HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone on Lyrica? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64579)

SoCalGal 02-26-2016 11:25 AM

Anyone on Lyrica?

Dr gave me 75mg lyrica (twice a day) to try for sciatic nerve pain in addition to the Aleve and Tylenol regime. I read side effects on lyrica. Seems intense. Any input advice warnings? I've been told it takes a few days to help. I'm such a drug chicken. And don't want to be a drugged chicken.
Thoughts?
Flori

sarah 02-26-2016 12:08 PM

Re: Anyone on Lyrica?

Hello Flori,
I took Lyrica for a while for shoulder pain either due to a burnt or pinched nerve due to.......radiation! what else is new.
I found it miraculous. I don't remember how long it took to really help but I found it wonderful. I was told to take it at bedtime which is when I took it. I took 75mg at night.
Everytime I read side effects they seem to be awful and often mention "death" so I don't tend to think about them unless I really start having a bad effect.
Given the really bad side effects radiation gave me (heart attack, fibrosis in the lung), nothing has seemed bad to me.
I hope you resolve your pain issues. it's hard to have constant pain, drives one nuts.
health and happiness
sarah

SoCalGal 02-26-2016 07:30 PM

Sarah, thank you, that is very encouraging. I am so anxious about trying it - the number one side effect is dizziness and I can't imagine triggering vertigo on top of everything else. I'm considering pot as a natural alternative. Gathering info. Xoxo

sarah 02-27-2016 03:02 AM

Hello Flori,
I hope it works for you.
As for dizziness, after 50 years of age, women seem to be prone to this, without taking any drugs. The way to hopefully avoid dizziness is to remember that after you bend over to stand back up extremely slowly. If you go to the gym and take classes, it's very important to remember. Several women in the pilates class had dizziness but it was cured by going to a person who shook their head so that the crystals get back into the right place in the inner ear. Hopefully you won't suffer from it.
Good luck
Sarah

ariana 02-27-2016 05:11 AM

My Chiropractor deals with my sciatic pain. He puts little pads on my lower back that delivers tiny electrical currents to break up the inflammation and pain there. It takes two visits and I feel the difference right away. Hope you feel better. Ps it does last for awhile then I need to go back.

broccoli 02-27-2016 11:26 AM

I took (still take, but am weening off of it) gabapentin for nerve pain from several herniated discs. Gabapentin and Lyrica are very similar. My side effects haven't been too objectionable -- the worst being difficulty waking up in the morning when I was at the highest dose. It did help tremendously with the nerve pain -- enough that I was able to stop taking opiates. For a little while I was considering getting a prescription for medical MJ so that I could ditch the opiates -- those were making life much more difficult than the gabapentin ever has.

StephN 02-28-2016 11:32 PM

I had to change from gabapentin because of the foggy thinking that drug caused me. Lyrica was fine, and I had no side effects that I could discern, so used it until I finally rehabed from my disc operation.

I would take Lyrica again if necessary, even though it is much more costly then gabapentin. I believe the two drugs work a little differently.

Have you tried Lidocaine patches? They are large, but can be cut to whatever size you want.

Hope you can get some relief!

sarah 02-29-2016 05:21 AM

Stephanie, lidocaine patches! what a good idea! will keep that in mind.
Hope you're coming this way sometime soon.
love sarah

tricia keegan 02-29-2016 01:31 PM

Flori I was prescribed Lyrica for Neuropathy during chemo and the side effect listing put me off ever taking it to be honest as the neuropathy really wasn't too bad. I do however suffer badly from Sciatica and was glad you posted as may ask my Dr about it, also thanks to Sarah for the note on Lidocaine patches which I'll look in to as well, sorry I can't help with your question and hope you get relief soon.

SoCalGal 03-02-2016 11:41 AM

Well, I tried the Lyrica Monday evening, with a good positive attitude. Didn't feel like walking my dog once, I don't know what those TV ladies are taking but I could barely get from the bed to the bathroom. That pill is NOT FOR ME. Yikes, was dizzy, queazy, runs, felt agitated, heart pounding and exhausted all at the same time. Up till nearly 3AM when I thought it was safe to take an Ativan and some tylenol. It took me all of yesterday to get that out of my system, I've become a fragile lightweight, maybe with my infusion being so recent my system just can't take all the meds. My back does not hurt, the pain is internal in my glute and then in my calf, so bad I cannot take a step at times or I would try that icy cold, bengay, etc, etc. Back to Aleve (I am taking prevacid regularly). And on to the next idea. Cannabis you may be my only friend.
Life turns on a dime...

Laurel 03-03-2016 06:30 PM

Sorry to hear the Lyrica was too strong for you. As Brenda used to say, "crap on a crapstick!" Have you decided on what form of hootch you are going to employ? My bet is that it will be just what you need, gentle, but effective. I sure hope so!

MaineRottweilers 03-08-2016 10:59 AM

Have you given any thought to acupuncture? I've never used it but many of my friends swear by it for pain relief. It's worth a try if you can't get your pain under control any other way.