HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Supplements To Protect The Heart From Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58539)

bmorr7 07-10-2013 07:25 PM

Supplements To Protect The Heart From Herceptin

I've heard that coenzyme q10 (coq10) may be help protect the heart from possible toxic effects of Herceptin. Has anyone else heard this? Are there any other supplements that might help prevent toxic effects of chemotherapy or Herceptin?

Bunty 07-11-2013 01:21 AM

Re: Supplements To Protect The Heart From Herceptin

Hi bmorr7, there is a great deal of information shared on this forum about not only coenzyme q10, but other supplements to assist with heart function. So perhaps do a search, but I started taking it when I had a couple a decreasing function result after a couple of scans, and it bounced up again for the next scan, and has stayed in a good range ever since - and I started taking it at least 4 years ago. It seems to help many.
Cheers Marie

snolan 07-11-2013 09:28 AM

I took it before I was even diagnoised and continued through chemo and didn't have any changes to my heart function. But I also exercised a lot.

JillaryJill 07-11-2013 01:52 PM

I have been taking CoQ10 for about a year now. Just had a Echocardiogram after my 4th vaccine at Mayo. Heart function was fine. I had a baseline Muga prior to starting Herceptin, but nothing since this Echo...I was happy to hear my heart is fine so no apparent effects of Herceptin...or maybe the CoQ10 helped me along the way.

ElaineM 07-11-2013 03:33 PM

Co Enzyme Q 10 is a good choice. I have taken it everyday since 2000.

'lizbeth 07-11-2013 03:48 PM

I took CoQ10 through chemo and still do.

Exercise also helps with heart function. I was lucky enough to work with a physical therapist who specializes in cancer patients and found I was not getting my heart rate high enough to be effective.

Crazy as it sounds too much resting actually can lead to a patient's health deteriorating. Everything in moderation.

I also found when my heart rate becomes elevated I can take supplements that increase acetylcholine and it will decrease to a healthier level.

Check with your oncologist about supplements. Some do not want patients on antioxidants during chemo.

Andrea Barnett Budin 07-12-2013 06:52 PM

L-ARGENINE -- 500 x 2 (AM) on an empty stomach -- Dr. Best brand w/time release -- EJECTION FRACTION ELEVATOR, STRENGTHENS THE HEART

Also, as I've mentioned Co-Enzyme Q10 -- 150 (AM/PM) to strengthen heart + good for gums and energy +++ more

please check out my WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS thread. Info I've collected over the past 15 yrs from my integrative oncologist who specializes in supplements and provided me with my original list.

I got it updated annually but haven't been to NY in a few yrs.

Sticking w/the program through chemo (against other onc's advice -- but felt strongly from all I read that that is precisely when you MOST need supplements).

Been on this program since fall of '98 and never miss a dosage. Believe it is helping to keep me HEALTHY & WELL... It's my maintenance program!