HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   almost 14 years NED breast cancer and apparently it's back in my lungs (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66956)

Cathya 03-15-2018 08:43 AM

almost 14 years NED breast cancer and apparently it's back in my lungs

Apparently my stage 1 ovarian cancer is ok but my breast cancer has come back. What a mess. I hadn't been followed by a bc onc as mine retired a few years ago and I had been NED for long enough for them to feel safe in letting me go. When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer I went to his office to see him but needed another referral as he was retired. Being seen by these other onc's I let it go. They proceeded to watch for ovarian cancer but really not pay any attention to the breast cancer as they are "specialized". Finally I saw an old school onc who insisted that I was brca1 positive and referred me back to genetic's for testing (haven't heard a word from them and it takes about a year up here) and also a chest CT to be thorough. Here are the results:

There are multiple nodular densities studding the pleural
surface of the left lung and arising from the diaphragmatic surfaces . There is
involvement of the mediastinal pleural surface. One of the largest lesions is
in the left upper lung against the lateral chest wall (series 4 image #35).
This lesion measures 2.5 cm in length. There is a mediastinal pleural lesion as
well (image #78) measuring 2.5 cm in length. There is tumor studding the
surface of the major fissure. There is no significant pleural effusion.

Apparently ovarian spread is different and usually shows first in the abdomen which is clear in my previous CT done a month or so ago. I am waiting for a confirmation lung biopsy.

NED for so many years!! We are never safe I guess. I sure hope there's treatment. I'm trying to stay optimistic as I know so many here who have lived long lives as stage 4's.

Take care, Cathy

SoCalGal 03-15-2018 10:04 AM

Re: almost 14 years NED breast cancer and apparently it's back in my lungs

Cathy sorry to read this. I also have lung mets for the past 10+ years. Keep us posted. Stay strong if you can. Xoxo Flori

Carol Ann 03-15-2018 10:29 AM

I am so sorry, Cathy. This disease is such a sneaky bastard. Please keep us posted ... praying you find a treatment that knocks those lung mets down!

Carol Ann

jra40 03-15-2018 10:37 AM

So very sorry Cathy. Hugs and prayers to you!

MaineRottweilers 03-15-2018 01:18 PM

Cathy, I am so sorry to read that you are back in the soup. Let's find you a treatment that will knock it back without taking you down.

Donna H 03-15-2018 02:15 PM

Sending strength and hugs!

Becky 03-15-2018 03:31 PM

Sending prayers for you.

Pamelamary 03-15-2018 10:45 PM

So sorry to hear this, Cathy. I hope you are able to start treatment quickly and that it is kind to you - but tough on those mets!
Best wishes..... Pam

Cathya 03-16-2018 04:58 AM

Ladies, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Flori, I am heartened to hear you have kept your lung mets under control for so long. You give me hope. Thank you. I am curious as to what the treatment will be. Apparently if it was ovarian cancer spread there would have been surgery but that is not expected with breast cancer. Since I've had taxol twice I'm not sure they'll give it to me again. Boy I wish things were moving faster. I will say that posting here is like coming home. I am grateful for that.

Cathy

Melissa 03-16-2018 05:14 PM

Cathy,
I want you to know a friend of mine had her cancer return in her lungs after 16 years. She Was triple positive too, (now only Er positive). That's been four years ago and doing great! She still has mets in her lungs but they're smaller and she's had no progression elsewhere. There are many success stories and Many treatments available.
I'm wishing you the best!
Melissa

Cathya 03-17-2018 08:13 AM

Melissa; I'm sorry for your friends recurrence and all the stress, treatments etc. that brings but grateful for you letting me know. I have my first grandchild being born in April and have been worried that I might be a big burden for my daughter right when she is celebrating his arrival and will not be able to enjoy the birth. Your post gives me great hope. I can't thank you enough.

Cathy

lkc Gumby 03-17-2018 11:31 AM

Hi Cathy, I am sorry to hear of your recent news. However I did want to tell you that I worked a a couple of clinical trials a few years ago ironically her2 bc met protocols.
We saw excellent results with the now approved treatments.
There is real hope that those lesions will resolve.
Wishing you peace and joy with the new grandbaby.

Pray 03-17-2018 01:54 PM

Sorry to hear Cathy. I'll keep you in my prayers for a quick remission period.

StephN 03-17-2018 05:43 PM

Cathya, nice to see you again, but not for the reason!
I have heard good things about the new treatments and lung mets. You will know more after pathology. But what a stressful wait for you.

Does not sound like you had any symptoms yet, so good for the "old school" onc and his precaution.

Sending hugs and prayers for peace and better news.

Cathya 03-19-2018 07:07 AM

Hi Steph, yes it's been a long time. I do feel so much better being back on the board again. I can't believe it's a month from the CT to the biopsy. Seems forever to me. I'm so glad to hear from you and Linda that these new treatments are doing so well. I always did think the trick to this bugger cancer was just to live long enough for there to be successful treatments. I am so grateful for all of your thoughts.

Cathy

Laurel 03-21-2018 12:07 PM

Hi Cathy,

Sorry you are back because of recurrence, but glad to "see" you again. Goodness your story is sobering for all of us. From what I understand from your initial post you were not having symptoms such as shortness of breath from your lung lesions and they came as an unwelcome surprise? You say this old school onc insists you are brca1 positive, guessing b/c of the ovarian on top of breast ca. Do you really have to wait a year for the results to confirm same? Gosh, that is a long time and it has been a month since the scan and Bx. That is an such a head-messer! Waiting is awful with this disease. I am sorry you have to contend with that on top of other things. I bet you are eager to attack these newest invaders and I hope things move along swiftly going forward so you can get a treatment initiated. I wish you godspeed with it!

Cathya 03-23-2018 07:24 AM

Laurel;

The waiting is the worst! I think my problem is that oncologists here specialize and since i was a stage 1 ovarian patient they seemed to pay no attention to my former breast cancer. Delays all around. I go for my biopsy this coming Thursday then wait 10 days for results. I have phoned repeatedly and tried to speed things up with no positive results. I can't wait to start treatment knowing this cancer is not waiting for anything and is growing inside me. Thanks for your understanding. It is nice to "see" everyone again.....well, sadly not everyone.

Cathy

Laurel 03-23-2018 04:34 PM

Those wheels sure do grind slowly. Bx Thursday, well that is getting your somewhere. Still, that additional 10 day wait for the results is mighty tough! Pulling for you!

SoCalGal 03-24-2018 03:41 PM

Hey Cathy,
Sending you good thoughts and suggesting that you stay as distracted as possible, online shopping really helps :) It's so important to know what your treating, so aside from the waiting, it will be so helpful having a current biopsy in figuring out your plan. Please update when you're able. Flori

Catherine 03-25-2018 01:37 AM

Hi Cathy, this is tough! Waiting is tough! I agree with the advice for distractions as you wait for the final DX and treatment plan. New towels? New clothes? In the meantime check in often for all the good advice and great support that is still ticking away here thanks to Christine and Joe. I saw your nice post about the beginning of the site.

Sending love and support��