HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Drains out...now tightness in chest (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60234)

Bellaokc 02-08-2014 09:11 PM

Drains out...now tightness in chest

I had the drains on my left side taken out last Thursday, 2 days ago. The experience was pain-free, thank God, but later in the day my chest muscles started to contract and I started to hurt. The later the day got, the more I started to hurt. In the end I had to take my pain medicine, which I was hoping to be done with by now.
Now, I am thinking that perhaps I need muscle relaxants? I still have some pain meds left, but would really like to be done with those. I have been on Percocet since my mastectomy 2 weeks ago.
I have heard of people getting muscle spasms because of the expanders. Maybe this is what is going on? But it doesn't really feel like a spasm. It is tightness and it won't relax. I will go back on Monday to get the right side taken out and will talk to the doctor about it then.

Thanks,

BonnieR 02-09-2014 01:27 PM

Re: Drains out...now tightness in chest

Perhaps the drain came out too soon and fluid is building up?? Is there swelling or redness? Is it warm to touch? Best to see doc ASAP
Keep the faith

jaykay 02-09-2014 03:54 PM

Hi Norma ,
Definitely talk to your doctor, but the expanders do cause a tight feeling in the chest. Remember, they are under the muscle, which is being stretched.

I would try Aleve or ibuprofen for the pain vs painkillers. Just my opinion, but it can't hurt.

Best

Janis

snolan 02-10-2014 08:49 AM

It could be the fluid build up, may take several days to resolve, just talk with your surgeon. I had to have mine drained with a needle for 3 months before having to remove the expander due to a suroma under the expander.

Cat 02-10-2014 08:54 AM

I didn't have the same reconstruction but had 4 drains. I did feel a fullness it seemed until my body was able to adjust. I took ibuprofen and watched salt intake. Good proteins and lots of water. I would Talk to your dr. though. Hopefully you're doing better already.
Cathy

IrvineFriend 02-10-2014 12:57 PM

I've had my expanders in for 14 months and still feel tightness. I don't think it's something you really get used to. But have your doctor check for any fluid, I had to be drained a couple times a week when I accidentally pulled a drain out!

Bellaokc 02-10-2014 02:05 PM

Well, I just got back from the doctor and he couldn't find anything wrong. He said I can try taking a muscle relaxant at night since that is when I hurt the most. I will try that tonight and see if it helps. I guess I should be glad nothing is wrong, but pain is the body's way of getting your attention, so naturally I would be worried. It's not so bad now, I am going to try massage and heat too.

Appreciate the advice ladies :-)

BonnieR 02-10-2014 03:35 PM

Did the doctor recommend heat and massage ? Don't want you to aggravate the situation!
Keep the faith

Bellaokc 02-10-2014 04:00 PM

Bonnie, I told him I was putting heat on the muscle and he just said not to burn myself since I don't have any feeling where the expanders are located. I didn't ask about massage. I should have done that.

Carol Ann 02-10-2014 08:28 PM

Hi Norma,

I've had a lot of pulling/tightening sensations as I've been healing, Neutrogena Crème (NOT the lotion) in the flat blue cylinder jar really helps.

It was first recommended by my plastic surgeon when I was 5 years old for a skin graft I had. (long story). So this cream has been around 50+ years!

I use it every time I get out of the shower.

CA

jaykay 02-11-2014 07:22 AM

Norma - be careful with the massage. You are still healing (stitches) and remember you have saline expanders in there.

IrvineFriend 02-11-2014 05:47 PM

Hi Norma,

I found that doing the stretching exercises that the surgeon recommended really helped my healing. I personally would not massage the area, the tightness really is normal and the stretching exercises will help you get your mobility/range of motion back. It's major surgery and you need to give yourself time to heal. The expanders are not comfortable.

-Julie

Bellaokc 02-27-2014 07:04 PM

It's been a few weeks and the left side started feeling better. I have been doing my stretching exercises the nurse gave me and that seems to have helped. Then the right side started swelling last week and I went to the ER to have it looked at. After checking for infection, etc, they said it is probably a seroma and that I needed to see the plastic surgeon the next day. They bound me up with a compression garment, put ice on it and sent me home.
Neither the surgeon nor the PS wanted to mess with the seroma because it appears to be under the expander and they don't want to do any more poking or cutting than they need to.
Surprisingly enough the compression belt (looks like a pink corset) has helped tremendously and the swelling is very slowly going away.
It has been almost 5 weeks since my mx and only yesterday did I feel pain-free all day. I know it's the expanders causing all of this, but I am going to have boobs one way or another!

Carol Ann 02-27-2014 07:37 PM

Hi Norma, so glad to hear you are feeling better! :)

Carol Ann