HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   9 years this week (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45603)

Pam P 06-12-2010 04:42 AM

9 years this week

Hi - just checking in to say that it is 9 years this week since I was dx & had my mastectomy. Seems like yesterday/seems like a lifetime ago.

So far the xeloda/tykerb/herceptin/aromasin combo has been pretty easy on me. I'm having some hfs problems and had one really bad split on the side of my foot which has been painful but so far nothing else.

I did try painting my feet with henna one time - don't think it did much to help but I'm sure I need to do it regularly to make a difference. I was surprised that the henna didn't really stain my skin like I thought it would.

Haven't seen any posts from Sheila lately and hope she's doing well. Also wondering about JML - Jessica. She had the novalis and the liver treatment last week and I hope it was successful and she's doing well.

I don't know yet how this combo is working for me. I have scans on July 6 so will know more then. So glad to know the tdm1 is getting closer as an option.

Love this site - love all of your help and support. Pam

Sheila 06-12-2010 05:29 AM

Re: 9 years this week

Pam...I checked in and what good news to read your post...you are 1/2 year ahead of me...CONGRATS on 9 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!I am still recovering from the aftermath og the surgery...all the cytology reports were neg, but they usually are...doesnt mean the cancer didnt cause the pericardial effusion, or maybe the Avastin....the metronomic chemo is OK...too soon to tell the effects...I do have some nausea, which is a first for me. I am having a problem with swelling on the node involved side of my neck...see the throat surgeon and cardiologist next week. So glad the xeloda combo is working for you and easy on you.....hope I get my pep back soon...I know I am not myself when I dont want to shop!!!!
You will be in my prayers for perfect scans next month...You deserve a break Pam!

Ellie F 06-12-2010 08:56 AM

Hi Pam
Glad you posted and are coping.I am also pleased that T-DM1 is moving nearer and hopefully some other targeted treatments.
Your bravery and courage is inspiring.
Ellie

tricia keegan 06-12-2010 03:22 PM

Hi Pam,

It's always encouraging to see posts like your's, and I want to send warm hugs and congrats to you on none years!!! :)

I also echo Ellie's thoughts on the T- DM1 getting closer and wish you huge luck for your upcoming scans:)!

ElaineM 06-12-2010 03:51 PM

I am so glad to see your post Pam. I hope the Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda/Aromasin is working for you. In the meantime I am glad the side effects have been manageable so far,except for the hand/foot syndrome.
Keep looking for help for that. In the meantime keep putting a good fragrance free cream on your hands and feet. I wonder if good old petroleum jelly would help?
I read something about olive oil helping dry peeling skin, but I don't know if it works. Take good care of yourself.

Patb 06-12-2010 05:27 PM

Congratulations on nine years and I am glad to
know your new combo is tolerable. Take care.
patb

Jackie07 06-12-2010 05:37 PM

Congratulations, Pam.

Thank you and other fighters like Sheila who have endured so much and are willing to share your triumphant journeys with others.

Wish you a good scan July 6th! Love your hairdo.

vlcarr 06-12-2010 10:33 PM

Congrats to you on 9 years! Wishing you the very, very best on your scan.

jml 06-13-2010 08:31 AM

Bravo, Pam!
9 years of enduring this disease with grace, courage & focus, all while still providing encouragement & compassion to those of us that are on this journey with you. Your support & friendship has meant the world to me.
So glad you're tolerating the meds well, hoping the HFS continue to be manageable, and most importantly, hoping those drugs are doing their job!
I did have the Novalis & chemo-embo to my liver w/adria last week - just 5 days apart. It was pretty intense and I was wiped out for a few days, but now
the pin holes in my head from the head frame are healing nicely, though my scalps is still a bit numb.
2 days after the embo I was having some discomfort from the treatment, but that's subsided now too. I think I can even feel a difference in my liver...
No scans for 4 weeks though. In the meantime, continue with Ixempra.
May TDM1 become a reality for us all very very soon.

Hugs~

Jessica

Laurel 06-13-2010 11:58 AM

Pam,

9 years of kicking this beast's butt! Wow! You are my hero!

Joan M 06-13-2010 03:25 PM

Pam,

Congratulations! You are an inspiration!

Joan

Ceesun 06-13-2010 06:39 PM

Pam, Wishing you all the best and keep up the good fight! Ceesun

caya 06-13-2010 06:55 PM

Hi Pam,

Congrats on being 9 years out- another true Warrior Woman!
Keeping my fingers crossed that the July scans are perfect...

all the best
caya

chrisy 06-13-2010 08:49 PM

Pam, keep up the fight - your refusal to surrender to this stupid disease is such an inspiration.

Praying that the current cocktail is turning things in the right direction for you.

Take care
Chris

jhandley 06-14-2010 07:04 AM

well done Pam..I am also a 9 year survivor. Hang in there!
jackie (down under)

PinkGirl 06-14-2010 09:15 AM

Congrats Pam! I'll be thinking of you on the 6th and will have
all my fingers and toes crossed.

sally 06-14-2010 08:48 PM

Congats on your 9 years. I know how you feel when it seems like yesterday--seems like forever. I hope you continue to do well. You'll be in double digits before you know it. Scary though, isn't it. You wonder how long can a human get endless chemo and radiation and scans before it gets the best of us. I don't mean to be negative. I just think of it a lot and it worries me. Well take care and stay strong and enjoy life. Sally

Catherine 06-14-2010 09:39 PM

Hey Pam,

Congratulations on the 9years. We will all be hoping for a good results from you scan in July. This site is the best and so are all of you!

Catherine

Gerri 06-15-2010 06:58 PM

Pam,

You are an amazing warrior and always offer your support to everyone here no matter what you are going through. Thank you for all you contribute. I look forward to your post 9 years from now.

Emelie B 06-16-2010 07:11 PM

9 years! What a wonderful, magical, inspiring messagefor the rest of us.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful anniversary with us.
Keep on keeping on!