HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update - progression confirmed; the last shoe drops (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50415)

chrisy 06-13-2011 06:21 PM

Update - progression confirmed; the last shoe drops

Well goils (and boys),

I've hesitated to post - and will just HATE updating my history....but my June 1 Pet/CT confimed I have at least one very lively and growing liver met and a node that is lit up like a christmas tree. So I'm officially "off" the T-DM1 study after 54 treatments - over 3 years. A fabulously long ride...but of course still not long enough. Greedy little girls, aren't we?

So, I'm in the process of choosing a new horse to ride - and fortunately there are several options.

As the most aggressive option, I'm screening for a small study with Taxol (bye bye hair), Herceptin, and MK2206 which is an AKT inhibitor. The hope is (if I can qualify - I'm dancing close to the edge of several exclusion criteria) that would shrink things down and then we would go after the node (and maybe the met) locally. It is the SAME old dumb tumor every time, maybe it just needs the horcrux treatment.

Next choices would be Herceptin/Xeloda or Herceptin/Tykerb, but as we're looking for shrinkage (where's George Costanza when you need him?), the taxol mix might be better. And as the others are all FDA approved, these would be options anytime, not so with the new study drug.

Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin slapped my liver mets into remission back in 2004, maybe it can repeat the performance, along with the AKTI. I saw some interesting info on the AKTI's in San Antonio - yet another piece of the puzzle perhaps.

So yes, I am majorly bummed about the TDM1 as you can imagine. BUT I still think it is a fabulous drug and would continue to encourage people to fight like hell to get it.

So...calling all prayer warriors, propeller heads, any ideas or good thoughts are welcomed.

Pam P 06-13-2011 06:45 PM

Re: Update - progression confirmed; the last shoe drops

Chrisy - I've been wondering about you & was glad to see your update, but not the fact that the progression was confirmed. You've outlined several good options for the next attack. Whichever one is used better bomb that darn liver met once and for all. I'm no prop head but will be sending prayers. Pam

Mary Jo 06-13-2011 07:06 PM

Hi Chrisy,

Praying for you. Asking God to make it clear....what should the next treatment round be. Praying peace, strength and healing. Love ya sister.

Mary Jo

CoolBreeze 06-13-2011 07:14 PM

Have you ever discussed radiofrequencey ablation for your liver mets? With only one met it seems like a very viable treatment for you but maybe there is a reason you can't have it?

Kim in DC 06-13-2011 07:15 PM

I was just thinking about you. If you have plenty of options then use them! I was reading Dr. Block's book just before checking on my her2 family. There is lots of hope!

Sandra in GA 06-13-2011 07:24 PM

Chris,
I will be praying for you ~ for guidance in chosing the best treatment option, for peace, for healing, and for your continued optomistic attitude ~ you are an inspiration to me!
Love and Hugs,
Sandra

flynny 06-13-2011 07:26 PM

Sending you lots and lots of prayers! You deserve it!

sassy 06-13-2011 08:59 PM

Chrisy,

Aw Shoot! Just glad there are options--prayers your way for guidance and strength.

ElaineM 06-13-2011 09:04 PM

I am sorry to hear about the progression. However I need to tell you that whatever you decide to do will be the right choice for you. You have been very good at picking the right treatments for whatever is going on.
I have my fingers crossed for you too !!!!!!!!

Rich66 06-13-2011 09:12 PM

I have mixed feelings about taxanes. But some clearly have great results with them...as you certainly have. If you end up considering a Taxol including approach outside the trial, maybe Abraxane would have less side effects. But I think there is some suggestion that Abraxane can work when Taxol doesn't..so..whether to use it before giving taxol a chance..

StephN 06-13-2011 09:29 PM

This news is hardly the "LAST shoe." I am sure you have a whole closet of shoes left to drop!

But, drat, your cruise control has gone on the fritz.

That trial is intriguing. Keep us informed of your progress in entering that treatment. Often there is a new way to target that has shown great effectiveness for you, so why not go for it?

Cyber hugs and wishes for this choice to be an easy one.

Elizabethtx 06-13-2011 09:34 PM

Sending up prayers for your latest decisions! You have been inspirational to so many others and it is our turn to hold you up and walk with you! Hugs!

Rich66 06-13-2011 09:42 PM

Yes..may you be the Imelda Marcos of shoe drops ;)

Chelee 06-14-2011 01:52 AM

Chrisy, Darn it all...I could just kick something. At least you do have lots of good options to consider--the hardest part is choosing which trt to go with--or in your case which horse you want to ride? I don't think you can go wrong with any of them--you just want the one that will kick the crap out of those buggers for inturrupting your great run with T-DM1. However I know you will get back to NED once again! Have you thought about asking Dr. Slamon his opinion? I will be watching to see what you come up with? I just know that node and liver met don't stand a chance with you coming after it. Sending lots of positive thoughts and good energy your way.

Chelee

Trish 06-14-2011 02:03 AM

Sorry about the confirmed progression. My liver mets also progressed when I dropped the Abraxane of of my mix-have just added it back and am hoping that will get me back to decreasing rather than increasing met size. I need both Herceptin AND Tykerb WITH chemo it seems to achieve reduction . On another cite Abraxane/Gemcitabine/Herceptin has been suggested for rapidly progressing lung mets.Lots of shoes left-all the best with choosing the next approach. We are a work in progress....
Trish

pibikay 06-14-2011 02:57 AM

Sorry to learn about the progression.Will be praying for you

Becky 06-14-2011 04:14 AM

Rats Chrisy. One pesky met. I know you will do well on whatever you choose to do next. Love and hugs to you.

krisvell 06-14-2011 04:46 AM

Chrisy,
You've got my payers and support. You have a lot of options available.
I pray for shrinkage and then vanishing!
Hugs and prayers,
Kris......

caya 06-14-2011 06:58 AM

Chrisy,

Sorry to hear about the recurrence of the pesky liver met and node. Sounds like there are lots of options, and I am praying that one of them works for you ASAP.

all the best
caya

ammebarb 06-14-2011 07:47 AM

Chrisy, sending my prayers too. Hope you have a plan soon that will finish off that met and node!