HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   worried and wanting feed back from sisters (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57693)

pibikay 04-01-2013 07:08 AM

worried and wanting feed back from sisters

Hema is finding it difficult to swallow (I think she has forgotten how to ) She keeps the food in her mouth and after lot of persuation swallows it,I an giving her food now fully blended.
The Onc said that it is an aftermath of the WBR she had last year and it will go off.
The other thing is she is not able to control her bowels.She says she wanys and before the minure is over she wets the diapers.
She is on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin now.
I will be gratefull for some feedback and alternative options.

Thanks and wisihing all the best
PBK

BonnieR 04-01-2013 09:40 AM

Re: worried and wanting feed back from sisters

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't have any solid advice but wanted to acknowledge your concern. Do you have access to a dietician who might help with the nutritional/feeding aspects? Are the bowel symptoms related to medications? I hope you are being persistent with her doctors in order to resolve these things and improve quality of life for you both.
Keep the faith

ElaineM 04-01-2013 03:19 PM

I second Bonnie's advice. Can you also make smoothies and soup? Those things will get some more nutrition in her until she can swallow well. Diarrhea or urinary problems can be side effects of many cancer medicines.
Ask her doctors for help.
Take good care of yourselves.

LeahM 04-01-2013 04:01 PM

I have no advice but wanted to add my name to the list of folks praying for you
Leah

KDR 04-01-2013 04:05 PM

Pibikay,
Lentil soup is warm and delicious and goes down easy, and it's also very good for diarrhea. I think many on Tykerb have the same problem. Wondering, have you considered physical therapy?
Also, I remember a recent post that had T-DM1 coming your way, or a means of access to it?
As always, wishing you both the very best,
Karen

KsGal 04-01-2013 06:40 PM

Im sorry to hear this. My doctor told me that even years after whole brain radiation complications can show up. I hope that this goes away soon. Sending lots of prayers.

Jackie07 04-02-2013 01:11 AM

She might have been experiencing the problem because the weak signal from her brain. It's also possible to have been related to her menopausal status. Many women experience similar problem because of diminished estrogen and the weakening of the tendon holding the bladder.

Perhaps she can go to bathroom on a schedule (every 1-2 hours and before and after each meal/drink/exercise/nap/sleep time) Then the diaper will be able to catch the accident when it happens.

Sending both of you good vibes.

Redwolf8812 04-02-2013 05:02 AM

praying...

- Penny

NEDenise 04-02-2013 08:43 AM

Adding my prayers too!
Denise

snolan 04-02-2013 02:12 PM

Speech therapy may help with the swallowing if it is a functional issue or neurological. Toileting schedule may help with the accidents during the day. Usually every 2 hours, less if needed. It will take some practice to get the body trained.

Paty 04-02-2013 09:40 PM

Pibikay,

I have no advise on the problem, however, my radiation oncologist once mentionned that I could experience the problem of swallowing my food, she also mentionned that it was suppos to be a temporary event. Just want to let you know that I hold you both in the distance and I am praying for both of you. Hugs.

Mtngrl 04-03-2013 08:05 AM

I'm sorry for these difficulties. It must be trying for both of you. I pray that you find ways to improve the situation.