HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Knee replacement and stage 4 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58183)

Ceesun 05-22-2013 07:36 AM

Knee replacement and stage 4

Good Morning, Wondering if any stage 4 gals have had total knee replacement surgery? I am a candidate for it but am worried about being off of chemo for a month to do so. Thanks, Ceesun

Jackie07 05-22-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Knee replacement and stage 4

Cathy,

Below is the abstract of an article on the outcome and risk factors - notice the data collected is about five years old.

J Arthroplasty. 2013 Mar;28(3):385-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.06.027. Epub 2012 Nov 8.

In-hospital surgical site infections after primary hip and knee arthroplasty--incidence and risk factors.

Poultsides LA, Ma Y, Della Valle AG, Chiu YL, Sculco TP, Memtsoudis SG.
Source
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Division of Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement, Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA.
Abstract

Data of hospitalizations for THA or TKA were analyzed for each year between 1998 and 2007 from the National Inpatient Sample. Demographics, comorbidities, incidence of morbidity and mortality, length of hospital stay (LOS), and overall cost were compared for infected and non-infected patients. Perioperative SSI rates were 0.36% for THA and 0.31% for TKA (412,356 and 784,335 patient entries, respectively). Patients with SSI had a significantly higher overall comorbidity burden, higher perioperative mortality rates, longer length of stay, and higher complication rates. Average cost of in-hospital care was double for SSI versus non-SSI patients. Independent risk factors for perioperative SSI included male gender, minority race, a diagnosis for cancer, liver disease, coagulopathies, fluid and electrolyte disorders, congestive heart failure, and pulmonary circulatory disease. Data relied on coded information and could not differentiate between superficial or deep infection, or capture patients readmitted for SSI, and therefore may have underestimated the true incidence of SSI.

Gerri 05-22-2013 09:29 PM

Hi Ceesun,

I am not stage 4 but thought I would share my knee replacement experience with you. I had both knees replaced in 2011 (six months apart) and am thrilled with the results! Other than a little stiffness, my knees are 100% better than they were prior to my surgeries. I have to admit, the recovery was a bit challenging, but after the first 3 weeks things improved. Physical Therapy is crucial to recovering your range of motion. It is painful, but the results are worth it.

I was in a lot of pain prior to my surgeries and could not walk without limping. Two weekends ago, I participated in the Revlon Walk/Run (a 5K) and completed it without any problems. Having my knees replaced was one of the best things I have ever done. I originally planned having both knees done at the same time but ultimately decided to do one at a time - I am so glad I did! Below is the link to a thread I started prior to my surgery. Lani provided several articles that may be of interest to you.

Good luck with your decision. If you have any questions regarding the actual surgery and recovery I will be happy to share more of my experience with you.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48643

PinkGirl 05-23-2013 06:56 AM

Hi Ceese
You might want to check some old posts from Pam. She had
a few orthopedic surgeries done while on chemo. I'm happy you're
getting this done ... it's always nice to get a new body part :)

Ceesun 05-23-2013 08:32 AM

Thanks Jackie and Gerri for the good info, I have been reading it and its helpful. Pink, I will check Pam's posts...good to hear from you, Pink,....been meaning to ask where art thou? Ceese

NEDenise 05-25-2013 07:26 AM

Cathy,
I don't posess any great wisdom on this topic...
But I hope you can get the knee done...chronic pain sucks! and you certainl don't need, or deserve that!

What does your onc say?
Denise