HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo Brain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38166)

Janice100 02-24-2009 08:48 PM

Chemo Brain

It has been a very long time since I have posted since I am 5 years out of treatment. What I should have been doing is letting all of you just starting this journey know is that I am proof that there is great hope!
At diagnosis I was stage 3 and strongly her2++++, and I made it through and so can all of you.
What I need help with now seems so mundane but is truly a problem in my life - chemo Brain - it won't go away and severely interferes with my work and life.
Why doesn't the medical profession help?

Janice

Joe 02-24-2009 09:19 PM

The drug Provigil has had some success in treating chemobrain.

Provigil News Release

Regards
Joe

Jackie07 02-24-2009 09:51 PM

Have you checked with your doctor and get a referral to the occupational therapy (and possibly physical therapy also) department? The OT people should be able to help.

My chemo brain was worse because I had had Gamma-knife for brain tumors (unrelated to) before breast cancer. And I worked at three different schools, yet still couldn't get my teaching contract renewed to complete my internship.

So now I am getting trained for another line of work - something that has low stimulant and not as stressful.
Havn't (finished the program)found it yet. But I am very hopeful.

Remember, it is a 'use it or lose it' situation. Stay on this board, it will help you to focus besides the good information exchanged here.

Jean 02-25-2009 07:20 AM

Dear Janice,
Congratulations on your milestone of 5 yrs.
How wonderful and you give much inspiration to many.

I was reading this article which I have linked for your review...

http://ihealthbulletin.com/blog/2008...mory-problems/

Best Wishes!
Jean

Janice100 02-25-2009 11:15 AM

Thank you all so much - hope and help always gets me through.
Joe - I have been trying to get that drug and my doctor wouldn't give it to me - so I am going to another doctor!

Janice

fauxgypsy 03-01-2009 05:46 PM

I am wondering if mine is chemobrain or tamoxifen side effects. I don't think I was having this much trouble while I was on Arimidex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18923905

rondo 03-02-2009 03:08 PM

Janice,
You have my sympathy regarding the chemobrain. If you are interested in a nutritional-supplement approach to this problem, here is what I did and continue to do: fish oil 1200 mg caps, 5 per day; Coenzyme Q 10 200 mg per day; alpha lipoic acid 300 mg twice daily. All of these products are thought by naturopaths to help with brain health and they have other benefits as well. The ALA is an antioxidant and should be stopped for a few days before and after each chemo treatment. I will probably reduce the coQ10 to 50 mg and stop the ALA after a year. I take other supplements as well, but these are the most 'brain-specific'.
I certainly experienced chemo brain during my treatment it but only for several days during each cycle. Now, 4 months after finishing chemo, I feel my brain is completely back to normal. I realize you can't prove prevention, but these things are very safe and have other health benefits as well.

Janice100 03-02-2009 03:55 PM

Rondo
Thank you for the info - I will try anything.
You certainly had a go round.
My best to a tough survivor
Janice

chicagoetc 03-05-2009 06:51 PM

This may or may not be helpful...my "chemo brain" [from Taxol or Herceptin or a combination of such] was bothersome enough that my oncologist sent me to a neurologist (oncology neurologist?) who referred me for Neuropsych Testing. There was impairment. Solutions were geared towards "symptom reduction" and included "Cognitive Remediation" [or something like that by Speech Therapists] and pharmacology. I think things are better now...but am still clumsy, forgetful, have trouble tracking conversations, other limitations that I don't generally share. The rehab was helpful in that it provided different ways of organizing things as well as ways to do cognitive exercises that increased stamina. Functionally I do pretty well. But it's definitely different than before. [Then again, what isn't different after being diagnosed with cancer?]

Melanie

Bill 03-06-2009 08:27 AM

Hi Janice! Congrats on the 5 years! I hope you find some relief for the chemo-brain. I seem to recall MJO, I think, made a post recently about sleep deprivation and chemo-brain. Just thought I'd throw that in if you are having any sleep-related issues. Good Luck!

MJo 03-07-2009 10:20 AM

I was just going to post when I read Bill's message. I was very concerned about cognitive trouble -- chemobrain. Saw a neurologist , tried Ritalin. Then I went off Femara for one month due to some liver trouble, started sleeping through the night and felt alert and sharp. Back on Femara, I'm not sleeping as well and I don't feel as sharp. So I've concluded a big part of my problem is sleep deprivation. I'm not giving up Femara, so I will have to adjust. THat's my experience only.

Believe51 03-10-2009 12:49 PM

Hello Sweetie, cannot offer advice but wanted to thank you for all the inspiration. Keep on keeping on.>>Believe51

Janice100 03-10-2009 04:59 PM

Thank you all.
I am going to try Modafinil - got a new Dr. appointment.
Has anybody tried it.
Janice

Donna 03-11-2009 11:44 PM

yep..

I have been on modafinil which is the generic name that in the U.S. is sold as Provigil. It's the best! A non-stimulant that promotes attentiveness and alertness with virtually no side effects. I tried everything from Ritalin to Cylert - you name it - and Provigil worked the best with no side effects for me. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! Good luck!

Donna

Janice100 03-12-2009 03:39 AM

Donna
Thank you!
I tried it yesterday - it was like the fog lifted.
Janice