HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The beginnings of HER2Support (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62319)

Posts 12-08-2014 08:49 PM

The beginnings of HER2Support

http://copingmag.com/cwc/index.php/article/her2support/

Mtngrl 12-11-2014 01:23 PM

Re: The beginnings of HER2Support

Good to know! Thank you.

sarah 07-24-2015 10:35 PM

We have a lot to be thankful for Joe and Christine's vision and dedication. We will never forget them and how much what they created has helped us all. They are angels in the many meanings of the word. Their work continues and I hope always will since it is so important. Their family can be very proud of them, they have created a unique and vital support group, full of great information, friendship and support.
hugs
sarah

Jackie07 02-02-2016 01:05 PM

The link has changed. Found it after doing a search on the site. http://copingmag.com/cwc/index.php/s...es/her2support

sarah 09-25-2017 04:58 AM

I posted before how grateful I am to Joe and Christine and their family for the existence of this site.
I would like to say to those who are new, there was so little information about HER2 and most of it was frightening and negative and here was a place with positive and supportive information and support. They were there when there was nowhere to turn for help. I cannot emphasize the importance of what they created. Never take it for granted, it is special.
I hope everyone who joins will read about its history and what it took and still takes to keep it alive.
Thank you to everyone who keeps this wonderful site on line for those of us who would be lost without you.
love Sarah

Donna H 09-26-2017 06:55 AM

I am forever grateful to the founders of this site, all the people who post and the silent prayers and well wishes from those who don't, and especially grateful to those who went thru early treatment and those who continue to participate in clinical trials.

Thank you to you all.

Cathya 03-19-2018 12:23 PM

I would like to reiterate what Sarah said. Just recently an oncologist was shocked to find out that I had herceptin in 2005. It was just brought into Canada that year and I remember women driving to the US and paying $50,000 a year to get treatments. I had asked to be tested as it wasn't a standard test at that time. Today many more women are being identified and treated and are finding this wonderful resource. When this site started and we would go on the internet to gather information I remember the odds for me as a stage 3C her2+ breast cancer patient were around 10% that I would live 5 years. This site offered us information, hope and the awareness that these numbers were no longer correct. So many wonderful, intelligent, resourceful and brave women have and continue to support and educate those of us lucky enough to find this site. We truly are blessed that Christine and Joe recognized the need and had the drive to provide us all with this site. As the story of cancer has evolved and new treatments are discovered this site is also expanding and continues on as a legacy to Christine, Joe and their family.

Thank you

Cathy

Monica 09-05-2018 04:44 PM

Hi,
I personally spoke to Joe and Christine for a paper I was writing around 2008. I flew out to California and their family were amazing hosts. As background, some time in the 1990’s when HER2 was in its infancy, Christine’s breast cancer had spread to her lungs and brain. After the treatment failed, Christine had done her research and found out about herceptin. She insisted that her doctors test her for Her2. It turned out positive, she got herceptin, and her cancer went into remission. She told me how the website started:

“I sat down at the end of my bed and said to myself, ‘I’m completely well. This was so terrible and I had nobody to talk about it. I’m a health educator. I want other people to enjoy my wellness. How am I going to do that on a large scale?’ During my (breast cancer) search, I had looked for information like crazy but only got dribs and drabs and found most of it not helpful. I asked Joe to construct a worldwide web site for me so I could put down everything I’ve done for myself. I need to tell them, ‘You won’t die.’ Everything I’ve done I’ll put on my web site. Maybe they too can survive . . . Women have so many fears—fear of MRI, fear of chemo . . . So they can survive better and get through it all . . . I wanted a worldwide outreach— not just U.S., but the whole world. I wanted all the resources in one place and more. I did not want to harbor them all to myself. I get survival.”

Her vision for this website still shines through today.
Monica

Monica 09-05-2018 04:54 PM

As a follow on to my previous post, here Christine and Joe speak to their values and the mission of the Board.

Christine: "This is a no-nonsense board. It’s not to have a pity party. We’re not here to have a Snoopy dance. I think that’s appalling (on a board). Through our philosophy, we believe in:
 Education - Looking at resources
 Working together as a team − They will find their answer through our web site by a team effort.

Give them a lot of resources. Education is our primary objective. The best way to get through a disease is education, and we do that through our web site.

No one ever does not get a reply. We’re hanging in there to get help, but who should answer, but those that have been there . . .

There is no opportunity to say la, la, la. I say God helps those that help themselves. If there is a will, there’s a way. Kick the demon in the butt!!!"

Joe voiced a similar philosophy:
“The main mission of the web site is to educate women. Don’t rely on doctors. Doctors make bad decisions like people do. The only way to beat this is to become as smart as doctors and work with them . . . “

They were a very unique couple and were truly driven by the mission of empowering women (and men) to help each other with HER2 breast cancer. Doctors are a partner, not an expert.

Although Joe had other income, they spent immense amount of time keeping the board relevant and honing the culture. They were amazing people, did an amazing service to the HER2 Community, and I am personally appreciative of helping me in my time of need.

robertcladner86 09-07-2020 07:52 AM

Can her2 positive cancer be cured :( ?

StephN 09-23-2020 11:02 PM

Robert, some stage 4 patients are seeing very long remissions, even going off treatment. There are a few that I personally know, like myself. I do feel cured, being stage 4 since 2002. There is hope. Someone has to be that person able to join the club!