HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Joy update #2 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39549)

Unregistered 05-23-2009 07:25 AM

Joy update #2

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all of your kind words in means so much to Joy and our family. Here's the latest, on Tues. she had a CT whih showed that there was a pocket of fluid right above her bladder that extanded around her back, which caused all the distention and pain. Also her liver was enlarged and the tumors had grown since her Feb. CT which we already new that was going on and that's why we had switch to Ixempra. Everything else looked good. So, she had a paracenthesis done on Wed. they drained 1500cc (I think?). We don't have the cytology report back yet and Joy is very worried that the cancer has spread and may be in the fluid. She's out of the hospital and resting at her boyfriends house but is still very uncomfortable. Her second set of labs from being in the hospital actually showed an improvement in her bilirubin it dropped to .9 (I think?) The onc said the chemo could be working.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with ascities? I have done a lot of research on it and have of course found some people can recover and some people who struggle with it. The onc said the chemo could still work on the cancerous cells in the fluid too. She still feels like this is a signal of the end and is so depressed and scared, I just want to give her some hope and try to get her to think more positively. But I understand why it is so hard. Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and will of course be shared with Joy. Thanks so much for caring about my sister, it means a lot! Jennifer

freyja 05-23-2009 08:44 AM

Try to stay as active as possible, Joy. I'm a strong believer that if you keep your body moving, it can work things out. Your circulation needs to keep flowing to move the medicine through you and move the bad stuff out. It'll keep your mind from getting bogged down and depressed, too.
Sending healing thoughts your way. Celeste

Rich66 05-23-2009 08:53 AM

I'll check with some folks who might know more. I did find this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

AlaskaAngel 05-23-2009 09:48 AM

Joy and Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, it is probably the last thing Joy feels like doing but I agree with Celeste (freyja) about trying to keep moving, and I am wondering how she is doing in terms of food and fluid intake, and whether she is still having to deal with any elimination problems. I'm glad she has the comforts of being out of the hospital, with the help of those who care about her.

AlaskaAngel

michka 05-23-2009 12:42 PM

Jennifer, I feel terrible not knowing what could help but tell Joy that she is in our hearts. She must not loose hope. The switch to the Ixempra treatment is recent.
Hugs to both of you. Michka

caya 05-23-2009 12:56 PM

Jennifer,

Thanks for the update on Joy. I can't give you any medical information, but if her onc. says the chemo could still work on the fluid, and the switch to Ixempra is recent, with improved bilirubin scores - that to me would suggest hopeful signs.

Please give Joy my best, and to keep fighting. There are more plans of action out there for her if she needs it.

all the best
caya

StephN 05-23-2009 01:08 PM

Jen and Joy -
OverJOYed to hear that you are at BF's. This could be very good "medicine" in itself. It may take a bit for your body to rearrange itself after the fluid pocket pushed things around so.

The Ixempra is also a hit in itself!

Try to at least do some exercises "in place" as best you can.

And remember, our prayers are strong and got you out of the hospital!

Joan M 05-23-2009 03:30 PM

Jen,

Thanks for the update on Joy, and I'm glad she's out of the hospital.

I'm sending good vibes her way to feel better.

Joan

Believe51 05-23-2009 07:05 PM

Hello Jennifer, I am with the others in saying that it is important to keep moving and to keep flushing the system. With her bilirubin dropping, this is a hopeful sign. Please tell her that her friend, The Mighty Oak has tolerated the first Ixempra infusion well. This is a great drug, it is a matter of prayers for it to work for these two special people. Do not worry though, gotcha covered on those prayers. Steph got it right, being with her boy is probally the best medicine right now....that and some hope. Keep the faith Joy, we love you>>Believe51

Jackie07 05-23-2009 08:17 PM

Hi,

Please picture this in your mind:

Happiness (from all the good news mentioned above) increases the secretion of endorphine, which improves
the immune system, which helps you fight the cancer ...

WomanofSteel 05-24-2009 05:11 AM

Glad to hear Joy is at her boyfriend's and out of the hospital. I think positive vibes from all around her will build her up. Hang tough!

Mary Anne in TX 05-24-2009 05:12 AM

Please tell Joy to pull out her "monster guns" of determination. She's so cool and we want her to fight and get better! Much love and here's to more peaceful days! ma

Lien 05-24-2009 07:39 AM

It's good to hear she seems to be doing better. May it be a turnaround point and may she be heading for better health allover.

I'm wondering, though: Is she scared that this might be end stage, or is she convinced that it is? I remember when my Mom was dealing with cancer, she just knew the end was near and no-one believed her. They kept telling her to fight and be strong, and she felt very lonely because nobody would listen to her. Being scared is understandable in her situation, and it warrants cheering up and praying for her to get better and everything else we can come up with. But I'd hate to ignore what she is feeling deep down inside. It is hard, because none of us wants to lose her. She is our Joy and she is part of the fabric of this site and of us.

Love

Jacqueline

juanita 05-24-2009 06:28 PM

thanks for the update!

Believe51 05-25-2009 06:57 PM

Sending Joy another hug, another smile, another prayer.>>Believe51

Mary Jo 05-25-2009 07:20 PM

Just wanted to say hello to Joy and to pray you have peace today.

Love and hugs,

Mary Jo

jones7676 05-25-2009 11:06 PM

Joy I know someone else that had to have a bunch of liquid removed that had cells - and she is 7 years out......I hope the chemo works well for you and I am praying and hoping it will be your "turn around" treatment as someone else stated.

I am thinking of you!

schoolteacher 05-26-2009 05:08 AM

Joy,

I hope you are doing better. Like Mary Jo, I hope you have some peace today.

Amelia

Shobha 05-26-2009 08:34 AM

Thanks for the update. My prayers continue for Joy and may the fluid be clean with no malignant cells. God bless Joy with the healing touch.

hugs,
shobha

lexigirl 05-26-2009 08:50 AM

Hi Joy,

Thinking of you on this beautiful morning. Prayers for healing to your body. I hope that you are feeling more comfortable and ready to kick cancer butt.

Hugs to you from Calif.
Lexi