HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin & discard date? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26238)

Chelee 12-07-2006 11:51 PM

Herceptin & discard date?

I did a search on the shelf life of herceptin. I found one that Gina started back in January. I had the same concern she did.

They tell me they don't mix my herceptin till I get there for my infusion. But one time I went to the rest room during my herceptin infusion. While in there I was looking at the bag on the pole and just reading the amount given, name, etc. But I noticed at the bottom of the bag on the yellow label that was made out with my name on it, "If not used before 10-15-06 return to pharmacy and discard".

I questioned this because it was one day later "10-16-06". It made me think I was getting herceptin that was pass its shelf life? I never brought it up to my infusion nurse nor anyone else there. I HAVE checked the bag each time since and the discard date has been correct now...but why is there even a discard date to begin with when I am TOLD they don't make mind up till I am sitting in the chair? Even my nurse tells me she will go tell the pharmacy I am here.

Does that mean I got herceptin that might not of been any good that one time?

Chelee

Chelee 12-08-2006 04:44 PM

I will assume nobody has an answer to this? O'well...just thought I would ask..thanks anyway.

Chelee

Sheila 12-08-2006 07:50 PM

Chelee
I would ask the pharmacy about this....its bad enough when they have milk, bread etc. past shelf life, but Herceptin????? You should get a discount on that treatment!

jener8er 12-08-2006 09:56 PM

Hi Chelee, I would bet that it is the SALINE that has the expiration date. When my nurses mix my Herceptin, again after I am in the chair, it is mixed from a small vial and mixed with a bag of saline. I would bet that that expiration only aplies to the saline (which I'm sure is fine) and that your Herceptin is WELL within the expiration date. If I evered wondered about anything like this, I would just flat out ask my nurse. Hey, they work for ME, right? :)

Bev 12-08-2006 09:56 PM

I don't know how long it lasts but I vaguely remember Gina saying not long. I have never looked at the labels, but I would guess your only choice would be to refuse treatment that day and insist they prepare something new and properly labeled for the next day.

People delay and go off Herceptin for many reasons, so I would hope one old batch won't change things. Good Luck, BB

Chelee 12-09-2006 12:53 AM

jener8er, The yellow label that was on the bag was definitely herceptin and not the saline. Every week that I have went in I always would check out the label in the rest room to see if everything was correct? Its made up just like a prescription bottles label of any medication you would get. Has the name of herceptin on it and the generic name below it "trastuzumab". Then it said how many mgs was in the bag, my name, birth date, lenght of time to infuse it, and discard date at the bottom. (Plus it even mentions it should be given in 90 minutes if its the loading dose.) So I really can't see it being saline. But thanks for trying to figure out another reason for it being that way.

Shelia, I think your right...I should get a discount on that one. Ha...I never thought of that one. I am going to have to ask my infusion nurse why it was like that? Its been driving me crazy thinking I got old stuff that might not of been fresh enough to do its job. There are reasons for discard dates...and I personally take it seriously when it comes to my herceptin.

It makes me think someone didn't show up for their herceptin...so they saved it and gave it to me instead of tossing it out since its expensive? At my next appt. I am going to bring it up to my infusion nurse to see what she says about it.

Chelee

Sheila 12-09-2006 06:13 AM

Chelee

I do know that once Herceptin is mixed, it will only last so long....so you have a right to ask....I am sure you still got the benefit even if it was a day late on shelf life....but it should not have happened! There are too many checks and balances in a pharmacy to let it go by past the date.....and its not like they aren't charging you enough for it.....kinda like getting wilted flowers, they still smell good but not the sight you want to see!

karenann 12-09-2006 10:41 AM

I used to have to wait while they mixed my Herceptin.

Karen

Chelee 12-09-2006 04:52 PM

Shelia, I sure hope your right and I did get at least *some* benefit from the herceptin. It makes me wonder now how many times they did that to me? I have checked the bag many times...but I usually go weekly and never checked it at all until about four months into it. I hope that was a one time thing?

For the price of herceptin...and the fact we receive herceptin to keep the beast away...it better of still been good. I just did a search on google...and all the pages I read sure makes it sound like it should be discarded immediately after discard date. Being a stage III'er...with positive nodes and not able to have rads...this upsets me the more I think about it. Because now I wonder how many times that happened to me?

I know I AM going to ask my infusion nurse about this...and then mention it to my onc at next appt. I better not be getting old stuff laying around so that it saves THEM money. Its always something it seems...

I sure liked your analogy on the wilted flowers. Good one!

Chelee