HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best day of week for chemo? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56358)

jaykay 10-22-2012 05:56 AM

Best day of week for chemo?

Yes, I am a tad OCD!

I plan to work during chemo and would like some input as to the best day of the week to have treatments. I do have flexibility at work (work from home). Will be doing Taxol and Herceptin. I do know that everyone is different.

I would also like to have some kind of life on the weekends :-)

Thanks in advance

jra40 10-22-2012 07:44 AM

Re: Best day of week for chemo?

I did my treatments of Taxol & Herceptin weekly on Tuesdays. I luckily didn't have too many side effects so I was able to work. I did take Fridays off while in treatment, and if I had or have to do it again, I would do my treatments on Thursdays. I think it's a better timeframe to recover so you do have some quality time over the weekend.

Good luck and God bless,

Jessica

'lizbeth 10-22-2012 09:15 AM

I did my treatments on Fridays - bad decision! I had issues on a weekend and my regular folks weren't available.

If I had to do it again, I would choose Thursdays too. I worked during treatment. It was tough, but I hung in there. The day after treatment wasn't so bad, but the 2nd and 3rd day were tougher.

greenacres 10-22-2012 10:20 AM

Mine were on Thursday for me it was perfect. Treatment and if fluids needed on Friday and took off work Friday and back to work on Monday. That only worked for the first three Chemo's, the last three I was required to work 1/2 days the week after treatment - it was jsut too much. But I liked Thursdays personally. GOOD LUCK to you and no you are not OCD< I would have asked the same question :)

JillaryJill 10-22-2012 10:42 AM

I had TCH on Thursdays. My chemo center was wireless, so I worked while getting my infusion...although took a benadryl nap for about an hour after that infusion...Friday I was energetic still "jacked up" on steroids, then Saturday and Sunday I was on the couch watching TV, staying away from germs and eating broth soups etc. Thursday was just perfect! Good luck...it is really not that bad.

caya 10-22-2012 11:08 AM

I also had my chemo and then Herceptin infusions on Thursdays. I found it was good to have the weekends to "recuperate."

all the best
caya

jaykay 10-22-2012 12:09 PM

Thanks, everyone. Looks like Thursday is the optimum day

Barbara H. 10-22-2012 03:15 PM

I had my treatment on Fridays. I went in after lunch and only missed part of the day. I felt fine on Saturday, but crashed on Sunday afternoon. I took Mondays off. I teach and I only missed about 6 days that year because I started treatment in July. It was doable. I am glad that I worked because it took my mind off of it, and I did not have time to think too may negative thoughts.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

Becky 10-22-2012 04:04 PM

I had mine on Monday which made for a nice weekend but not so great for working Thursday and Friday. If I had to do it again, I would pick Thursday as Friday isn't the greatest day but by Monday - you're good to go.

And this is just the chemo week.

adelay 10-22-2012 04:40 PM

I did mine on Thursdays, it was the best. Friday I was still good, Sat. and Sun. tired and not so hot, better by Monday. I worked throughout my whole treatment plan so this was best for me. Good Luck!

jellybean 10-22-2012 07:11 PM

Thursday worked well for me, too. Friday I felt fine, but took off from work anyhow. Eventually, I was somewhat tired on Saturday and Sunday, and ready for work on Monday. Between chemo and seeing my oncologist, it was not possible to work on Thursday.

dawny 10-23-2012 01:43 AM

Yep, it's Thursday's all the way!
Dawn

Jean 10-23-2012 07:23 PM

Well Planned thought...Thurs.
It permits you to work 1/2 day on Thurs. morning...have treatement in the afternoon. Friday you are feeling fine
and can work and have a normal Friday.

Sat/Sun you are resting up and even permits support from others as most people are off on Sat/Sun.
By Monday you are feeling better ...

Best Wishes,
jean

karen z 10-23-2012 09:24 PM

I often had treatment on Thursdays for reasons Jean mentioned immediately above.
Best,
K

Jackie07 10-24-2012 05:03 AM

I also worked full-time during chemo treatment in 2007. Thursday afternoon worked like a charm.

But if you are working at home with a flexible scheducle and want to preserve your weekend, then I'd suggest you get your infusion on Monday or Tuesday. Based on my experience, you will be feeling good enough to enjoy your weekend 4 days after chemo.

snolan 10-24-2012 11:59 AM

I did Fridays, was still able to enjoy Sat, but on the couch on Sunday, still a little groggy on Monday.

Deb33 10-24-2012 12:59 PM

Day 3 and 4 were the hardest for me. I started with Thursdays but hated spending the weekends in bed. So I switched to Mondays - worked from home on Tuesday and Wed and laid low Thursday. By the weekend I was back to semi normal energy and could feel like I could experience life. It was always a waiting game for me so keeping busy on my "down days" seemed to make them go faster. I hated going to bed because it made me feel sick (I know, I was always in denial). You will figure out the best schedule that works for you.