HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   abraxane failed, what next (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25408)

Patty H 09-16-2006 07:44 AM

abraxane failed, what next

I have lung and bone mets. My scans just showed that abraxane isn't working. I see my Dr. Friday. I'm trying to do some research and see what I can come up with. So far, I have tried
adrymiacin+taxotere
navelbine+ herceptin
carboplattin+taxotere+ her
xeloda+herceptin
genzar+ her
abraxane+ her
and radiation to spine, lung and breast and under arm
Anyone have any sujestions on any other chemos? I can't get tykerb here yet.
Patty H

Becky 09-16-2006 07:59 AM

Patty

Did you have any regression or stability on any of the drugs you tried? You can retry a drug or combine 2 that worked "okay" (if six months has passed since you tried a particular drug). Secondarily, has your onco applied for compassiate use of Tykerb (see Joe's posts). FORCE his hand to do so and get the ball rolling.

In the meantime, go back to a combo of 2 of the drugs that kinda worked for you (you can post here which ones did and some of us can let you know if they can be used together). Of course combine with Herceptin - it may seem like it is failing you but it might boost up whatever chemo you end up on. Also - try to insist on trying Avastin to the mix. This might just do the trick for you while waiting for Tykerb. Are you hormone positive? If so, it might be the time to try something different - like Faslodex instead of Tamoxifen or an AI.

There's a mix out there for you to keep you stable for the time being. Try to relax and take a deep breath. We are here for you and will help you dig out of this hole (which isn't as deep as you think).

Big hug to you

Becky

Patty H 09-16-2006 04:13 PM

I have tried xeloda twice I never had progression on it, but both times it put me in the hospital. I tried navelbine 3 times but had progression on it. The only ones I can think of that worked for me was carboplatin+taxotere, but I started having a re-action to the carbo. I was wondering about the avastin. I know a year or two ago, none of the insurances would cover it. Maybe it's been around long enough now that I could get it. I have medicare and Blue cross. We already tried to get the tykerb and it wasn't available here yet. But I think there is a clinical trial here with it. You have given me some things to think about. Patty H

Sheila 09-17-2006 05:22 AM

Patty

I am wondering if the Xeloda worked, but you ended up in the hospital, maybe a lower dose would work for you...I have read alot that what they were prescribing as the Xeloda dose was found to be higher than needed, and they got the same results with Xeloda at a lower dose. I am on 2500 mg a day divided as 1500 mg in am and 100 mg pm, and am doing fine...what dose were you on? I think the old recommended dose was 4500 - 5000 mg.....with more side effects and no more benefits. What dose were you on and what symptoms did you develop? Hope this helps.