HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51772)

Catherine 10-13-2011 08:29 PM

Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

Hi, my friend taped this "movie" for me and we watched it together tonight. My friend lost her mother to BC and my friend is 62 and a 10-year cancer survior. Maybe it was easier for us to enjoy since she is 10 years out and I am 5 years out. Both of us thought it was excellent. Well scripted and well acted and yes emotional. Sponsored by Fordcares and Walgreens. Jennifer Annisten does some of the commericals. Lots of well-know actresses. Lots of very heart touching moments. And very honest and real. They did their research in my opinion. There is another thread that said it was too emotional. So perhaps view with caution. I think it first aired around Oct 13. I hope they show it again. There is some good humor too!

BonnieR 10-13-2011 09:02 PM

Re: Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

I watched it too. I believe each episode was directed by one of 5 actresses. I was really moved. It was done honestly and with good humor, too. I am glad to have seen it. But I can understand that it might be difficult for a newcomer.
Keep the faith.

ElaineM 10-14-2011 10:14 AM

I only saw parts of it in between doing something else, but I agree that It might be difficult for a newcomer facing a possible cancer diagnosis or someone who has not experienced cancer at all. I wonder if the staff of the movie interviewed real cancer patients to get background information for the movie?
I think it is going to repeat on Lifetime on Saturday for those who missed it, but might want to see it. Check your local TV schedule for more information.
I enjoyed the movie "Living Proof" again this year.

jml 10-14-2011 01:28 PM

I've been curious about this movie, but not willing to watch it, so thanks for posting your opinions.
I'm just so leary of the melodrama that is so often depicted in movies about BC & Survivors, and as blasphemous as it is to say, I'm not a big fan of October Pink Ribbon Month either;(
I'm a salty, old 9+yr Stage IV'er and often find that "we" are overlooked - no stories about living WITH cancer for years & years and continuous treatment for years & years and bald time & time again, but still SURVIVING and THRIVING as so many of us here can attest.
Still waiting for that story to be told.
I heard the Stage IV character in the film goes into "remission", which is technically incorrect as the words "remission" don't apply to Stage IVers.
I just get frustrated when the myth about being Stage IV is perpetuated - that we are sick, bald, in a dark room and everyone's sad and depressed.
One lady told me that I must not have the "bad kind" of Stage IV BC because I've been able to stay active and "but you look so healthy, no one would ever know!"
I truly believe that when I was dx'd Stage IV @primary dx 91/2 years ago, if I could have seen my story, I might have approached Survival a little differently.
It isn't until I met the amazing family of friends here that I truly felt like I was home, surrounded & supported by those who really know and understand.
Not every story has a happy ending, but that doesn't mean that the life that was lived wasn't active, vibrant and happy.
Maybe Hollywood needs the drama, but I certainly don't!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica

Kellennea 10-14-2011 01:59 PM

I thought the five directors did a great job. And I was moved as well. I decided to DVR it because it originally aired on 10/10, which was my 2nd wedding anniversary and I didnt want to spent it crying and emotional... I did that on out 1st year wedding anniversary because I was dx on 10/01/10.

Only being a year out from this whole nigthmare, I was afraid that it would open too many memories and it did. I cried, but I also laughed. I'm glad I watched it.

kelly

ElaineM 10-14-2011 02:20 PM

Maybe movie producers need to interview real people being treated with stage 4 breast cancer.

Debbie L. 10-14-2011 03:45 PM

Jessica, once again your words resonate with me. I didn't watch this either. Not because I thought it would upset me or make me too emotional -- but because I feared it would be what I expect from Lifetime -- a soap opera/after-school-special type of drama. (in the worst sense of the word "drama").

So I can't say anything about the movie, but did want to say to you, Jessica, that I hear you, as loudly and clearly (while nodding my head, YES) as is possible for someone not in metastatic shoes. I think it's important that you keep saying what you're saying -- the good, the bad and the ugly. One of those, by itself, has much less power. All good, as in Lifetime sugar-coating that tugs at emotions but sidesteps truth, is not the real story (although it's easier to hear). All bad/ugly risks coming across as whining, and that can be too easily dismissed.

You, Jessica, always strike just the right balance in your stories, and I honor you for that, and encourage you to continue writing, perhaps in a larger venue.

Warm regards,
Debbie Laxague

BonnieR 10-14-2011 06:54 PM

In reflecting about this program, I feel it was as much about how cancer affects the family as it was about cancer itself. The focus was alot on relationships and how people handle, or don't, the diagnosis. The Stage 4 patient, I recall the doctor saying her "remission" was extremely rare. And it was a device, I know, to promote a story line. About losing everything then starting over and second chances and I thought it was well done
Today I saw the film 50/50 and was very touched by it as well. Again, about cancer and relationships.

AlaskaAngel 10-15-2011 12:12 PM

Hi All,

I haven't seen the films discussed here and I don't want to derail the discussion about them, so I will start a new thread that discusses another source. (I also don't want the title of this thread to become confused with the materials I know about, by mentioning them. There may be some who are reading this thread who might want to check out the productions I'm thinking of.)

Thanks,

AlaskaAngel

chekmark 10-16-2011 04:27 AM

I watched most of it last night and it touched me in alot of ways. It even showed the scars after a double mastectomy. Looking at that on someone else was an eye opener for me. Did not look so bad. I think you need to be in the right place of your treatment and diagnosis to be able to watch it. I couldn't of watched it a year ago.

Sheila 10-16-2011 06:20 AM

I too watched the special last night, came in late on the first of the five, but got the jest of it at the end when I realized it went first circle.

Jessica...I so agree with you, while this was a slice of 5 lives, it seems no one ever shows the new face of breast cancer, the metastatic face...With the advancements in treatments, we are living longer with this disease. National metastatic breast cancer awareness was Oct 13....its a shame they cant portray those of us who never get out of treatment....those of us who live every week or 2 tethered to the IV line of drugs that keep us alive. I dont think the majority of people realize what that is like, just because we all dont look sick, doesnt mean we arent.

I am greatful, but it would be nice if others really understood all the faces of breast cancer. Maybe then we would find a cure!

Catherine 10-16-2011 10:53 AM

Thank you Jessica, Deebie and Shelia for being open about Your reality vs TV reality. All 3 of you made comments that I appreciated reading. You are the real women and the real warriors. Being theathred to IVS and Meds can not be alot of fun. Thanks for sharing your reality with us. I hope and pray that real advances will bring a cure for you and for any of us who progress to Metastatic stages. I just reread my post from the other night. I probably sounded like I have my head in the sand. I totally get the comments that this was a "Lifetime, fluff-type production." Please excuse me if I sounded trivial or that I thought this was the gospel on BC. The more I reflect on it, it was the Holllywood approach. Perhaps this movie will at least do some good in helping people understand how cancer affects relationships.

jml 10-16-2011 11:47 AM

I'm really enjoying and appreciating hearing everyone's views on this movie, as we all come to it at different points in our treatment, diagnosis & survival.
Thanks for allowing me to be so honest with my opinions - and I don't at all presume to speak for all Stage IV'ers, just this one. And I don't at all take for granted the goodness that comes from "October Pink Ribbon Month" -this disease has touched so many, too many people - and however each chooses to acknowledge, even celebrate the journey is a personal one.
In the first year of my treatment, already Stage IV, I did the Komen walk without anything on my head, except for a few errant patches of hair and a pink jeweled crown. But even then I remember feeling surprised that I didn't see more women like me. Anyway, I've grown much more subdued now that 9 years have passed!

I might attribute my edginess right now to pending scans, in T minus 48 hrs...This will be my first scans since switching to Halaven 9 weeks (3 cycles) ago. It's probably a good weekend to be sequestered home with severe neutropenia & anemia, bc I can feel the anxiety creeping in & this is classically my least "graceful" time.

From what I've read, the film really highlights the relationships of those around "us". That, I definitely understand - my sister is taking the red-eye in, landing @6:30am so that she can be with me for my scans @7:30am. I could not do this without my family and friends who've loved me through every minute, even when I'm at my "least graceful".
And that includes you guys, here.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
Dx -5/17/02 - 33years old; Stage IV
L IDC w/single liver met
Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single 4 mm brain lesion & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study due to elevated LFT's
Discover progression of 2 small lesions in colon.
8/11 - started Halaven + Hercceptin
10/14/2011 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin
*10/18/2011 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen

CourtneyL 10-16-2011 06:19 PM

Just wanted to share that this movie is available free online at hulu.com saw it last night.

Bill 10-17-2011 06:06 PM

(Bill butts in) Catherine, in my little opinion, you don't have anything to apologize about. You were just giving an opinion about the movies. And as for you, Jessica, you didn't really come across as "edgy". Please accept my good thoughts and prayers for good results on your scans. And , Debbie L., you still have one of the top 3 Avatar pix, in my book.

BonnieR 10-17-2011 06:13 PM

Hey, Bill! What am I , chopped liver? As they say. Who says that, anyway, and what does it mean?
Anyhow, I loved seeing you showing up and butting it. You are always a breath of fresh air!
Keep the faith.

Bill 10-19-2011 06:53 PM

Hi Bonnie! Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just messed up.....again. Love ya!

BonnieR 10-19-2011 07:24 PM

Bill, I hope you know I was kidding. I love you and miss you around here. How are things?
Keep the faith.

KDR 10-20-2011 10:10 AM

All, I saw "Five" and loved it. I don't think there is any way anyone can portray the actual experience unless they are the fighter/s, but I think the directors did a good job, coming close to the experience on many occasions. I particularly loved the theme: that breast cancer made such an impact on the little girl that she became an oncologist.
Karen