HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Not ready (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58235)

'lizbeth 05-30-2013 08:21 AM

Re: Not ready

Anne,

I'm sure your liver will be just golden!

I'm with you on the pain, none, no thank you!

You are the first I've heard of to do this procedure. We will all be holding our breath to hear how your day goes and are keeping our fingers crossed that you will get rid of those pesky mets.

ammebarb 05-30-2013 08:48 AM

Sending my prayers and best wishes for a painless procedure and great success! I'll be thinking of you.

Barb A.

KsGal 05-30-2013 02:52 PM

Ann! My liver biopsy about made me jump out off the table. I don't know what it is that they use to "numb the area" with, but it sucks! My liver sure as heck wasnt numb. lol Tell them they better give you a twilight sleep or load you up on something good! Put a post-it note on your forehead that says..." need lots of pain meds" so they ALL know.
I've never known anyone who has had this procedure either, but as a liver mets sister, Im waiting right along with everyone else for you to update us after its over. Its brave people like you who open doorways for the rest of us! Lots of prayers and positive energy headed your way....its going to be a grand success.

Laurel 05-30-2013 05:55 PM

Anne,

Remember, "it is the squeeky wheel that gets the oil" so make a fuss so your pain is managed. You have been through enough to complain a bit here and there without fear of reproach.

Prayers for a simple and effective treatment!

sassy 05-30-2013 06:20 PM

Praying for you on all fronts! Keep us posted.

IrvineFriend 05-30-2013 08:58 PM

Ann,

You're in my prayers. You really have helped me through my journey and I want to thank you. I really admire you and the input and help that you give others.

-Julie

3twins 05-30-2013 09:10 PM

Prayers for no-pain and maximum results.

Adriana Mangus 05-31-2013 02:49 AM

Hi CoolBreeze,

I'm interested in hearing about everything you are going through.

Please keep us posted. This is it, it will work!!!

Love,

Adriana

Soccermom 05-31-2013 07:17 AM

Praying all goes well, Ann ! I'm always checking up in you so please keep us in mind .
XO Marcia

CarolineC 05-31-2013 09:41 AM

Ann,

Is there anyone you can talk to who has done the procedure and may have some good tips?

I know a woman who was diagnosed stage IV from the start six years ago with multiple liver mets. She takes alot of supplements along with something called Immunocal and there are no more mets. I am looking into taking it, but I don't drink dairy and I don't know if it will agree with me, so I'm on the fence right now. I think that is the key; to make your body as strong a possible. You have abit of time before your procedure to boost it abit.

Remember to keep the big picture in front of you. Your son's graduation and beyond.

Take care.

SusanN 05-31-2013 11:29 AM

Will be praying for peace, strength and wisdom...for all!! HUGS!!

caya 05-31-2013 07:50 PM

Good luck Ann - praying for an easy time for your procedure.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 06-01-2013 05:14 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Ann! xx

Paula O 06-02-2013 06:05 AM

I'm rooting for ya too! :)

Please do keep us posted,

Paula

Mtngrl 06-03-2013 01:08 PM

Good luck, Ann.

I hope it goes well and works beautifully.

lkc Gumby 06-03-2013 03:13 PM

although I have not had any hepatic procedure done, my mom had stents placed and reported significant pain.
PLEASE tell your surgeon , you want this to be PAIN FREE. They can medicate, but normally don't do so.

Soccermom 06-04-2013 09:41 AM

Thinking of you Ann!
Gentle hugs,
Marcia

sarah 06-04-2013 12:00 PM

Lots of luck, hope it's less painful than you expect and results are great, you've been through too much.
hugs and love
sarah

CoolBreeze 06-08-2013 01:48 PM

So ladies, thank you for all your kind words and well-wishes. Yesterday was my fiducial placement.

When I had the liver biopsy, I was not expecting any pain so when it hurt so badly, I nearly threw up and they had to give me IV Zofran. In everything I've done, that was the first medical procedure that had hurt and it really surprised me. I was relaxed and calm and suddenly felt like I was being stabbed.

So I was very apprehensive about repeating that experience, and this lasts a lot longer. When they do a biopsy, as you know, it's similar to a breast biopsy. They use the core needle gun and shoot it in your tumor and remove it immediately.

With this, they do many needles and have to leave them in while they take CT photos and make sure they are in the right place. They put needles in, take them out, make sure it's where they want it before they finally shoot the fiducial into you.

So I called them to tell them about my problems with pain the first time. I got a return call from a nurse who was horrible. Supercilious, rude, pretty much said "it is what it is and if you don't like it you can go somewhere else." Well, I called the doctor to complain and the doctor doing the test called me back. He asked me a bunch of questions about what kind of pain meds I'd gotten before, what my tolerance was, what I take now, etc. He said after 2 years of chemo that the tissue might be different and it might not be as painfulb ut he said he would do his best to control the pain and would add dilaudid to the versed and fentynl.

So, yesterday was the day. I was nervous. I was in pre-op and talked to the doctor again. They they took me to CT scan and did a scan with contrast, with my arms over my head (I *still* have a frozen shoulder problem so that wasn't easy). They left me in the machine, where they did the procedure so they could place needles, take pictures, see if everything was placed properly. And, I wish I could say that it was painless but that isn't the case. It hurt quite a bit at times, and honestly, I don't see how they can do it entirely pain-free. They need you awake because you have to hold your breath at specific times. it felt like he'd punctured my lung after one, I couldn't breathe in except shallowly.

At one point, they put this big needle in my liver that came out about 12 inches and then left to go look at photos on the computer and I'm lying there watching this needle above my head pinning me to the bed - I was like a butterfly pinned to a cork!

Anyway, it took about an hour and then I went to recovery. He wanted me to get to my "baseline" level of pain before I left but I'm not there yet still so that was foolish. Doctors! They wanted me there at least an hour and after an hour I knew I could walk so I said I was ready to go and they let me.

I came home and slept a few hours. Ate a bit of dinner, watched TV. Felt like I'd been kicked in the side by an elephant and couldn't take a deep breathe. This was annoying because my red cell count is low and I take in oxygen by deep breaths every few minutes! But I went to bed early and slept well and woke up today feeling like I was kicked by a horse. The breathing still hurts but is also better. So I think I will recover.

I don't want to do it again, I definitely don't. But it was not quite as bad as the biopsy, probably because of that tiny amount of dilaudid he added. I don't think versed and fentynl do anything to me at all, I've never felt them, never noticed them the three or four times I've been given it. If I do have to do it again, I'll either have him give me more or just take some of my own before I leave the house. :)

Next step is to let the fiducials "settle" or "scar in" and then I have a PET scan on the 17th. Then they will start the planning for the radiation, which will likely be at the end of June.

Lien 06-08-2013 04:04 PM

How did it go, Ann?

Hugs

Jacqueline