HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Undergarments (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38976)

BonnieR 04-18-2009 09:03 PM

Undergarments

I am still having trouble finding a satisfactory undergarment for day to day use. I have been wearing one or another Softee because I find that bras with prosthesis are too "heavy", uncomfortable. And if I use lightweight forms, then it rides up....
But Softees have their limits and really function more like tee shirts than bras...
Any suggestions?

sassy 04-18-2009 11:12 PM

Bonnie,

I'm having the same problem. I currently have a "regular" prosthesis, a lite weight, a weighted foam and softees, plus various bras that I am mulling over to try to find a suitable answer. Some of this has to go back, but I can't decide what to keep.

I didn't have this problem until I gained some weight.

I don't have the answer but will be glad to hear if anyone else does.

BarbM 04-18-2009 11:43 PM

I'm not sure if I know what a softee is. It really would be nice if someone would come up with a comfortable solution. I have a breast form that is supposed to be lightweight. Wow, I can't imagine what a regular one would be like. Mine is heavy! Oh ya, I don't dare gain weight..or lose because I always lose/gain breast cup size. This is a major issue!

Mary Anne in TX 04-19-2009 04:38 AM

I have the same problem with most bras being so uncomfortable. The one that I wear the most with the # 720 Individual Light amoena form is the # 2132 leisure lace bra that hooks in front. I got them to wear early on and found that I just went back to them more and more. I wear others when the top I'm wearing has a wider neckline, but these are really the most comfortable to me. The only bra that is comfortable to me is the amoena # 2568 Mona European seamless one.
But, boy would I jump on finding a new solution! ma

Sheila 04-19-2009 04:56 AM

I had reconstruction to get away from my prosthesis and the "military" bras, and now 5 years later I am back to wearing an Amoena "filler or symmetry shaper " prosthesis. It is hollow so as to fit over the reconstructed breast, but heavy and hot! I always had luck??? with Amoena bras, but now fing the ABC...american breast care bras to fit me better...sometimes we need a change as we gain or lose weight. I am still convinced that these are all designed by some masculine guy who spent years in the military!!!

BonnieR 04-19-2009 08:32 AM

Well, I get some comfort knowing I am not alone in this problem. It is such a daily reminder.
Barb, a Softee is a product line of comfortable camisole tops that have their own soft padding that velcro in. Mostly they are used post-op but they do have a "sports bra"style.
I wish someone made a garment for us that is similar to a padded bra. So it is one unit instead of having to constantly adjust prosthesies.
But in the bigger picture, this is just an annoyance and I can live with it......

notamrnpsn 04-19-2009 08:51 AM

undergarments.

I could not agree more. I had a modified radical masc on the left breast and a regular I think you would call it on the right one, so I have the problem of wearing two different size fillers I guess you would call them. Gets very frustrating when trying to get a natural look. I have to wear baggy tops to try and look half way decent.

PinkGirl 04-19-2009 09:38 AM

Can someone explain the difference between a simple mastectomy and a
modified radical ... other than the lymph node part.

I am seriously considering a simple mastectomy because I am not happy
being a one-boob wonder. I was hoping that I would be the same on
both sides .... yes??? no????

Mary Anne in TX 04-19-2009 02:37 PM

Pink, I've had the same thoughts of late. I just figured I'd go back to my awesome surgeon and tell him I wanted to "match"!
Is that dreaming? My right side is down to the bone!!!
You know....life is interesting with these little "life" (so glad to have it) problems! ma

notamrnpsn 04-19-2009 03:49 PM

undergarments

Pink the side I had the modified radical masc. still has a small lump of flesh . The other side is down to the bone. I dont know why they did the radical. Maybe it was because of the position my tumor was. Good question to ask my surgeon I guess. Any way I don't want any more surgery' so I guess I will live with it and just keep adjusting the fake girls. Jeanette

Debbie L. 04-19-2009 06:30 PM

Pink said: Can someone explain the difference between a simple mastectomy and a
modified radical ... other than the lymph node part.
I am seriously considering a simple mastectomy because I am not happy
being a one-boob wonder. I was hoping that I would be the same on
both sides .... yes??? no????

It's the same thing, as you describe (MRM means an axillary dissection in addition to the simple mastectomy), but even when done at the same time, it's not always a match. The surgeons are looking at us lying flat and I think that it can look different when we're upright and healed. It's easy for them to miss small bits of breast tissue or fat, and skin can sag differently - especially since they're trying to leave enough skin for reconstruction, to keep our options open. I have a small puff of tissue on one side that's not on the other (and it grows when I gain weight, alas), plus rads changed the skin on the cancer side - so naked I'm not a match but it's close enough.

I don't wear prostheses. I tried but I felt too costumed - more aware of what I'd lost, not less. I do miss my breasts, when I think about it (which is not very often anymore) but I do NOT miss wearing bras.

Pink, do you have any questions of those of us who've had bilaterals? Are you thinking reconstruction?

Debbie Laxague

PinkGirl 04-19-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks Debbie. I had assumed that both sides would look the same.
I will settle for "similar". I have no intention of having reconstruction
and I wish I'd had both breasts removed at the same time. It all
happened very quickly and I didn't think of it.

I think I'll wear prostetics for "special occasions" but I know I will be
okay going without them.

PetuniaJan 04-20-2009 06:37 AM

Hi Bonnie,
I had a mastectomy on my left breast Feb 27/09...so I am not ready for a prosthetic, I did need to go to a function and a girlfriend loaned me a Bandeau Seamless Bra(we used socks to stuff my left side, it worked in a pinch:)
One of my daughter's Laila is graduating from university next week so I intend to buy my own for that occasion(under$25 at our Bay, they are on the net as well) and it is really COMFORTABLE:)ps my right side is 36 G Can't wait for a reduction lol
Hope this helps
Love Jan

BonnieR 04-20-2009 04:36 PM

Thanks Jan. I found some online and will give this a try. There were some fun colors, too.

fauxgypsy 04-23-2009 02:08 PM

There are bras available with a permanent prosthesis built in. http://www.parkmastectomy.com/Mercha...astectomy_Bras
I haven't tried them. The first prosthesis that had was terribly heavy, I recently got a light weight on and now my bra is riding up.

Either way the bras are exacerbating the issues that I an having with truncal lymphedema and I am beginning to consider either reconstruction or a prophylactic mastectomy. I am very tired of being uncomfortable most of the time. Pink, it is an issue and I had not considered this until the lymphedema issues arose but I find wearing a prosthesis to be very physically limiting. I am not comfortable being in public lopsided and if I am exercising or anthing active outside or away from the house the prosthesis is a serious problem particularly in the summers here.

I am a sewer and there is a lot of information on the net about making bras. I have considered making my own, just to try and get one that will be comfortable. It stands to reason that taking a regular bra and putting a pocket in it is not the best solution. And most mastectomy bras are pretty much just that. The other issue that I have is that my newest prosthesis is concave on the back. I don't quite get that. Have they never seen a chest that has had a modified radical mastectomy. There is nothing convex about it.

I have considered the Janec Sports bra and the Been a Boob prosthesis that they offer. It is a Canadian product, by the way. http://www.janacsportswear.ca/

Has anyone tried this?

Leslie

fauxgypsy 04-25-2009 05:45 AM

Stephanie was kind enough to point out that sewer has two meanings. Well, hopefully you knew that I meant "one who sews." Anyway, I am bumping this up. I would really like to know if anyone has tried the Janec Sports bra. Summer is coming and I have to find something that is comfortable.

Here is a site for those who might be interested in learning more about bra making.

Leslie

http://www.andsewitis.net/braclass/class_start.html