HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do Bone Mets Show Up on PET/CT? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45619)

Cal-Gal 06-13-2010 10:38 PM

Do Bone Mets Show Up on PET/CT?

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just finished my 52 weeks of Herceptin 2 weeks ago--yahoo--

The last 20 months, I have had regular CT's-PET/CT's and MRI(head) etc--nothing showing at all--thank God!

However, I have been in excrutiating pain in my hips and knees-so my Onc ordered a bone scan, which I had last Friday, I am a nervous wreck that I have never had a bone scan until now??? Is that normal???--perhaps no reason to, since I am Stage 1/No Nodes--???

Would bone mets have shown on any other tests? of course I am worried since I see so many of you have bone scans?

Thanks in advance----

Jackie07 06-13-2010 11:20 PM

Re: Do Bone Mets Show Up on PET/CT?

From the American Cancer Society site, it looks like several tests can detect bone mets:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/co...6.asp?sitearea=

Congratulations on completing your treatment.

I was also worried about my bones (because so many of our members have had bone scans :)and requested for a bone scan back in 2008. It did not find anything. But two years after the bone scan, I found the cervical vertebrae degeneration through neck x-ray (c-scan) because of neck pain (I was so sure that I'd had bone mets at the time.) Since I'd had Tamoxifen for about 5 years before the problem arose, I would think the chance for you to have bone problems at this point is slim.

Perhaps arthritis? Side effects from Herceptin? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Pam P 06-14-2010 04:15 AM

I have bone mets and yes they always show up on pet/ct scans. So if yours have been clear I think your pain is caused by something other than mets. A bone scan might be able to detect other causes like arthritis. I've never had excruitiating pain from my bone mets so that too makes me think yours is something else.

Darlene Denise 06-14-2010 06:09 AM

Pet/CT is very good at picking up lytic lesions of the bone but not blastic lesions. Blastic lesions are seen on Bone Scans. Did your onc say your calcium or alkaline phos were high? That can also be a tip that bone mets may be the case.

Hope it's just some old age creeping into those bones!!!

Good Luck and let us know....Darlene

Cal-Gal 06-14-2010 06:50 AM

HI Jackie, Pam and Darlene,

I don't have any of the symptoms of bone mets--except the pain--

All other symptoms are negative---I have NOT had high calcium, infact it has been low on a few occasions and I have had to have an infusion of Calcium--don't know if I have ever had alkaline phosphates done?

I am praying for great results in the next few days!!!

Thanks for your support!!!

tricia keegan 06-14-2010 12:46 PM

Hi Cal gal,

I think if nodes are clear they don't do a bone scan, only if they're positive in case it spread elsewhere.

Earlier in the year I had a lot of bone pain (back and hip), had a bone scan and one area lit up. I then had an MRI which was inconclusive, pet/ct which was clear but as the spot was too small to biopsy I had to wait two months to repeat the mri.
Glad to say it was clear, not sure what exactly showed up on the mri/bone scan but as blood work was okay my onc was happy to declare me still NED.
I thought this may give you more reason to feel hopeful, and will be keeping good thoughts for you:)

P.S....I forgot to mention I recently saw a Physical therapist who along with my GP diagnosed sciatica!! Not pleasant but better than cancer!

Cal-Gal 06-14-2010 01:09 PM

Thanks Tricia,

I agree that being Stage 1, Node Negative--they most likely perform the core tests--infact initially my insurance--(great insurance )would not cover my PET's due to Stage 1/Node Negative status---ultimately they did---

I am hoping for something easy like arthritis vs cancer!!!!

Have a great day--

sally 06-14-2010 08:41 PM

Bone Mets can be tricky on a scan. I think active bone marrow can also light up on scans. If you have been on any WBC shots to boost bone marrow it could give a false reading, I think. I have mets to the spine and it is extremely painful. I also had mets on my pelvic/hip area that hurt. I currently have a spot on my arm and one on my collar bone area that the Dr. said I wouldn't be able to feel them and I don't. Maybe it depends on size/depth, everyone is different. I hope some of this helps. Sally

Cal-Gal 06-14-2010 10:48 PM

Thanks Sally--I appreciate the note--have a great evening--

Cal-Gal 06-19-2010 07:04 PM

Thanks everyone--

Bone scan was clear---my knees have some degenerative stuff going on, as well as my big toe, but clear for mets!!!

Onc said hip pain and knee pain should get better w/time

Chelee 06-19-2010 07:32 PM

That's great news...now you can breath again.

Chelee

tricia keegan 06-20-2010 01:16 PM

Great news, so happy for you:)