. I am on my 4th treatment and so far little side effects. Tired. Starting to slowly lose hair. I feel good about my decision and hope it works out. Best of luck to you - let me know what you end up deciding on.

welthy 04-05-2009 05:22 AM

Hello pmellon..I don't know how to put my location on the board.(Tn) Good to hear from someone that is on this combo of drugs. As you said, it is a hard decision. Let me know how you are doing and I will let you know if I start chemo Thursday. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. One day at a time!

atdec05 04-05-2009 03:04 PM

I had 12 weekly Herceptin/Taxol for a recurrence. At that time they thought weekly was better than biweekly or every 3 weeks.

take care,

Shobha 04-06-2009 10:15 AM

Hi Welthy,

I was given Taxol and herceptin weekly for 12 weeks and then FEC+Herceptin for 12 weeks, followed by some more rigorous treatment plan because of my stage (IIIB).

My first 3 months on Taxol and herceptin were quite easy. In fact, I hardly experienced any fatigue. I had mild bone pain due to the decadron (steroid) but they reduced the decadron which helped right away.

All the best to you

welthy 04-13-2009 06:03 AM

pmellon, I go to surg tomorrow for the port and start the study chemo Wed. Feel it is the best plan for me. Less side effects sounds good. Hope you are still doing well and getting the rest you need.

pmellon 04-13-2009 06:10 AM

Hi Welthy - Good luck tomorrow with the port. It's nice to have some company on the weekly taxol/herceptin protocol. I go to treatment #6 of 12 this week - half way! (of course, I'll do herceptin for a year) I still feel good. No major side effects. Still slowly losing hair - pace is starting to pick up, but I guess I knew it was coming. Tired sometimes, tingling in one hand. So far so good! Keep me posted on your progress!

Greg 04-14-2009 04:28 PM

Hi pmellon,

My wife started her weekly TH today, one down eleven to go! Have you had any problems with neuropathy or nausea during your first six weeks? Thanks!

pmellon 04-14-2009 05:03 PM

Hi Greg - So far I have had some tingling/slight numbness in my hand, but it only lasts for an hour or so and then disappears. My hands and feet also get really itchy on the inside sometimes, which they said is neuropathy. I have had absolutely no nausea at all. The worst part for me has been the steroids and the side effects from those.

I wish you and your wife the best. Getting the first one done is the big step. Each week is a step in the right direction and isn't quite as intimidating. Keep me posted.

Greg 04-14-2009 05:33 PM

Thanks Pmellon! My wife got 4 mg of decadron and hasn't had a problem with the steroid....yet anyway. She is feeling really good right now but we can't help but think there is a storm coming tomorrow or the next day! She has been keeping her fingers and toes cold using ice packs during the infusion and still is using them off and on. We also have read about glutamin and vitamin B-6 but are a little hesitant to try those. Would hate to keep the chemo from doing what it's supposed to do! Thanks again and congrats on being 1/2 way through. Can't wait until we are!

atdec05 04-14-2009 08:03 PM

Hi Greg,

I didn't experience neuropathy until the half-way mark. It never got too bad. I started taking L-Glutamine power and that seemed to help. Dana-Farber has a neuropathy regime that includes L-Glutamine and other supplements. I don't think it interferes with the chemo, but of course check with your wife's onc. about what she should take if she experiences neuropathy.

I felt terrible stomach cramps the first few treatments, but Pepto Bismol helped. I think the cramps were from the steroids. Other than that, I was fortunate to get through the 12 treatments without major side effects.

Jackie07 04-14-2009 08:16 PM

Hi Welthy,

Glad you've got all kinds of good tips. Just wanted to wish you a good day for tomorrow.

welthy 04-15-2009 01:14 AM

Thanks pmellon and Jackie07 for thinking of me. Had the port put in yesterday, but another"little surprise" with the chemo changed from Wed. to Thurs. Want to get this started! Good to hear that you are half way finished pmellon. Greg, I was looking at some of the alternative vitamins, but not comfortable with starting too many things at one time.

pmellon 04-18-2009 03:46 PM

Hi Greg - I was taking 20 mg of decadron before treatments, I am now down to 10, so that has helped. How is your wife tolerating so far? I'm hoping all is going well.

Hi Welthy - How did your 1st treatment go? Hopefully all went well and you are feeling good.

Greg 04-18-2009 10:22 PM

Thanks pmellon,

She is being given 4mg of decadron. 24 hours after the taxol infusion she had a rash with a few small welts and also complained of a sore throat and painful eyes. She also ran a slight fever of 99.5. We are wondering if that was a reaction to the taxol and if so can she expect to have a worse reaction next time? Thanks again for all of your help.

Greg

pmellon 04-20-2009 01:48 PM

Hi Greg - that is scary - has she been better since?. Do they think it was a reaction to the taxol? My reaction to taxol was immediate within minutes of getting my first dose. So, they just upped the steroids and benedryl and I haven't had a problem since.