HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Clinical Trials (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tykerb/xeloda Scan Update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29077)

IRENE FROM TAMPA 07-10-2007 05:19 PM

Tykerb/xeloda Scan Update

Well I just came back from seeing my onc. for my results to my scan.

Come August will make 1 YEAR since I began on the trial. This was my first time waiting 3 months before being rescanned. From the 2 tumors which I started out with last year, one has disappeared and the remaining one although still there, remains about the same size as my last Pet Scan 3 months ago. This is good news for me since I generally last about 7-8 months on a drug before progressing.

My CEA did elevate a bit (it's at 4.8) and my 27-29 at 45 (about the same as last one) We are a bit concerned with my CEA going up some since I am very sensitive to this marker, but my onc. is considering me STABLE and we will recheck markers again in a few weeks and then again in 6 weeks. I have a feeling that this tumor might want to start becoming "active" again but time will tell and meantime I am not too disappointed -
GONE would have been great but nothing was found anywhere else which is great.

In the event that I start having progression again, my onc's office will be beginning a NEW TRIAL which should be coming their way in about a month or so through GENETECH. I will have that as a backup plan.
They were not permitted to give me much info on it as yet but it involves HERCEPTIN which has the chemo build right into it. THIS IS VERY INCOURAGING.

So all in all, not a bad visit. I just wanted to let everyone know that this combo has done well by me and gotten me another year....
I pray that it does as well for those of you on it or looking to start. There is much out there in the future that will be coming our way ladies so keep your hopes up and try to stay strong. We are pioneers making way for those to follow and I pray that much will be learned from our struggles.

Keep the faith and take care.

chrisy 07-10-2007 05:35 PM

Irene, that is fantastic news that you have had no further progression and that the X/L has worked "extra long" for you. Also impressive that you are being so vigilant, and already have a plan for "whenever". The drug you mention sounds like the "supercharged" Herceptin we've been hearing about - very exciting to be able to specifically target the tumor with a cytotoxic agent which presumably will leave the good stuff alone while blasting the bad.

So glad to year your encouraging news - thanks for posting. I've been wondering since I knew you were due for scans...

IRENE FROM TAMPA 07-10-2007 05:49 PM

Thanks Chrissy

My other option is TYKERB/AVASTIN.

How are you doing on this combo and what are the side effects?

If this new trial thing does not work out, that is the combo I will probably go to next if I need to.

I hope you don't think I am paranoid, but I like to stay ahead of this "game" if I can and be ready.

You take care

lilyecuadorian 07-10-2007 06:54 PM

felicitaciones.....de corazon......and I'm like you try to think "this is IF"

Joy 07-11-2007 08:07 AM

Irene, Irene, Irene

I am so happy about your results and for a year-in our world that is so fantastic and who knows it could even be longer. You sound great in your post and I hope you are really enjoying life. Thank you for your wishes for those of us on this treatment. Those, to me, add to the likelihood of success. Thank you for posting and encouraging so many.

I, too, like to stay ahead and think of the next step very carefully. So I appreciated what your thoughts are for the next step.

So much love to you and yours!

tousled1 07-11-2007 08:27 AM

Irene,

That's wonderful news! I'm so happy that the T/X combo seems to be working for you. The trial you mentioned sounds to me like the "supercharged Herceptin" that I've read a few articles about. Let's just hope that the T/X continues to do it's job.

Believe51 07-11-2007 01:58 PM

Yes!!

Not only a supercharged Herceptin, there will be supercharged Tykerb. The next year may be our year of recovery. Then we have the virus that attacks only the 'bad' cells.

Could some of our prayers be answered soon??

Waiting For A Miracle....and expecting one soon>>Believe51