HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Christina Applegate 100% FREE of cancer! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35192)

kcherub 08-18-2008 08:00 PM

Christina Applegate 100% FREE of cancer!

Wow. I left a comment, although not quite as harshly as I have been reading on some of the other BC boards. You can guess which one is mine...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5606034&page=1

BTW...does anyone know what oncology group she used? ;)

Take care,

Ginagce 08-18-2008 08:22 PM

Christine Applegate

Well good for her! Either she's uneducated or she's in denial. Either way she sounds happy about it!

hutchibk 08-18-2008 08:50 PM

I am tired of "celebrity cancer patients" not talking about actual details of their diagnosis. They do a disservice to all women by talking about it so cavalierly. By speaking so absolutely, I worry that women will get a false sense of security that breast cancer can be treated and eradicated easily, and in turn don't worry too much about it...

I am happy that she is in good shape now, but I am right there with ya Gin and Krista...

Jade 08-18-2008 10:54 PM

My thinking is that she had DCIS with no invasive component and therefore feels she is free and clear. My oncologist only confirmed I actually had cancer when after the second surgery (mastectomy) the pathology showed there was an 8mm spot of invasive cancer. Until then it was defined as "pre cancer".
I agree that these women could be very helpful to the general population if they would disclose what type of cancer/treatments they had. They never seem to come out and say 'Her2' or 'hormone dependent' or 'inflammatory'. Most people, even a lot of doctors, don't seem to know there are different kinds of breast cancer.

Becky 08-19-2008 06:45 AM

I read that Christina Applegate tested positive for BRCA 1 and had a double masectomy even though only a small (possibly dcis) was found in only one breast. She will be having reconstructive surgery and then an ooph

kcherub 08-19-2008 07:25 AM

DH just relayed it to me...

Todd just watched the entire interview online, and was relaying it for me on my way to work. When I read the post last night (on another board) no one mentioned that the interview had not been released in full.

Technically, she does not have breasts, so I am thinking that is where her "not going to die from BC" thought comes from. It looks like she is doing all that she can to make that true, but we all (sadly) know that sometimes "all that we can" doesn't keep the beast away.

Like I said on my GMA post, I do wish her the best, but can't decide if she isn't aware of the continued risk (keep up those screening appointments!), in denial about the possible continued risk, putting on a brave face, or is just that optimistic!

Take care,

StephN 08-19-2008 11:16 AM

Anyone notice that BC runs in her family? Article mentions that her mother is a repeated survivor.

Guess the docs told her that having the double mast would give her the best chance and they probably find NO EVIDENCE of any cancer at this juncture, so she thinks she can say that she is "100% clean."

Jackie07 08-19-2008 12:21 PM

Thaks for providing the interesting link. USA today only had a very short piece with her picture in 'Life' section.

I can understand her making the comment after having a very stressful event. I think it is human nature for a person with a positive attitude to think "well, I am lucky because..." especially compared to what her Mother had to go through. But when it is announced to the whole world, she inadvertantly put down the 'unlucky' ones and appeared to be unsensitive and not very smart - sort of like the character she's used to playing on TV.

Many people in her blog reminded her what breast cancer really is. And reporters did use quotation marks over "100% free" and perhaps hinted on her "naiveness'. At the moment, I would just want to wish her the best.

Gerri 08-19-2008 12:55 PM

I saw this on GMA this morning and thought she was very open and honest. She said that having an MRI saved her life and she is starting a foundation to provide funding for MRIs and BRCA testing for women who can't afford them or don't have insurance. Pretty honorable, if you ask me.

Also, revealing to the world that she had a double masectomy is pretty darn brave. I didn't hear her say she is "cured", but rather that "they got all of it". Perhaps she had negative nodes, so she is inclined to believe that the cancer is now gone. I don't believe for a moment that she will not share the same fears we all do with every new ache and pain we experience. No, she doesn't state the actual pathology of her bc, but I've seen it mentioned here time and again, that all breast cancers are unique to the individual, no matter what the diagnosis. Maybe she takes her public exposure very seriously and doesn't want her celebrity status to influence the treatment decisions of other women given the same pathology.

I admire Christina Applegate for going public with such a personal choice.

Chelee 08-19-2008 04:53 PM

I found this article on Christina Applegate posted below in the "Breast cancer news" for those that want to read it.

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...260452-66.html

Chelee

ita 08-19-2008 05:13 PM

I find it interesting how some on other boards tore her apart for say she was 100% cancer free. We have to remember that she is a celebrity and she chose to reveal the bilat mast. Something she did not have to do. Would it have gotten out because of all the media around Hollywood? Probably. But she did it in her own terms and her own time.

I have to agree with Jackie7, although she has dealt with cancer because of her mother and was vigilant in her screenings, she has been hit with a bomb. The first thing most of us do think positive. God knows I'm not saying that thinking positive is wrong. I live in a world looking at life through rosed-colored glasses.

Deep down we all fear the beast will return. We all fear that something may have been missed. Why should she put all that info out to the world? Just because she didn't talk about her fears it does not mean she doesn't have them. Doesn't she deserve some time to digest everything that she has to deal with for the rest of her life?

Kcherub,

I think the answer to your question about her knowledge of her continued risk is "all of the above." Like I said before, she still needs time to digest the curve ball we've all had to deal with.

But, for this woman to start immediately to want to help others is to be commended.

In my book, she'll create a path for others to find the help they need.

DanaRT 08-19-2008 05:34 PM

I am so glad to read these messages. While I am happy for Christina, that she caught it early and doesn't need chemo or radiation, I was left with a feeling of "did I do the right thing?"
I did what was right for me and had I chosen a mastectomy I would have still had to have chemo and rads due to the Her2+++ factor.
Thank you my friends for commenting on this.

To use the term "100% cancer free and clean" - how does she truly know???

Dana

Becky 08-19-2008 07:41 PM

Especially since she was tested positive for BRCA 1 which means that she is most likely triple negative which is a pathology (like Her2+) that needs chemotherapy in most cases.

I guess we will have to wait and see if she remains cancer free.

For the record - nobody on earth is 100% cancer free. People make cancer cells all the time (but the body deals with it before a real problem occurs). So, it is an off beat remark. However, don't we all, under pressure, make the biggest fools of ourselves? All we can do is the best that we (think) we can.

RobinP 08-21-2008 07:04 AM

anyone with her exact dx?

Exactly what was Applegate's breast cancer diagnosis? I know its early stage, but is that a small invasive or DCIS or something else. Wow, I googled her name a few times, but just can't come up with the specific diagnosis.

I agree with her double mastectomy, given her BRAC1 mutation. Mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2 predispose to breast cancer and ovarian cancer so I wonder if she will be taking her ovaries out as well???