HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hi from Adriana- Brain MRI- mixed results + (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59389)

Adriana Mangus 10-26-2013 05:50 PM

Hi from Adriana- Brain MRI- mixed results +

Hi everyone,

Just checking in with everyone.

Here's the latest:

Had Brain MRI about a week ago, doctor said mixed results with marked improvement in one area but some worsening in the other--don't know which part of the brain he's taking about? Doc said not to worry since it could be necrosis. Will see Doc/Radiology Oct 31st and will post results.

October 24 had a guided needle biopsy; it went well, minimum bleeding, felt great afterwards, went home had dinner with family. Yesterday doctor called and said the surgeon did not get to the tumor, just the lung tissue, so it came back negative for cancer. I will have to have yet another biopsy done or a bronchoscopy-----he mentioned the latter is a much better procedure since the tumor is down the pipe near the trachea. I have been upset since yesterday, I felt sooo good after the biopsy and confident that the surgeon had gotten a big sample off my lung. It's not the end of the world but can't help to feel a little angry!! Now, the biopsy is much needed in order to have the sample sent to Foundation One for the tumor profiling test. The one I had at home and sent to them wasn't big enough for Foundation One to run the test. So, what do you guys think? Am I wasting my time and energy? Should I proceed with the biopsy. I need some TLC, I feel so depressed today, and this is not me. Any comments will be appreciated, even if you have no opinion either way about my getting the biopsy. Thank you, I needed to vent so bad. Hugs and love to all. Addie

LeahM 10-26-2013 07:04 PM

Re: Hi from Adriana- Brain MRI- mixed results +

I don't have any advice, but here is a tender, loving hug.

Pamelamary 10-26-2013 07:12 PM

Adriana, the biopsy was a bit of bad luck, but perhaps after you have "de-stressed" you will feel able to try again. It should rest on how important you and your docs regard the tumour profiling.
Hope your Halloween appointments bring only the best of treats!
Warm wishes..... Pam

SoCalGal 10-26-2013 10:30 PM

Sorry to hear that news -- one of the things I hate the most is the non-definitive test result/biopsy/scan etc. I never even knew this was a possibility until I wasted a contrast MRI super-sexed up ultra brain scan (I can't recall the actual test name) and it was non-definitive. So frustrating!!! I know you will regroup and hang in there. Keep us posted. Sending a huggggg!!!!

NEDenise 10-26-2013 11:53 PM

Sheesh!
Can't things ever be easy when we need it most?

I know it's easier said than done but... try not to worry ahead of the news.
Stress is bad for us on our best days... and girl!...
I can't remember my last "best" day... how 'bout you?! :)

I have no knowledge about lung mets or the biopsies that go with them.
But necrosis?! I feel like I could write a book.
The shadows and images on those MRIs are so nebulous.
This, from the woman whose brain stem looks just like the Mickey Mouse Club emblem.
For 3 scans in a row, the docs kept saying new disease... and I kept saying "I don't see it".
Now, they agree it's necrosis.

Hang in there. Sending prayers for peace of mind, and healing.
And for a healthy dose of good judgement for the members of the team that's cared for you so well this far.

Denise

Paty 10-27-2013 10:44 AM

Adrianaaaaa!!!! Amigaaaaa!!!! Animoo!!!!

I think you should go for the biopsy. I understand there are times and things that make us unhappy, specially when it is not our fault, but somebodyelse's. If you have the biopsy, you will get additional information that if you do not, so, better get it. Relajate y no pienses en ello, hasta el dia que tengas que ir a hacerlo. Cuidate mucho!! Love you!

Paty

Mary Anne in TX 10-27-2013 11:29 AM

Hey, I send another big hug & prayer. Sometimes the journey to "You're OK" is truly the pits. But sure feels good to get there. I'll sure be believing good news for you.

Cat 10-27-2013 01:34 PM

Sending hugs and good wishes for Halloween to be happy. I think we all understand the frustration of mistakes and take it hard because it is so critical to our health but give it a little time and see how you feel about the bronchoscopy after the anger and frustration wear off. You may see it differently and more clearly especially if the results will affect treatment etc.
good luck with all of it.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-27-2013 03:51 PM

Hey Addie!

I'm a big believer in necrosis. Stable since '99 with some hiccups this past yr, but benign was a gift and the bottom line. The agitation of prep and recovery which lasted mnths has mostly subsided for me.

I did feel anger for you, Addie! Failed biopsy???!!! How infuriating. Yet, you must move on. And I know you know that.

The needed tissue is a thing I believe in beyond hearing benign, finding additional info is critical.

I asked my surgeon last June for some extra tissue just in case I had cancer, which I believed 99.9% I did NOT, and he immediately, without hesitation, waved his hand and said, I'm not getting any extra tissue! Dismissed.

Last time I checked, we were talking about MY body. Bastard. No discussion.

Well, you vent away. I find it incredibly relieving myself. And this is the place to do that to your heart's content. We get it. All too well. No deaf ears here.

Just love -- and HUGS too of course!!

Andi

sassy 10-27-2013 04:08 PM

Adriana,

Vent to your hearts content and know that we are all in your corner holding you up with love and support. Give yourself a day or so to calm your emotions then make your decision on how to proceed.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pray 10-28-2013 11:09 PM

I'm praying very hard for you. Gods blessings to you and your family.

Jackie07 10-29-2013 06:54 AM

Addie,

Indeed it is frustrating!

Vent as much as you feel like it. We are listening...

Sending you good vibes.

caya 10-29-2013 07:25 AM

Hey Addie, vent away - that's why we are here. No one "gets it" like we do!

I am sending lots of prayers and hugs for good scan results on the 31st.

all the best
caya

Ceesun 10-30-2013 08:10 PM

A.D. .....Addie, You know I love you and am always pulling for you! We both have stubborn lungs and the same birthday!! Just want to wish you the best with the biopsy and further treatment. You have a right to feel as you do, you have been at this a long time. But you are one shining star who has managed to live and thrive despite having breast cancer. With love and Admiration, Ceesun aka "Cee"

Sherryg683 10-31-2013 08:05 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this, the "wait and then wait some more" games we hae to go through is truly harder than just getting the cold facts right away. I am not very patient and I would want a conclusive biopsy for myself. I will be praying for you....sherryg

KsGal 11-05-2013 01:26 PM

Dear Addie-
Lately it seems like I am a day late and a dollar short keeping up with responding to all the threads on the site. Im sorry I didnt respond to your thread sooner. I hope you are feeling some better now, but Im sending you big cyber hugs anyway and lots of prayers. Always remember how much everyone here cares about you, and that you are never alone.
I agree with Sherry in that I would get the biopsy redone so I could get the very best directed treatment based on the results. I had a couple nodules in my left lung that turned out to be nothing cancerous at all, so we can all hope and pray that your results will be similar.
I had two lesions left in my brain a few weeks out from WBR, and they are thinking now that they were necrosis and not tumors after all. And like Denise said, she could write a whole book on necrosis. I think that it must be a pretty common misdiagnosed finding. I also had an area of necrosis in my liver that they thought was a lingering tumor.
I went to nursing school and worked in the medical field for over 15 years, and my doctor seems to not recognize that and explain everything to me on a preschool level. Sometimes it makes me angry, and sometimes I just have to laugh because its so silly. But one day he sat and looked very serious at me and said...the thing in your liver is like a dead horse. The horse is dead, but the carcass is still there decaying. o.O Even though I felt like karate chopping him in the adam's apple and hollering..I know what necrosis is!!!!! I just smiled and nodded and said, good deal. So...here's hoping for horse carcasses in your brain!
And of course, as always...big hugs to you, lots of prayers and positive energy. Jody

Jackie07 11-19-2013 06:01 AM

Addie,

How did the appointment with the Radiation Oncologist on Halloween go?