HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   crazy idea to "trick" AI joint pain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44377)

Donna 03-24-2010 11:21 AM

crazy idea to "trick" AI joint pain

Hi Amazing Group,

Okay, tell me if this is crazy or what - when I started with Arimidex it took a few months to have the joint pain in my hands advance to intolerable - then I switched to Femara and again it took a few months to have lower body join pain advance to the point where sometimes I can barely walk - so now I want to try Aromasin and see what happens.

So here is my crazy question: would it be ridiculous or medically unsound to just keep switching every two to three months to stay ahead of the joint pain each one causes since they seem to hit different areas?

I see my oncologist this Friday - but I have always found the best information here so then I can take it to her and discuss it.

Let me know what you think - and Thanks!!!!!

Love to you all, Donna

Patb 03-24-2010 04:09 PM

Re: crazy idea to "trick" AI joint pain

Now this is an idea, ask you Dr. I have stayed with
arimidex but its not easy. What type doggie is that,
Looks like my baby schnauzer but everyone says she
looks like a black lab.
patb

Laurel 03-24-2010 06:47 PM

Interesting idea! You know there is no data out there to support your choice, so you will be flying blind. Of course, if this allows you to stay on the therapy as opposed to quitting as so many E.R.+ patients do, I would think it would be considered worthy of a try. Please post back what you Onc. has to say!

Hopeful 03-24-2010 07:00 PM

Donna,

I switched back and forth between Arimidex and Femara several times. I started on Femara and developed tinnitus after 6 weeks. I switched to Arimidex, which lessened it slightly. I stayed on Arimidex for 11 months, until I hit the wall with joint pain. I went back on Femara at that point, and at 11 months, hit the wall there with joint pain, and went back to Arimidex. I switched once more and then stopped AI tx at 3 years. My onc had no problem with me going back and forth on them.

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful

BonnieR 03-24-2010 08:02 PM

Interesting strategy! I have taken a 2 week hiatus from Femara because of "trigger thumb." To see if there is improvement. Then probably switch to another AI

Cannon 04-04-2010 09:26 PM

I have found glucosamine/chondroitin supplements to help significantly with joint pain -- recently, I was having terrible pain and I realized - whoops, had stopped taking my supplements. I'm back on for a week and it's getting better rapidly. Your mileage may vary.

sassy 04-05-2010 09:25 AM

I was experiencing significant joint stiffness and pain after being on Arimidex for a while. My GP was exploring ways to help with this side effect and put me on Lasix. It reduced my pain and stiffness by at least 50%!

I have mentioned this in the past, but not sure if anyone has given it a try. Might be worth a shot.

Donna 04-05-2010 01:31 PM

Hi Ronda,

Actually joint pain is listed as a significant side effect of Lasix - it is a diuretic - the only thing I have ever personally heard it being used for is congestive heart failure - it helps dissipate excess fluids. The way I understand it, and I have to say I really don't understand it - the joint pain we experience due to the AI's is in some way they affect the synovial fluid in the joints - so, if there were a build up of fluid, maybe this is how Lasix would work? I thought maybe it was a lack of fluid that prevented smooth joint action, but maybe it is the opposite?

Wonder who we could ask about this?

Best to you, Donna

Hopeful 04-05-2010 01:55 PM

Donna, here is a good paper on the subject: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2140182/

Hopeful

Donna 04-05-2010 03:51 PM

Dear Hopeful,

That was very interesting information - thank you! :-)

Donna