HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Joe passed on this evening (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46376)

Danielle 08-13-2010 01:12 AM

Joe passed on this evening

Hi, everybody. My name's Danielle, and I'm Christine and Joe's daughter. I might have met some of you over the past few years at many of the events our group has attended. And those of you who I haven't met, I just want to let you know how proud my parents have always been to be among a network of such amazing, inspiring, and forever enduring fighters. They've talked about so many of you like you're dear, old friends -- many of you they haven't even properly met!!

I just wanted to let you know my dad passed on tonight. He'd been fighting his own battle with stage 3 lung cancer, diagnosed in January, and as his primary caregiver, I can say the past few months have definitely been a battle. My father was always such a delightful and motivated human being, as if that weren't so evident by this group, and just know there wasn't a month that passed where he ever lost his smile. (The last time my family was all together was my mom Chris's birthday on Wednesday the 4th. Dad made an amazing seafood linguine, and it was so nice to have an afternoon with me, my mom, dad, and sister all together. And just a few days ago, during a home nurse's visit, he stuck out his tongue and mooned me!) And just know our lovely little dog, Belle, is trying her very best to keep our spirits lifted through such a difficult time. And that he died peacefully here at home with my mom, his sweetheart of 27 beautiful years, by his side. There's no doubt he's an honorary HER2+ angel.

Much love to all of you,
Danielle

Ellie F 08-13-2010 02:18 AM

Re: Joe passed on this evening

Danielle
I am so shocked and upset to read this post and I know everyone else on the board will be.
I had no idea that your dad was ill and fighting his own battle against this illness, but I suspect that would be the way he wanted it.
My sincere condolences are sent to your family at this very sad time. Your dad has left a legacy that will always be remembered. His work in our struggle against breast cancer will never be forgotten.Your parents have been an inspiration to so many in ways too numerous to mention.
I am sending prayers and comfort across the pond for our new honorary HER2+ angel and his wonderful family during this time of great loss.

Ellie

Chelee 08-13-2010 02:29 AM

Danielle, I couldn't sleep tonight so decided to check in on the board and my heart just sank when I saw your post. It's through tears that I write this. I am just taken back and in total shock...I had no idea Joe was fighting lung cancer. I just hate this damned disease...I lost my mother to advanced lung cancer 3 yrs ago so I know how difficult this had to be on you, Christine and the family. Your Dad put so much into this board for all of us...I don't know what I would of done without this board. Your father was an amazing man and loved by all of us. My heart is breaking and I can't stop the tears.

I just can't even begin to tell you how truly sorry I am. Joe always made us feel like part of the family...oh how I'll miss his posts. I never got the privilege to meet your dad in person--but he had such a big presents on this board I feel as though I knew him. I'd always hoped I would get a chance to meet him and Christine at one of the ASCO conference or other events. He was always there to help anyone that needed it. He has jumped in and helped me several times when I really needed it. He had his serious side and we also saw what a great sense of humor he had. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers at such a difficult time. My sincerest condolences to you, Christine and family. (Joe you will be missed!)

My Sincerest Sympathies.

Chelee

tricia keegan 08-13-2010 03:11 AM

Danielle,

I'm in such shock and had no idea your Dad was ill, when I saw your subject line I had hoped this referred to something else.

My tears are falling as I write this, I had never met your Dad or anyone on this site, but know in my heart a dear friend is no longer with us. I'm so very sorry, please give your Mom a ((((hugs)))) from me, and please know your dad made such an impact on so many lives across the world.

My very deepest condolences to you and all your family. xx

michka 08-13-2010 03:18 AM

Danielle. I also am so shocked and I am crying. Joe brought hope and strength to our HER2 community. He did so much for us. He defined himself as a "proud webmaster" but we were the ones to be honored to have such a guide. You can be proud of your father. We did not know what you and the family were going through. My thoughts are now with you and our dear Christine. Joe is our Chief Angel.
Michka

Pam P 08-13-2010 04:21 AM

Danielle - I'm just stunned and numb at reading this news. I had no idea Joe was ill even. He has been such an amazing advocate, support, kind and gracious and giving to all of us with this work on this site and fighting for better cancer treatments. And from your post it sounds like he was an amazing spirited funny and loving dad and husband. My deepest sympathy to you and to Christine and the rest of the family. Pam

whatz 08-13-2010 04:35 AM

Danielle,
I can only echo what everybody else has already put so eloquently in words. I've only been a member on this board for a short time but your dad has created a great legacy, helping countless people. I think he can look down from heaven and say "yes, I've run my race well". My deepest condolences for your loss. May god comfort your hearts.

Sheila 08-13-2010 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Christine, Deborah and Danielle
I am so sorry to read this news....I just spoke to your Dad last week on the phone, I knew he was fighting the lung cancer, we spoke of how he had just gotten out of the hospital with pneumonia..he was so positive...not ever IF I beat this but when....his voice was raspy from the radiation, but he was enduring all the things most of us have endured like a trooper....and not wanting to share this with the group...not wanting to add his own burdens to ours...I think there were only a handful of us that he told, and he did not want everyone to know, so as not to disrupt the Her2 Community.

You Dad/Husband is a hero to all of us....and yes he is a Her2 angel, the leader of the Her2 angels....his presence and love for all of us will be sorely missed.

RIP Joe, you have earned peace after helping so many...tears will be shed everywhere for you today.

kcherub 08-13-2010 06:03 AM

Danielle,

I just don't know what to say...I am in total and utter shock. Your Dad was such a wonderful, caring and kind man. I can actually see why he would not have let us know what he was going through himself--just another selfless act on his part.

My heart breaks for you, for your Mom, for all of us and for all of the women who come here in the future who will never know what a great person he was.

Big hugs and much love,
Krista

Kimberly Lewis 08-13-2010 06:18 AM

So sad to hear this! Thanks for your post Danielle. Your family is in our prayers of course. This website was a lifeline to me when I needed it most. I understand his keeping it to himself. He and your mom are so very precious to so many...
Celebrating a life of compassion - here's to Joe!

jhandley 08-13-2010 06:26 AM

Hi Danielle
He was a true gentleman and we will miss him dreadfully. He was such a rock for us all even all the way "down under". Did he have any words for us? You know tears will be shed for him all over the world. Praying for you all.

Jackie (down under)

Carolyns 08-13-2010 06:29 AM

This is such a shock to read. Peace to you and your family during these most difficult times.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn

DanaRT 08-13-2010 06:49 AM

Stunned and sad. A hero to so many.

Love,
Dana

Hopeful 08-13-2010 07:06 AM

Danielle and Christine,

Like almost everyone else here, I had no idea that Joe was ill, and am shocked and saddened by this news. His gift and his legacy to us of this community will ensure that he is never forgotten by those of us affected by this disease. I wish I had words to tell you how sorry I am that he was taken from us so soon. I hope you will find peace in knowing how loved he is by so many of us that he touched and never met. You are all in my thoughts.

Hopeful

kimber 08-13-2010 07:07 AM

I feel so very sad. . .. Thanks to your father (and husband) that I found this site. It helped me more than you could ever know. It still does.

He was a God send. I type with tears for a man that I had never met but feel like I have known for years. . . .

My love to you all.

Kim

PinkGirl 08-13-2010 07:27 AM

This is such sad news. My sympathy to Christine, Danielle, Deborah
and Belle. Joe will be missed and remembered.

TanyaRD 08-13-2010 07:53 AM

Christine, Danielle, Deborah,
I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. I had the opportunity to speak with Joe about 2 months ago and could hear that he was quite ill but remained full of a positive spirit. He continued to speak only of the multitude of future plans he had for this group. I hung up from the call truly inspired by his attitude. My thoughts and prayers are with each of you during this difficult time.

Gerri 08-13-2010 07:55 AM

"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him." - Yogi Berra

There will never be another Joe; he reached out and touched the lives of people all around the world. I am so sad to think that he is gone, but he will live on through his life's work - our community of friends.

Rest in Peace Joe. You will be missed.

adelay 08-13-2010 07:56 AM

My prayers are with you, may the Lord bless all of you.

Montana 08-13-2010 08:05 AM

Danielle,

I'm saddened to hear the news about your father. My deepest sympathies to you and your sister and your mom.