HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Could this be a sign of bone mets? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62739)

thinkpositive 02-28-2015 10:52 AM

Could this be a sign of bone mets?

I've noticed that my hips get sore if I sleep on my side for a long period of time. Could this be a sign of bone mets? Anybody else had this issue? I'm 56 and hike about 25 miles a week and have had no pain in my hips or any place else other than what I experience when I sleep.

Lucy 03-01-2015 10:00 AM

Re: Could this be a sign of bone mets?

My initial reaction was that I have pain in my lower back when sleeping but I take anastrazole which causes joint pain. You being ER- you wouldn't be taking that so that wouldn't be the case for you.

How long has it been going on? Does it get better when you get up and moving? It sounds like it's not constant . . . is that the case?

I don't know how bone mets exhibit themselves so I can't really answer your question but hopefully someone else will speak up.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, I hope it gets better.

thinkpositive 03-01-2015 10:10 AM

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the response. I only have the pain when I sleep on my side for a few hours. Once I move, the pain goes away. I never have pain any other time. If it weren't for fear of bone mets I wouldn't think anything of it.

Take care

StephN 03-01-2015 01:56 PM

Maybe you need a new mattress? Once we changed to a Sleep Number bed (really just an air mattress!) my hubby and I can sleep on our sides without any trouble.

You may be pressing a nerve somehow causing the pain. Bone mets is down the list of causes for sleep position related pain.

Hope you can figure it out soon.

SoCalGal 03-01-2015 02:42 PM

What Steph said! Get a new bed. To test it out, you can put a tempurpedic thingy/mattress topper/egg crate under your side of the bed. I think as we age, our bones need more TLC. As far as I know, cancer bone pain does not come and go. And for me, thankfully, I've no bone pain although have alleged bone mets.

Saygoon 03-01-2015 03:53 PM

I have bone mets and yes, the pain usually doesn't go away without pain meds, but wouldn't hurt to let your Onc know and consider a bone scan if nothing else to ease your mind.

rhondalea 03-01-2015 04:17 PM

I had the same pain. Onset was concurrent with an ill-advised trial of Namenda, but it persisted long past the time the drug was out of my system. I believe the Namenda exacerbated the problem, but it did not cause it.

I believe I had greater trochanteric pain syndrome. My mind definitely went to mets, but the pain eased in the daytime when I was up and around, so I looked for another cause. After two or three months (which seemed like forever), the pain stopped, and and I can sleep on my side again.

Here's a link:

Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome

Here is one particularly reassuring excerpt:

Quote:

It is a common condition. It is more common in women than in men. It most often occurs in people who are aged over 50 years. However, it can also occur in younger people, especially runners. It is not clear exactly how many people develop this condition. However, one US study of 3,026 people aged from 50-79 years found that greater trochanteric pain syndrome was present in nearly 1 in 4 women and nearly 1 in 10 men.

thinkpositive 03-01-2015 04:36 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it. My mattress is pretty old. That may be the culprit. If the mattress doesn't work I will mention it to my onc.

Thanks again!

hestko76 03-01-2015 05:25 PM

I had the same hip pain..... even had some in my back. So, my oncologist ordered a bone scan and MRI of my back. Nothing showed up...... I tried a tempurpedic with adjustable hardness and it make my pains worse. So we traded it for a pillowtop firm, and it is ok most nights. Good luck!

thinkpositive 03-03-2015 10:32 AM

Thanks for your response. I do think it has something to do with the mattress. The last few nights I slept with a body pillow and had no pain. I try not to think of the worst case scenario (bone mets) when I have weird pains/symptoms but find sometimes I just cant help myself.

Take care