HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Caregivers Corner (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Dying of other cancer... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52880)

Jackie07 01-16-2012 09:00 PM

Dying of other cancer...

I've been feeling so sad about my college basketball teammate who'd been moved to hospice a couple of days ago after a complete hysterectomy early October when cervical cancer was confirmed. She's only 50 going 51 late this month.

She had confused the signs of discomfort with 'menopause' and the stress from caring for her 80+-year-old Mother who'd been diagnosed with colon cancer three years ago. She moved out a year ago and lived by herself while teaching full-load in the university as a Biology professor (had received her Ph.D from MIT in the 80's). Cervical cancer is usually silent...

After the hysterectomy, she's only able to endure one round of chemo and radiation to each of the three spots on her bones. She's also been suffering from liver mets... [I see now the wisdom of doing chemo before surgery. Angiogenesis tends to cause cancer cells to spread...]

Her father had died at a fairly young age (60?)

I just wanted to remind everyone that there are other cancers out there that are deadly! Take actions (genetic testing, prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy/cervix removal...) and pay close attention to your health. Cancer develops because our own cells fail to regulate the growth. One of my doctors (a neurosurgeon) had told me that "People who have one type of cancer are more likely to have another type of cancer..."

She's a year behind me and we'd been on the same team since high school... She'd also lettered in track (long jump and relays) thus her nick name: 'Monkey' (='Houtzu' - similar to the pronunciation of her last name 'Hou'.)

karen z 01-16-2012 09:12 PM

Re: Dying of other cancer...

Jackie,
I am so sorry to hear about your friend/former teammate. This is very sad news. Your words of being vigilant about taking care of ourselves are important for all of us. Thank you.
Again, I am so sorry.
karen z

Paty 01-16-2012 09:26 PM

Jackie,

I am so sorry...a hug.

Paty

Jackie07 01-18-2012 02:34 PM

My dear friend, Prof. Lucy Hou, just passed away 10 hours ago in Tainan, Taiwan. She'd been my basketball teammate (college and high school) for 6 years. She had also lettered in track (long jumps and relays).

Please, everyone, get a genetic testing/consult and take preventive measures. Her passing was so sudden (diagnosed in late September) and shocking to us... One of the teammates who had visited her had just called me from Hawaii while on break. Ms. Yang had had surgeries to remove 'everything' after a diagnosis of breast cancer and then ovarian cancer several years ago. She couldn't believe 'Houtzu' (= 'Master Hou' or 'Monkey', Lucy's nick name) could be gone so soon. They'd had a good visit in the hospital just 10 days ago...

Cervical cancer is 'silent' - Houtzu had no known risk factors except for being a woman.

ElaineM 01-18-2012 03:03 PM

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your good friend.
Please take care of yourself. I know you are sad now, but please be comforted by the happy memories you shared with her.

bejuce 01-18-2012 03:05 PM

Hi Jackie,

I'm so sorry about your friend. It's so hard to comprehend how life works sometimes.

Sending you virtual hugs,

Marcia

KristinSchwick 01-18-2012 07:14 PM

I agree with Marcia, life really makes little sense most days, we just like to pretend that this chaos has a purpose. The silver lining is to appreciate the time we had/have with our loved ones.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

dawny 01-18-2012 09:08 PM

So sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Jackie, sending you my warmest wishes

Dawn

3twins 01-18-2012 10:54 PM

Jackie,
I'm so sorry about your friend. Thank you for reminding us to remain vigilant. Hugs.
3twins

karen z 01-19-2012 05:34 AM

Dear Jackie,
I am very sorry to hear this news.
Take good care.
karen z

Cam 01-21-2012 01:32 AM

Jackie, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend.
Camille

Jackie07 01-21-2012 06:01 AM

Thank you all. Her memorial service is going to Feb. 4 in Tainan, Taiwan at her church. One of her former church members had moved from another town to take care of her 24 hours a day since October. She's the oldest child and her Mother has been treated for colon cancer for three years. Makes me wonder about the HNPCC http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lyn...H0001895/drome connection...

Below is a link to information about Cervical cancer:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001895/

Mtngrl 01-21-2012 10:20 AM

I'm sorry, Jackie.

Prayers for you.

BonnieR 01-21-2012 01:03 PM

Jackie, thank you for sharing your sadness with us. And thank you for the reminder that there is alot of cancer out there. We are not immune from it. And sometimes the symptoms are not always clear. I had a friend complaining on intestinal problems. Too late, they discovered it was ovarian cancer, not intestinal.
So we need to be vigilant. And also honor those who are fighting other forms of this nasty disease.
Keep the faith

KDR 01-21-2012 07:19 PM

Jackie,
I was so sorry to read about your dear friend's passing, especially so quickly. She was lucky to have such a good friend in you. Do share more about her if you wish. There's nothing I love more than a compassionate human being who stops to tell, to listen, to care.
With love and understanding,
Karen

Jackie07 01-22-2012 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Karen.

Attachment 902

Professor Lucy Hou.

She had received the 'Best Teacher' award twice - one at the beginning of her teaching career, the other just one (or two) year ago.

Jackie07 01-22-2012 04:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Top: Lucy - in bucket hat after the 1982 tournament. Three of the 8 girls pictured (including myself) have been diagnosed with cancer [1-30-2012 - just learned another teamate in the picture had had breast cancer surgery/treatment in 2006. So out of the 12 teammates of the 1982 team, there are 4 cancer incident. Only Houtzu (cervical cancer) did not survive...] I've survived two different types of cancer the past 21 1/2 years (probably would have had another one had I not gone through the prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy - the surgeon said there was 'hyperplasia' already). Another teammate (in white jacket) also had a hysterectomy several years ago when ovarian cancer was found after her breast cancer treatment.
Neither of us three has ever gone through pregnancy (The three infertility treatments I received in the late 1990's only resulted in three uterine fibroids.)

Bottom: Lucy (standing in white shirt) in 1984 before heading for MIT where she received her Ph. D in biology in the late 80's.

Paula O 01-22-2012 05:44 AM

Jackie,
I'm really sorry about your loss of your dear friend Lucy. (((hugs))). She sounds like a very special lady.

Which one is you in the picture?

Paula
P.S. I want to be sure I am understanding you correctly. Am I correct that you are not advocating that folks here get total hysterectomies prophlactically because of breast cancer but rather your message is for everyone to follow up with genetic testing to see if we are also pre-disposed to also having other types of cancers and then follow through with surgery or careful observation if there is a high statistical chance of it occuring elsewhere? I have not done any genetic testing whatsoever. I know that my insurance would not cover the one that adresses my daughters' risks for breast cancer.

karen z 01-22-2012 06:47 AM

Thank you Jackie.
karen z

Mtngrl 01-22-2012 05:22 PM

Jackie,

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. I appreciate knowing about your friend Lucy, and knowing more about you. That's what friends do--it makes me feel closer to you.

I'm so sorry, still, for your loss.