HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Power Port...No blood return (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59354)

SusanN 10-21-2013 04:58 PM

Power Port...No blood return

Hello All...

This is the 2nd time receiving my Herceptin infusions that the nurses (2 different ones) have had difficulty getting blood return.

After having me lie back, cough, put my arm back...finally got it! They kept reassuring me it happens all the time...hmmm...and if it didn't they would just put some medicine in it!

After this last time...it took awhile...she did tell me it can get clogged & if needed will put a medicine in it....I had "googled" as to what that is..."Tpa"...also, this problem is a "fibrin sheath or lipid build up" from what I'm reading. I sure pray it's nothing more that!!

I always "thought! they were flushing me everytime...now I'm wondering...the last nurse was VERY thorough.

I'm not finished with my Herceptin until April...praying I'll finish with this port and not have to have a new one put in!

Has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks!!

LeahM 10-21-2013 05:03 PM

Re: Power Port...No blood return

No experience with that. But I did get my port out Nov 2012 and got Herceptin via my arm until June 2013. Maybe you could get your port out?

Lauriesh 10-21-2013 05:36 PM

It's really no big deal to get the medicine to get the blood flow going. I have had it twice. They just put it in, wait 30 minutes, then try again. Both times it worked.
I always make sure I drink a ton of water the day before. It does seem to help .

Laurie

sassy 10-21-2013 06:07 PM

My port was placed rather deep and many nurses had trouble accessing it. At Wake Forrest the nurses would walk in, see me and walk back out to get the head nurse! Often they could not get a return and moved me around, raise the arm, things you mentioned. Lying me back with my head lower than my shoulders helped sometimes, but I did find that being really well hydrated helped a lot. I actually kept my port for four years and it was still working fine when I had it removed after graduating to 6 month checkups.

Hopefully your port will hold out until you are finished! Best of luck.

'lizbeth 10-21-2013 08:34 PM

I had port issues at the end. I took it out when my clinical trial nurse had difficulty accessing it.

The young medics had no problem accessing it - but they worked in AIC and did this all day long. The senior staff had more issues.

They should be able to flush it with saline and Heparin. Did you have lidocaine to numb the area? You might want to numb it if they have access challenges.

vballmom 10-22-2013 05:23 AM

I had port issues throughout. Seems the better hydrated I was, the better I did.

Cath 10-22-2013 05:59 AM

At about the beginning of my treatment, the nurses had trouble getting a blood draw from my port and then I started setting their machines off when the rate was set too high. They sent me to radiology to have dye injected and found I had a kink in my port. So I did have to have the kink removed by surgery but since then it has worked ever since. I have had my port since August 2011 and my doctor shows no sign of wanting me to get it out. I also was told about the medicine they could put in it to break up anything in the way but that was not my problem.

MaineRottweilers 10-22-2013 08:47 AM

The last two times (my final chemo and my first solo Herceptin) my port has been tricky. I had to lift and extend my arm for it to work. I too was thinking it will be a long haul if I can't use my port to finish Herceptin infusions. I'm glad to see that it's not the beginning of the end for my port. Thanks for posing the question. I am reassured.

Cat 10-22-2013 12:51 PM

I had a period of about 3 visits out of 6 where they had trouble. Hydration does seem to help. That was 6 mos ago. I have had no further issues, knock on wood. I've had my port since 2008. Once a nurse used a longer needle even tho my port is very much on the surface. They talked the medicine route but we never needed it. Works like a charm since. Knocking wood again!!! Maybe ports need to rebel once in awhile!!!

jaykay 10-22-2013 01:24 PM

My port acted up during my 4th and 5th chemo, then totally went back to normal.

Try not to worry

SusanN 10-22-2013 09:02 PM

Thank you ALL so very much for your feedback!! I appreciate it so very much!! I'll be sure to push the fluids the day before...prayfully, third time a charm from here on out!! :)

Ellie F 10-23-2013 04:21 AM

Sorry to be chipping in a bit late but wanted to say this has happened to me also on 3 occasions. As well as the other tips it's worth trying to get them to adjust the position of the needle by rotating it or moving slightly from side to side or pulling back slightly. It's very easy to occlude the opening of the needle within the soft centre of the port Im told
Ellie

CoolBreeze 10-26-2013 04:30 PM

It's a very common problem, it has nothing to do with them not flushing you right. I too have a fibrin sheath. At first, it was intermittant, and the positional and then just stopped entirely. They could push fluids in but not get blood out.

I went and had TPA to try and fix it and blood flowed like crazy next time, but it's already slowing down again. The doctor said TPA doesn't last too long and the fix is usually to remove the port. Since I'm Stage IV and my port is in my arm, I really don't want that done as they'll never put it in my arm again. :(

But it's nothing dangerous, if that was your worry. Let's hope yours keeps running!

Adriana Mangus 10-26-2013 05:22 PM

Hi Susan,

Sorry you are having this issue with the port. It never did the trick for me either.

I've been on chemo --off and on for the last 10 years, nurses can only use left arm, somehow am still here, so maybe you just need to discontinue using the port. I do have an excellent nurse though who finds veins in the most ridiculous places alongside my left arm, she's an Angel--my Angel!

Take care,

Adriana

msmanuf 10-27-2013 08:21 AM

My port would get clogged quite a bit. I had to move my arms (the Chicken Dance) worked the best. lol It was not unusual for me to put my arms in multiple positions to get the port to work. Good Luck.

KsGal 10-27-2013 07:41 PM

Yes, I think it's a totally common thing. Mine on most days won't get a return unless I turn my head as far as I can to the left. Must have a little kink or something..who knows? I don't think it is anything to worry about at all. Big hugs to you and God bless.

SusanN 10-28-2013 08:51 AM

A HUGE thanks to ALL for everything...great sharing...I love the "Chicken Dance" msmanuf!! :)

No worries...all will be fine...HUGE HUGS to each of YOU!! :)

jaykay 10-30-2013 08:11 AM

So, wouldn't it figure? My last Herceptin (yahoo!) was this morning and while they were able to initially get blood, when it came time for Vit H, no blood. Tried everything except the chicken dance. I finally told them to just use the arm.

Like many others, mixed feelings about the end of Herceptin. Definitely happy that this part of the journey is over, but scared not to have the Herceptin safety net

Best
Janis

SusanN 10-30-2013 12:54 PM

YAAYYY Janis!!! Great to hear!! Happy to hear you're finished!! Glad they could get a vein in your arm and get it done!!
I'm around the corner...started "April Fool's Day!!" About 6 - 7 more cycles...
HUGS to you!! :)

jaykay 10-30-2013 05:46 PM

Hugs back to you, Susan! The last 6 go by really quickly, especially if you have 2 in the same month :-)