HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Horrible anxiety about upcoming scan.... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53289)

gqmom 02-27-2012 02:35 PM

Horrible anxiety about upcoming scan....

Hi everyone...I have a chest ct coming up next week to monitor a lung nodule I posted about previously....my anxiety is just awful. I actually have had anxiety my whole life and this whole ordeal has been so difficult for me mentally....I have done everything I can think of....walking, deep breathing, meditation, massage, meds.....nothing really helps. I'm so scared that this stupid nodule is going to be something....it's all I think about. I've told myself I have two roads to choose from: faith or fear. I know the one I want to travel, but my mind keeps going down that dark and twisty road!! :)

BonnieR 02-27-2012 03:10 PM

Re: Horrible anxiety about upcoming scan....

Hi ggmom! You may have noticed that I left some footprints ahead of you on that dark and twisty road! We all detour there at one time or another.
But it can be such wasted energy to dwell on the unknown or project the worst. There will be plenty of time to do that if indicated. As I told someone earlier, just because something lights up on a scan does not make it cancer. Myself and many others have been in that same spot. Scans are sensitive and pick up all sorts of things that are benign.
I might suggest that you try a different anti anxiety med. Have you taken Ativan? I found it helpful to get through stressful times.
I have been told that the mind can only be thinking of one thing at a time. So make it something positive. Keep the faith

Mtngrl 02-27-2012 03:39 PM

If you are a praying person you might try a short, simple prayer you say over and over again, half on inhale and half on exhale. The classic Christian "breath prayer" or "heart prayer" is the "Jesus Prayer." It is: "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Say it over and over again--100's of times a day if need be. I think any similar phrase that fits your beliefs could be substituted if you're not a Christian.

It might also help if you get outside in the sun and get some fresh air.

It's hard to calm the mind, but it's a good skill to learn.

Good luck!

Jackie07 02-27-2012 03:50 PM

Hubby has been taking anxiety meds for a while. He has found the daily 30-45 minute walk (prescribed by his cardiologist) really helps.

Talking to friends/family about your anxiety also may help. Coming to the Board to share your feeling is an important first step. You can also try write your feeling down in a word file or a piece of paper. Just pour it all out - the process itself often helps me to calm down.

Knowledge is power. Check out the 'calling all stage IV sisters' thread and read about their triumph stories. I get encouraged by them - knowing that (just in case) even a metastasis is manageable/treatable.

tricia keegan 02-28-2012 02:58 PM

I have to echo Bonnie's comments but also agree with Jackie on walking being beneficial and relaxing.
However it does'nt stop you worrying and when I faced a scare two years ago I went through the same stress but tried to convince myself I could'nt change the results so opened my mind to accept any news!!
Its not easy and my thoughts and good wishes are with you:)