HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   breast reconstruction question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45331)

micheleu 05-26-2010 04:14 PM

breast reconstruction question

I'm almost 7 years out and had a lumpectomy. I'm just now thinking about reconstruction. Was wondering what my options are. I'm wanting some fat taken from my stomach and fill in my breast. Is that even a option?? Do they have to take muscle with it? I'm sick of sewing a breast form into my bathing suit and hoping it doesn't fall out!! Worrying about what the surgery might to do my lymphedema. Would love all your opinions!

linda b 05-26-2010 06:14 PM

Re: breast reconstruction question

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in Feb 2007, and reconstructive surgery in June 2008. I had the fat taken from my stomach for both breasts - no muscle was taken. I spent 4 days in the hospital, to make sure that the blood was flowing through the new breasts. I'm a teacher, so had the summer to recover, the doctor said that usually he requires 6 weeks off work.
I haven't had many problems with lymphedema, mostly just when it's really humid out, so didn't notice any big change after the reconstruction.
I've been really happy with the change, no more having to stuff swim suits or bras. I haven't had any problems with the surgery or afterwards.

Jaimieh 05-26-2010 09:51 PM

Call the center for restorative breast surgery and even if you just consult with them you will know what your options are :).

schoolteacher 05-27-2010 01:06 PM

Michele,

Glad to see you post. It gives me Hope seeing someone seven years out.

I hope to hear the results of my participation in the vaccine trial soon.

I've thought about reconstruction, so it will be interesting to see what others post.

Amelia

kklouisiana 05-27-2010 05:27 PM

I am just beginning my chemo and after six months my PS is going to give me the brava bra to wear for 3 weeks then he will inject the fat from my thighs and any other areas into the loosened skin to make my breasts. after just three visits, he will be through. this is not surgery, but a outpatient procedure. It is fairly new and can be googled "brava bra" reconstruction.

Margerie 05-28-2010 06:58 AM

Michelle, I had the muscle-sparing flap procedure, it is called DIEP. I have three other friends who had the same (bilateral). So far, none of us have any lymphedema problems (it has been almost 4 years for me). One of the gals had some issues before her surgery, but they did not get any worse.

A fellow survivor/DIEP gal helped start up this great website with tons of info about all kinds of recon:

www.breastreconstruction.org

Good luck!

Ellie F 05-28-2010 12:02 PM

Hi Michelle
Was wondering how your lymphoedema is doing? I remember a while ago you were having a lot of trouble with it and considering options.
Best wishes
Ellie

micheleu 05-29-2010 06:28 PM

Ellie,
it is stable. It is very minimal when see others how bad theirs is. I just hate May because it causes it to feel so big and puffy!

sherri 06-02-2010 12:01 PM

Hi Michele,
I don't know if you remember me, we met in SanDiego once. What I receommend to contact The Breast Center in LA, they are very good and they give you the best information. Also if you want to go for this kind of reconstruction, you want to deal with the best, otherwise it could be a nightmare.
I'm glad you are doing so well, I passed my 5 years and so far so good.
Take care,
Sherri

harrie 06-06-2010 01:32 AM

Michele, I had a bilat mastectomy with DIEP done at the same time. Everything turned out really well. My plastic surgeon did did an awesome job. He is in So CA in the Torrance area if you are interested. Feel free to email me if you would like more info.

WolverineFan 06-07-2010 04:07 PM

Hi Michele,

First off, I LOVE your family picture!! Secondly, I had a single mastectomy a year ago, and have tried two implants, both silicone and saline, with no luck. My plastic surgeon told me to take the summer off, and we will discuss options after that. I think the flaps are a much better route than implants if your doctor agrees you are a good candidate for such. Mine did not, but I plan to get a second opinion before doing anything else.

Jean 06-08-2010 08:51 PM

Micheleu -
I am so happy to hear you are 7 yrs. NED...that is wonderful. Do you have any information to share on the vaccine you took. (such as trial informaiton with numbers of women who had the vaccine) any updates on it or stats released yet? Or do you know when the data will be released. I saw your recent post under the new vaccine break through and thought your post to it was so encouraging for all.

And as Wolverinefan said, your family photo is just beautiful! So is Wolverinefan and her family.

Congratualtions to both of you on remaining NED.
God Bless,
Jean

alicem 06-09-2010 09:04 PM

Michele,

I also had the DIEP procedure for my breast reconstruction. I did not want an implant and did not want to lose any muscle. The DIEP was the only answer for me. The biggest thing about this surgery is that you MUST go to a surgeon who has done more than 100 of these surgeries and has a very high success rate. It does involve microsurgery, but if you have an experienced surgeon, that is not a problem.

I live in Austin, but chose to go to Houston for my surgery. Dr. Spiegel has done at least 700 of these procedures over the last 8 years. It is all she does, and she is a perfectionist . . . and WONDERFUL!!! Here is the link to her website. There is a great photo album of before and after pictures of all different scenarios . . .

http://www.breastrestoration.org/

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Alice

Soccermom 06-10-2010 04:27 PM

Hi Michelle,
I waited 2 1/2 years to reconstruct and opted for muscle sparing stacked DIEP flap.very very happy with results and if you'd like to chat about your options PM me.
Marcia

Jackie07 07-01-2010 11:13 AM

Just saw this on the LBBC page. Thought I'd tag it on this thread.

Breast Reconstruction: Understanding Your Options

Register now for our next free teleconference, Breast Reconstruction: Understanding Your Options, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on Wednesday, July 28. Learn more.

Karen M. Horton, MD, MSc, FRCSC, a board certified plastic surgeon with Women’s Plastic Surgery, will help you learn about:
  • Different types of reconstructive surgeries
  • The latest research in rebuilding the breast
  • How to determine the option that is best for you
  • Microsurgery, nipple reconstruction and immediate versus delayed surgery
  • The stages of the reconstruction process
  • What to expect during your recovery
This teleconference will also discuss questions to help you explore whether you want to consider reconstructive surgery.

You may also be interested in Breast Reconstruction: Options, Expectations and Alternatives.

Managing Fear of Recurrence Podcast and Brochure

What If? Managing the Fears of Breast Cancer Recurrence with Sage Bolte, PhD, LCSW, OSW-C. Concerns and anxiety about breast cancer coming back is something many women cope with after completing initial treatment. Find out about common fears, and learn about effective strategies that can help you take control of your thoughts and manage your emotions. Dr. Bolte also discusses useful resources for getting support and professional help when needed.
LBBC’s Guide to Understanding Fear of Recurrence. This new, free brochure will help you understand the common fear that cancer may return. You will learn how your personality, life situation, social support and diagnosis could impact your fears and how occasions and non-occasions might trigger worries. Get tips for transitioning into life after treatment and moving forward years after your diagnosis. View practical resources to help you cope and find support.
You may also be interested in our Fear of Recurrence blog series.

Linda’s Story: Taking a Vacation from Your Cancer
“As summer begins, many of you are thinking about going on vacation. For years my husband and I worked hard and saved money. We planned that after our children left home and we retired, we could travel, which we love to do. Wouldn’t you know that just when we started phasing into retirement I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s hard to get away when surgery, radiation and chemotherapy interfere!
But travel we did.”
Read the rest of Linda’s story on our blog.
Save the Date!
Mark your calendars now for the 11th Annual Conference for Young Women Affected by Breast Cancerto be held Friday, February 25 – Sunday, February 27, 2011, at the Peabody Orlando Hotel in Orlando, Florida.
A joint effort by Living Beyond Breast Cancer and Young Survival Coalition, this event is the only international educational conference focused on the needs of young women affected by breast cancer. The weekend will feature the latest educational information and meeting opportunities for you and your caregivers.
Visit youngsurvivorsconference.org often for updates on conference speakers, workshop topics, registration and travel grants. Click here to view pictures from this year’s conference.
Help us celebrate 11 years of successful conferences for young women! Save the date now.

Warmly,
Jean
Jean A. Sachs, MSS, MLSP
LBBC Chief Executive Officer
Toll-free Survivors’ Helpline: (888) 753-LBBC (5222)
354 West Lancaster Ave, Suite 224
Haverford, PA 19041
(610) 645-4567