HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gamma Knife (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39332)

D.W. 05-07-2009 05:56 AM

Gamma Knife

I have more mets in my brain--four to be exact. I am having a procedure called gamma knife. It is an intense form of radiation.

Has anyone had this procedure before???

WomanofSteel 05-07-2009 06:18 AM

I am not familiar with this, but I know there are many in our circle who have experiene with gamma knife. I am sure you will get the answers you seek. I am praying that all turns out well for you.

Vi Schorpp 05-07-2009 07:16 AM

Look above

[Where it says, home, User CP, Register, etc.] and go to the SEARCH pull-down tab and type in Gamma Knife...there is a wealth of information for you to review and you'll find it very helpful. Some of your more specific questions will probably be answered. Good luck.

pattyz 05-07-2009 08:23 AM

My own experience in part...

My own brain mets were dx'd a bit over 2 1/2 yrs. from org. dx of Stage IIIb.

I have not had Gamma Knife. However, I HAVE had two other forms of the focalized rads to treat them, a total of 16 spred all over. I get a bit confused by the term SRS, but for the most part it has to do with the machine used... mine was Novalis using a screwed on headframe. The first was not too bad. The second and third were horrid.

Then, I 'lucked' in to a new CyberKnife Clinic in our area. I had two sessions of that, two days apart. I SO preferred that option!! As the 'headframe' was made using a form fitting plastic mask. NO frigging screws or heavy head thing for hours.

Someone here has all the down and dirty details of the diff. details. I'm sure she will get them to you...

I'm now nearly seven yrs down the road from first brain mets dx. Have been living with a certain 6 for four years, treating with 2 chemos and for two yrs., Tykerb. Now looking at something to add by oral dosage...

Best of luck to you,
xoxopattyz

Believe51 05-07-2009 09:24 AM

Hello DW, my husband has had two Gamma Knives that have worked wonders for his stubborn brain mets. We are Gamma Knife fans, this procedure is amazing for what we need it for. The success rate is very high so I feel this could help you too, even not knowing your history.

How big are your mets and do you know where they are located? It sounds like you had them before, did you do whole brain radiation? Please elaborate any details so we can help you better. If you wish you can pm me and we can talk privately if you are more comfortable.>>Believe51

Shobha 05-07-2009 11:16 AM

D.W., I do not have the knowledge regarding Gamma Knife but I am sending my prayers that the decision you make works wonders for you and your mets are gone.

hugs,
shobha

Joe 05-07-2009 01:43 PM

DW,

My wife Christine had Gamma Knife on 3 seperate occasions and they were extremely successful.

You may wish to visit our Brain Metastasis pages for more info.

There are some differences between Gamma Knife and Cyberknife, Christine's rad/onc does both and recommends Gamma Knife for Brain mets and Cyberknife for other mets such as lung, bone, etc.

The procedure is done on an outpatient basis and usually takes about 4 hours, although less than 1/2 hour is spent in the machine.

I'll have Chris call you to explain the procedure in details.

Regards
Joe

hutchibk 05-07-2009 04:15 PM

FYI - Gamma requires you to have a halo screwed onto your head. So many folks don't realize this...

Darlene Denise 05-07-2009 07:51 PM

Joe: Interested in why Christine's onc says Gamma for brain and Cyber for body. Can you give us more details?

As Always, thanks for your help.

Darlene

Believe51 05-07-2009 08:33 PM

Darlene, my guess would be since the Gamma Knife requires the head frame and it is used is used exclusively for brain mets. Cyber Knife uses different forms of restraint and is able to be used on all other areas of the body. Both can be used for the brain but size and number of mets would determine what one. There are slight differences between the two procedures, but those differences usually determine what way to lean also.

I am interested too in Joe's reply.>>Believe51

hutchibk 05-07-2009 10:01 PM

And I would just like to throw out there that IMRT is a fantastic option for brain mets. It is what I chose to have last year on 5 brain mets and it worked amazingly.

Believe51 05-08-2009 08:45 PM

Yes Brenda, your journey has always held a special place in my heart and I have personally followed you through this all. I am so thankful that these procedures are here for control of brain mets for people like you, the others I love and the people I will never meet! Both procedures are wonderful and if I think about them long enough I get all teary-eyed. These forms of radiation have saved the lives of so many. It gives us all with brain mets so very much hope.>>Believe51

PS: DW, please use the search bar in the top right corner and explore the wonders of Gamma and Cyber Knife procedures. It will be worth revising and gaining some hope and surety. Good Luck!

SoCalGal 05-11-2009 09:23 PM

Hi,
I was gamma'd in Feb of 08. So far, so good. The "screws" in the halo are very shallow. While it feels "wrong" there was no pain. I walked in at 7:00AM and was home by 11:00 AM. I only had one met, so it went fast. I rested that day, per doc's orders. I felt fine. I think I took maybe 1 mg of Ativan the whole day. And they made me take maybe one or two prednisone pills, to avoid any swelling. It was pretty simple for the end result: Met gone.

Hope this helped!
Flori

CourtneyL 05-12-2009 01:36 PM

Gamma Story (featuring me!) on the News

Hi DW,

I just had Gamma Knife 3 weeks ago to destroy 10 tumors in my brain. My onc and the first radiologist we met with recommended whole brain radiation but I pushed for Gamma because it is way less invasive and has a pretty high success rate and minimal side effects.

The morning of my procedure, I was getting fitted for the metal cage when my nurse asked if I wanted to be interviewed by a local news station who was doing a story on Gamma Knife and a lady who's stupid insurance company wouldn't approve the procedure. I gladly volunteered to speak out - hoping it would help this woman's cause. The piece just aired last night and is a good little story about the Gamma Knife procedure. It shows me in the sexy metal head frame and also includes footage of me in the machine. This should give you an idea about what you're in for. You can view the story at:

http://cbs5.com/investigates/cancer....2.1007394.html

I agree with the other posts here. Gamma Knife rocks! Didn't really have any side effects to speak of. I will get a follow-up scan in a few weeks to make sure that it worked its magic and that those nasty suckers are gone.

Wishing you all the best!

Believe51 05-12-2009 02:17 PM

Hey My Friend Courtney, although you are always in my prayers please let us know when the scans are so we can send you extra amounts of positive vibes that day. Thinking about you all the time and glad you posted. Love the avatar.>>Believe51

PS: Ed has a brain MRI on the 20th that we are praying remains clean. I do not know how many others have this done but our MRI is not the normal MRI we are used to. This particular one does the math in great detail to see the actual amount of any changes be it good or bad since Ed has had 'salted' brain mets. It is also extremely expensive. Sad but I have learned to read some of this math. Go figure!

Believe51 05-18-2009 10:13 PM

DW, thinking about you and sending a cyberhug. How are things going for you and have you decided what route you shall choose? Whatever the choice please know you are in my thoughts.>>Believe51

juanita 05-19-2009 03:23 PM

sending prayers for a positive outcome!

jones7676 05-20-2009 03:24 AM

I have had Gamma Knife two times. Once to the scar of a surgical tumor removal and this time I had to large mets and 3 little spots removed.

I tried other methods based on local recommendations (I live in an isolated area of Upper Michigan) compared to areas where more medical choices etc. are available. If you read my abbreviated history you will see I have also tried Stereotactic and life saving surgery due to it causing scar tissue to grow in my brain. That does not mean that is what would happen to you.

I personally would recommend Gamma Knife, but that is a decision you need to make yourself.

Feel free to email me personally if you would like to know why I feel that way.

Otherwise, I just recommend you find out as much as you can about all your options and make it YOUR decision.

Good luck!

Joan M 05-20-2009 07:51 PM

DW,

I did not have Gamma Knife because my brain tumor was just a little too big for a good result. Rather, I had brain surgery and then five stereotatic radiotherapy treatments to the area where the tumor was removed from.

Joan