HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What a difference a new onc makes! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39741)

Brenda_D 06-03-2009 02:52 PM

What a difference a new onc makes!

I saw a new onc today because my other one retired.
This is a lady that was very up on BC and took the time to go through everything with me. She asked about me not having Taxol. I told her I wondered about that myself, but we both agree there's no need for it at this point.
She asked about my menopause status, lymphedema, if I had any problems with Herceptin ( I told her about the hip pain, and she said that was quite possibly the Herceptin), what problems I had with chemo, and radiation.
She asked about the targeted rads to the positive IM node. She said she always watches for a positive IM node's tendency to move the BC up the chain. She asked about back pain, rib pain (which I've been having), etc.
She asked if I was having scans every 6 months, and mammos. (I had to ask my last onc for any scans).
She scheduled a pet/ct without my even asking.
She did a breast exam, and looked at my spine, and did a liver palpitation, and listened to my lungs.
She agreed with me that my CA 27-29 draws never showed any elevations, so they probably don't work for me and I don't need them at each visit.
I have to tell you all I am thrilled with this Onc. :)

Believe51 06-03-2009 03:00 PM

It is sometimes sad when we lose our doctor, sometimes a relief (personally had my share). I am so glad that the appointment went well and that you may have been supplied with more of the hope you shall revel in. Your voice alone has made me smile with the comfort you have experienced. Here's to YOU and to your continued HOPE. Love and hugs.>>Believe51

juanita 06-11-2009 11:30 AM

a change in oncs can be the greatest thing in the world. i know i did it and have never looked back.

chrisy 06-11-2009 03:53 PM

that's great news - and SO true! Sounds like you've got someone who you feel is a real partner in this. Well done (you can go ahead and take all the credit with my permission!)

tricia keegan 06-11-2009 04:07 PM

I'm really pleased for you Brenda and it makes a huge difference I feel to have a good relationship with our Dr's and trust them.

I had a very similar experience, like you, my onc retired and the one I have now is a young forward thinking woman who really cares despite me being so long out of treatment.:)

shondagaylord 06-11-2009 06:47 PM

I think this is a wondeful thread. How scary was it at first. I guess you had no choice since he had retired. I would love a 2nd opinion, but I am totally horrified of doing so. I absolutely love the doc and her nurse. I got so deathly ill at one point from Gemzar. I was hospitalized for 3 mo and I was in 3 different hospitals. It wasn't until I got with her that I started to get better, and she pulled in all her team of doctors. However because of all of the other health issues I have had since the cancer I am a REAL tricky case. I have a kidney doc, a cardio doc, a PCP, and my onc. They all work very closely together. They all have to agree on treatments and so on. I really wouldlike to hear what someone else has to say though. I hear there are SO MANY options, but you know what, I have had Taxol/Carbo, Tykerb/Xeloda (6 days only), Gemzar (VERY SICK) Navelbine (Progressing in a couple of areas) and Herceptain the whole time and Zometa evry 3 month now because of kidneys. They started talking Avastin/Taxol but Cardio doc said no for now w/ BP issues so we have decided to go back to Taxol/Herceptain since I originally didn't "fail on Taxol". Does anyone have any other ideas of a combo I might suggest?
I read on here also about hair loss after being on Gemzar and Navelbine that we kind of run out of options if we want to keep our hair. Is this true?

Love to all,
Shonda

Sheila 06-13-2009 08:41 AM

Brenda
So glad you found a good onc. you are comfortabel with...that makes all the difference in the world....where are you in Illinois???/

Shonda
Like you I had prolems with my blood pressure on Avastin (with Taxol Herceptin)...so I did the Taxol Herceptin and had good results for almost 1 1/2 years...then toxic and progression...now on navelbine with Herceptin...seems easy compared to Taxol, and so far some shrinkage in the nodes....it seems that different chemos opnly work for so long on me, then its time to change....keep the cancer guessing! By the way, i have twins too, and they are girls, soon to be 34 yrs old!

shondagaylord 06-13-2009 10:25 AM

What do you mean by becoming toxic on Taxol?

Navelbine has been VERY easy, but honestly Taxol was as well for me when I orginally took it in the beginning. Gemzar was the Beast for me. Oh it was horrible, and the tyker/xeloda for the 6 days I was on it. I dreaded swallowing the pills because of the pain it caused in my back??? The pain was so awful with those drugs!! I would have to eat and eat popsicles while on Gemzar on the day of infusion. NEVER again!

I love those twins. They are so amazing!!!
Shonda

Brenda_D 06-13-2009 11:05 AM

Sheila, I'm close to St. Louis, Mo. We are in south central IL.