HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Navelbine and tumor marker (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39249)

shondagaylord 04-30-2009 12:05 PM

Navelbine and tumor marker

Another question... After my first round of Navelbine my tumor marker dropped from 97 to 60 and then to 47 second round. After 3rd round elevated to 49 and now after 4th round elevated to 51. Does this mean it has stopped working? We are going to be scanning in May and I am restarting zometa next week. I guess I will go through this 5th round and these test and then regroup for the 6th round. What is the longest time anyone has been on navelbine before it stopped working? I know it has been an easy chemo for me and I really don't want to give that up.

Thanks again

StephN 04-30-2009 01:02 PM

Hello -
Many of us have our tumor markers fluctuate some while we are on active chemo treatment. When I was on Navelbine with Taxol, mine also moved down and then up and then down again. But not wildly. Small increments should not be worrisome.

There are a few items that may influence your marker, such as coffee. I heard about that and avoid it on any day I will have markers checked. (Don't drink much of it anyway, so no problem.)

I have heard of some here who have gotten a year or more of stable disease or better on Navelbine. Usually taken along with Herceptin.

Rich66 04-30-2009 01:14 PM

Seems like the small variations now could be within the variability of the test itself. But that drop from 97 seems like a great indication.

Rendi69CA 04-30-2009 09:02 PM

Hello we started the same time on navalbine. It work for several weeks and my lymph nodes enlarge and fluid on my right lung. So the doctor stop and put me on Xeloda/Tykerb combo. So far I am doing fine. No side effect and I hope this is the drug for me. Good luck with you.

Believe51 04-30-2009 11:49 PM

Shonda, these markers are just a number, a mere part of the puzzle. They will flucuate up and down within a window of 20-25 for my husband who has male inflammatory her2+++ bc at the rare times he is stable. They will for you too but maybe not such a gap in numbers. Your numbers look great and it appears that the treatment is doing what you need it to.

Remember too, these tumor markers represent dead cancer in individuals that are tumor marker sensitive. Wishes for your continued success.>>Believe51

Pam P 05-01-2009 05:10 AM

I agree with others your tumor marker drop sounds good & minor fluctuation is normal. I was on Navelbin/herceptin & zometa for 1 yr, did well on it, then was taken off it to take a chemo break as things were stable. I was then chemo free for 6 months. Navelbine was good for me.

Colleen007 05-01-2009 03:45 PM

Hi Shonda,
I have been on Navelbine and Herceptin for more than 2 years (started in October of 2006). My tumor markers started out over 300 when I was first diagnosed and Navelbine has kept them in the 45 - 60 range. When it gets closer to 60, it is usually a sign that I have another sinus infection (and not that my cancer has progressed).
I have learned to live with the 3 week on/1 week off schedule and find this treatment very tolerable. I feel very lucky that this has worked for so long as it gives me time to spend with my family. Best of luck to you as you continue your treatments (and I hope you'll be able to stay on Navelbine).

Steph N. - I was not aware that coffee impacts the markers...I have one cup of ice coffee every day and usually have one on the way to treatment...maybe I'll have to postpone the Dunkin Donuts stop until after I leave treatment!