HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Big Bruise on leg and bump underneath (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35057)

Catherine 08-07-2008 10:46 PM

Big Bruise on leg and bump underneath

So, I ran into a table 2 weeks ago. Got a huge black and blue mark....aka bruise. Then a week later I could feel a definite, round, pea-like bump in the middle of the bruise. The bruise looks much better, but the bump is still there. Am I paranoid? I just do not remember ever being able to "feel" the bruise in my former life. I did the search thing on bruising, but did not see any references to bumps "under the bruise." Oh and yesterday, it felt all itchy. Any ideas? I am 2 years and 3 months past DX, I feel great, but get paranoid from time to time. Really do not want to call the onc office and go in and be told it is a recovering bruise. Any ideas?

Thanks, Catherine

SoCalGal 08-08-2008 12:11 AM

I'm guessing the bruise is either on your shin or your thigh? I have had bruises with a hard center. On me the itching means it's healing. I think the lump means you really hit it hard. I have had a nickel-sized hard center. Maybe it's a small hematoma. I would not worry but if you are worried just see if you can stop by your Onc's office next week. One quick look and your mind will be at ease!

Flori

Becky 08-08-2008 06:13 AM

Same as Flori. I have had these too. You could just wait a week and DON'T TOUCH or press on it. Let it be. I know the impulse is to touch, touch, touch and press to see if it is going away but don't because you may be irritating it more so it will actually take longer. It is just a bad bruise though but its natural to worry about everything.

Mary Jo 08-08-2008 07:52 AM

Dear Catherine,

Oh, I know, I know, I know EXACTLY what you are experiencing 'cause I just experienced this and the little pea size lump is gone.

I didn't bump my leg but when I had my DIEP reconstruction last month I was given TONS of heparin shots in my thighs. Hence....bruising and very sore thigh muscles. After a few weeks I noticed that where one of the bruises was I now had a small pea size, very firm, lump. FREAKED ME OUT TOO. I'm thinkin' - "come on, how could it be...no way...." and of coursed touched it and touched it and touched it CONTINUALLY. Then I quit touching it and told myself to leave it alone. Just today after reading your post I touched their (cause I forgot about it till reading this) and it is gone.

Not a doubt the same will be true for you.........oh to have bumps and bruises again and to think it could ONLY be a bump or a bruise huh? Those days are gone....but oh well!!

Love to you and nice hearing from you again,

Mary Jo

PinkGirl 08-08-2008 11:51 AM

Hey Catherine of Oregon,
I've had that too. I had a Hickman line for over a year
and when the time came to remove it, it didn't want to
budge. It was like a bad trip to the dentist. I ended up
quite bruised and had a little lump that was a hematoma.

Have a doctor look at it and put your mind to rest.

CLTann 08-08-2008 03:50 PM

When one gets a bruise, there are broken capillary blood vessels. Blood tends to coagulate there and you will sense a bump. For small bruises, most people will not notice the bump. I have never heard of a malignant bump caused by a bruise. Set your mind at ease. It takes a long time for the body to absorb the blood clot. Itching is a part of healing.

harrie 08-10-2008 08:17 PM

Catherine, I know exactly what you are talking about and worried about. I had this bad contusion (bruise) on the side of my shin from getting kicked really hard while playing soccer like 5 yrs ago. At the time it bruised bad and had quite a lump. Over the yrs, long after the healing of the buise I could palpate over it I feel like "thickening" beneath the area and a bit of numbness. I was also worried that it was something worse like a tumor. But after showing it to my internist, oncologist, plastic surgeon that did my diep, and chemo oncologist, and even my massage therapist... they all confirmed to me that it was just like scar tissue from the injury and my massage therapist in fact told me I could probably massage it out of there. It was a nagging worry for quite a while until I heard the same consistent message from all the above.
I know how you feel.
You just want to be sure, right?!

Catherine 08-10-2008 10:14 PM

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your replies. I thought I already wrote a little thank you, but I do not know where it went. The bruise is much better and the little "lump" is still there, but it is smaller. I am relieved. You all helped put my mind at ease.

Love and Hugs, Catherine