HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Heart problem/ herceptin question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32121)

Brenda_D 01-10-2008 02:23 PM

Heart problem/ herceptin question

Those of you that have had to stop herceptin due to low ejection fraction or heart symptoms, what symptoms did you have, if any?

I'm halfway through my year of H, and over the last week I'm having some chest pain and seems to be harder to breathe, hurts to breathe deep.

I don't see the Onc until the 23rd, and will ask for a muga then, but maybe I should ask my PCP instead, when I see her tomorrow.

Sheila 01-10-2008 04:45 PM

Brenda
Get an echo done, much quicker, non invasive and will give accurate results on the LVEF (request that reading)....I would get one now rather than wait 2 weeks! Hope it is nothing.

pffida 01-10-2008 07:17 PM

Heart problems with herceptin

My symptoms were an unproductive cough and fast pulse. An echocardiogram revealed ejection fraction of around 45%. Oncologist stopped Herceptin for a month to give the heart a chance to heal. We resumed Herceptin only on a WEEKLY basis instead of every three weeks. I'm having no heart side effects from these treatments -- much easier for me to tolerate (course, I don't like having to go in every week!).

tousled1 01-10-2008 07:53 PM

Brenda,

Have you been having echocardiograms or MUGAs every three months while on Herceptin? I would not wait -- call your doctor and ask for an echo immediately. Like Sheila said an echo is non invasive.

Jyber 01-11-2008 05:41 AM

Yup, you should get an echo pronto. I am now on a herceptin pause because of my drop in LVEF. I am being seen by a cardiologist who has me on a heart med to try to bring my LVEF back up.

My oncologist says she attended a presentation at a conference that said that there is expected a geometric rise in heart problems in the future due to chemotherapy and herceptin treatments.

As for symptoms, I did not notice any except that I was less able to keep the pace with my morning walking partner.

Brenda_D 01-11-2008 07:38 AM

I go to my PCP today and will ask for an echo asap. I had a rough night due to chest hurting. I think it may just be muscle pain, though.
Sheila, I'll also bring up about tender points above and below the clavicle, among a whole list of things.
I've been really hurting in the hips, thighs and feet.

Forgot to say that I've had only 1 Muga, and that was 1 year ago, half way through my chemo, and at my request.
In defense of my Onc, I did ask him a couple treatments ago, when I could have a new Muga and he said "anytime". I felt ok at that time (as far as heart), and had just had a MRI (brain), so thought I'd wait a little while. But now it's time.

Brenda_D 01-12-2008 03:13 PM

Update

I am scheduled for an echo next week. My PCP did an EKG, and it was fine. I'm also to get a chemical stress test.
My blood pressure was way too high, and I'm on another BP med. It seems to be working. My BP and chest pain are ok today.

Malena 01-25-2008 10:46 AM

I had big problem with herceptin, after 2 infusions I arrived to 15% of ejection fraction.
The symtomps were:
-high pulsations (150 per minute)
-breath problems
-problems in sleeping (it was like a panic attack)
-tiredness.

MJo 01-25-2008 02:55 PM

I had a cough and was tired, but I didn't consider that a symptom of trouble. I was shocked when my oncologist told me my ejection fraction had dropped 16 points and he wanted me to stop at nine months.

Georgia girl 01-27-2008 06:14 AM

If you are having trouble breathing, it is definitely time for a MUGA - ask for it ASAP. When I switched to Tykerb, my heart function was completely repaired.

Brenda_D 01-27-2008 08:08 AM

I did get an echo, and my LVEF was 55%. The doctor thinks part of my problem was due to sinus infection and surgery scar tissue pain. She was more concerned about my high BP, which is now under control.

Jackie07 02-03-2008 07:46 PM

I did not have any symptoms, but the MUGA result had dropped more than 10%, so my oncologist told me I could not continue.