HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MRI safe with surgical clips in chest area? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31203)

Brenda_D 11-20-2007 07:22 AM

MRI safe with surgical clips in chest area?

I have a brain MRI scheduled tomorrow, and am wondering if it's safe to do since I have several surgical clips, a med-i-port in the chest areas, and old, old Amalgam Fillings in 3 teeth.

nitewind 11-20-2007 08:19 AM

Hi Brenda,
Don't know if I can be to much help but I have the metal clips in my breast as well as a titanium hip and they still wanted to do an MRI. Had to pass on the brain MRI because I am highly claustophobic! I'm sure some others will check in with you soon.
Good luck to you
Hugs

tousled1 11-20-2007 08:21 AM

Brenda,

You should have no problems getting an MRI. Just make sure you tell them about the surgical clips, etc. My cervical spine and lumbar spine have been fused and I have titanium plates/screws in both and haveno problems getting MRIs.

kcherub 11-20-2007 08:49 AM

My husband said

Hey! My husband runs the imaging department at the MS Center of Altanta/Peachtree Neurological Clinic and here is what he said:

The fillings are fine. They may cause an artifact, which the tech and the radiologist will be aware of.

The port is fine. The only port that causes a problem is the Hickman port, which can be affected by the magnetic field. It is so weakly magnetic that is doesn't affect the patient, the port, or the scan quality.

The surgical clips (other than aneurysm clips in the brain) are fine as well.

You will need to still list the information (and your concerns) on your info sheet, so that they can account for any funky readings that might be caused by your "additions". :)

Hope this helps!

PinkGirl 11-20-2007 09:02 AM

MRI and metal

Hi Brenda
I'm sure it will be fine, but you MUST tell the technicians about it. I just had one with a low back full of metal, and it was fine.

Nitewind
I am the "queen" of claustrophobia. I had to take an ativan to go see my family doctor to talk to her about having an MRI.

I got through it. I sedated myself (with my doctor's blessing). I had the MRI on a Thursday afternoon, slept all of Thursday evening, most of Friday, and was "sort of" awake by Saturday morning. But...........they could have left me in that horrible little white tube forever.......I opened my eyes, I smiled, I hummed.....didn't have a care in the world. There's a way to get through it if you need to have one. I dreaded it for years....always said I could never do it........but with the proper "drugs" and someone to drive you home, it is doable.

Brenda_D 11-20-2007 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone. :)
My doctor's office called to remind me of the MRI, and I asked them, so they called the Radiology dept. They said I should be fine on all accounts.
I plan to take a 1/2 an Ativan before I go, since I haven't had an MRI before.

nitewind 11-20-2007 11:28 AM

Glad you got it cleared up and feel more confident about it.
Pink, thanks for the advice, I do have some ativan around here somewhere, I think it's two miligrams each. I'm a little scared to take it cause they gave it to me once in my Iv with my chemo and I didn't even remember how I got home that day. I know my sister drove me but I don't have one memory of it. That's kinda freakie to me. If the doc still insists I may give it a try.
hugs

PinkGirl 11-20-2007 01:44 PM

nite

Not remembering how you got home that day
is exactly what you're looking for!!! If you are
claustrophobic, that's the best way to get through
the MRI. Just have someone you trust with you.

Grace 11-20-2007 07:30 PM

when I had my MRI I mentioned that I had clips from gall bladder surgery and techs said no problem. But make sure you tell the folks doing the test, just in case.