HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hair Loss (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52068)

patz64 11-07-2011 08:45 PM

Hair Loss

Hi Everyone,
I'm just curious as to when people lost their hair. I am 13 days post my first chemo (cytoxan, taxotere, herceptin) and so far I haven't lost my hair. Some people have told me that the loss occurs between day 13 and 17 post chemo. Someone else said up to 3 weeks post chemo. My one friend said it was about 2 1/2 weeks post chemo, and her head started tingling, and she got in the shower and just rubbed all the hair right out. Some people say it's a slow thinning. I just hate waiting for it to happen.
Also, has anyone experienced any skin side effects? My face has broken out with HUGE pimples, and I also got a smaller break out on my shoulders and back. Also my hands and neck got a rash that was kind of itchy for several days. Don't know if this is more related to the chemo or the steroids.
My next chemo is next week. This time I'm going to try the claritin to see if that helps prevent the pain from the neulasta injection.
Thanks everyone.
Pat

Ellie F 11-08-2011 04:26 AM

Re: Hair Loss

Hi
Mine started to drop out at 17 days but took about six weeks before it went altogether. Hoping you're lucky and it stays with you.
Cheers
Ellie

jra40 11-08-2011 06:45 AM

Welcome Pat! My hair took about 2 1/2 weeks after chemo to start falling out. It was gradual so I decided to shave it since it was shedding all over the house and my clothes. After I shaved it, it was kind of liberating for me. I made sure to have a good wig in place before it fell out, helps in the process of dealing with the hair loss. I now have a full head of hair so remember that the hair loss is temporary.

I had the Nuelasta shot too and I took Aleve for the bone aches I was experiencing.

You've been through alot already - hope things will be getting better for you!

Jessica

snolan 11-08-2011 08:18 AM

Mine started falling out at 3 weeks. I just shaved my head as it was getting to messy. I did not do the wigs (I'm too cheap) just did the scarfs and hats, was a little cold during the winter. Getting my first hair cut this Friday. Hoping the cowlick stay, kind of like the curly look.

tricia keegan 11-08-2011 08:44 AM

Hi Pat, I lost mine day 17 but had adriamycin, it took about two weeks for all of it to go and my scalp was very sore and tender until it was all gone.
Just remember it IS temporary:)

patz64 11-15-2011 11:11 PM

Well, I had my second chemo today. I took some claritin tonight to prepare for tomorrow's neulasta injection. My hair started falling out pretty badly last Wednesday, so I got it cut really short (and I actually like it). It is still falling out every day in the shower, but at least it's not as messt now that it is so short. I am just taking it one day at a time. i'm not going to rush into shaving my head...I will just do it when I'm ready. Right now the hair is getting really thin, and I have a small bald spot in the back that I can still cover with hair. I am prepared with a TON of hats, and one wig so far, and some scarves. One day at a time!!!!

jra40 11-16-2011 07:03 AM

Stay strong Pat! It's probably the toughest part of this whole process but always remember that it is TEMPORARY.

YellowTail 11-16-2011 09:04 AM

Hi Pat, it sounds like the choices you have made regarding your hair are just right for you. I did the same thing went from long hair to short and then when the tingling scalp began I had it cut even shorter probably to 1" in length, I loved both short cuts. I did order a wig and in the meantime my hair began to fall out, I thought it made me look sicker than I was actually feeling so off to my hair stylist again and we shaved it off. Like JRA40 it was a liberating experience - my children, hubby and friends loved it, they all like it when I am bald or wear bright scarves. It was hard to sleep with the tingling scalp then when I was bald I found it very cold on my head and neck, I still sleep with a night cap so much warmer. I am now waiting for it to grow back now-my hair is like peach fuzz right now. I did not loose my eyebrows entirely until after my third round of taxol. I still have my eyelashes and I am going into my 2-week after all my chemo treatments.

Pat, remain strong and embrace the changes we go through on this journey. I think of myself as a butterfly it is a lovely process of rebirth.

Take good care.

BonnieR 11-16-2011 10:23 AM

My hair loss with a gradual thinning. Shedding. I never lost all my hair entirely. Sort of looked like an ostrich! Never had the itching. Hated wigs. Mostly wore some sort of hat. I like the look of bald women. Attractive and strong.
Keep the faith.