HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Breast Cancer News (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Military's Groundbreaking Vaccine Targets Breast Cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52800)

Rich66 01-07-2012 08:47 PM

Military's Groundbreaking Vaccine Targets Breast Cancer

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=66697

Quote:

The researchers targeted the HER2/neu protein, which is expressed at varying levels in women with breast cancer, then honed in on the 60 percent of women who express the protein at low to intermediate levels. The vaccine is a mix of the E-75 peptide of the HER2 protein and an immune system stimulant.
They started with a 200-patient trial in 2001 and followed each woman for five years. Half of the women received the vaccine -- one injection a month for six months -- and the other half was the control group.
The outcome was very promising, Peoples noted. The recurrence rate among the women in the control group was 20 percent, and 10 percent among the women who received the vaccine. “We cut recurrence in half,” he said.
This success led to the next phase of testing, the colonel said, which will begin early this year and involve 700 to 1,000 patients.
Unlike the earlier phases, however, this step will be undertaken by a commercial company, Galena Biopharma, which has the resources and manpower to undertake such a large-scale test. The company will seek FDA approval and, if received, release the vaccine for public use.
This phase will take about five years to complete -- two years to enroll, then a three-year observation period, Peoples said.
“The end point is the recurrence rate after three years,” he explained.
Meanwhile, Peoples and his team will turn their attention to a multitude of other projects, many based on the same concept that made the E-75 vaccine so successful -- using the body’s own immune system to destroy cancer cells.
They’ve already taken the same vaccine and completed a trial with prostate cancer survivors. As with ovarian and lung cancer, prostate cancer also expresses the HER2 protein.
Peoples said he’s also intrigued by a successful trial they conducted on breast cancer survivors who express the HER2 protein at the highest levels, rather than the low to intermediate levels they focused on before. In this study, they combined their vaccine with the drug Herceptin.
They conducted a small trial with 60 women, Peoples said, and when they administered the vaccine and Herceptin together, the recurrence rate dropped to zero.
“The preliminary data is very exciting,” he said. “But we need to wait and do larger trials.”

Ellie F 01-08-2012 04:51 AM

Re: Military's Groundbreaking Vaccine Targets Breast Cancer

Thanks Rich
The highlighted paragraph is very exciting. I hope soon this will progress to large scale trials. I , for one would be very interested.
Ellie

'lizbeth 01-08-2012 08:17 AM

SandraGA & I are in Dr. People's 2nd gen vaccine trials, the AE37 & GP2.

My nurse was telling me about this trial. They are very excited to work with the lower expressors of Her2.

Reoccurence rate dropped to zero on the small trial combined with Herceptin - Wow, I think we are going to hear that other C-word more often: Cure.

anna4969 01-09-2012 09:20 PM

I, too, participated in a very similar trial as Elizabeth and Sandra. I received the 2nd generation, GP2 vaccine, with Herceptin. I have a message out to my clinical trial nurse to clarify which vaccine, the E75 or the GP2, they teamed together to get that ZERO reccurence rate. I think it is probably the E75, but hoping she might tell me the GP2. Wonderful things on the horizon with the vaccines. And the great thing about them, also, is that there are very few side effects and minimal if that.

Be Well everyone.

Mtngrl 01-13-2012 12:26 PM

Yea for vaccine plus Herceptin!

I was going to post this story myself, but Rich 66 beat me to it.

My plan is to stay alive long enough to benefit from the CURE!

anna4969 01-13-2012 06:18 PM

I concur Mtngrl. :))) If there could ever be a time to have this ugly stuff, now might be it with all of the constant discoveries being made. One or two will surely get us to the cure and stop all of this suffering and sadness.

Keeping the Faith

karen z 01-13-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for this post.
karen z