HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Well, This Blows! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59642)

KDR 12-02-2013 12:06 PM

Well, This Blows!

I went so peacefully into surgery meant to ablate my liver met, and the rest is history here: major hemothorax, ablation incomplete but 8cm x 4cm hole in liver, thoracotomy (real nice scar), collapsed lung, 3.5 liter blood loss, transfusion...no driving for two months, still hurts to laugh or sneeze, and now a little met is winking at me, again...so Friday's PET says.

Just had the genomic sequencing done, which will help in choosing a treatment should we decide that route of systemic therapy. But I'm having a "special" CT done Wednesday to see about the blood flow to the met. Hhhmm. Sounds like a good place to start, and not just jump to ablation. This test could help us determine what kind of ablation I might need.

Interesting that the other tumors in my body have never come back. Ever. Just the liver mets, which seem to find sanctuary and be very cozy with all the blood in the liver.

I still feel like a great white took a bite out of my side. Numb from the shoulder to last rib in front and trouble bending. But cool that I haven't had chemo for quite some time and I can type without pain, and I can separate two pieces of paper!

I am looking into MD Anderson Houston for the ablation, as well as Memorial Sloan Kettering NYC. I know all about MSKCC-NYC, but if you have any information on MD Anderson and this topic, please share!

Warmly
Karen

phil 12-02-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Well, This Blows!

Hey karen, sorry to hear this news. smart to wait on type of tx. the last liver tumor was er+ , i think. so other er+ type tx's , maybe w/ chemo cancer hasnt seen before , are one thought . as ablation is a good killer for cancer that shows on scans , but the last ablation did miss some . Lorraine had a real good high frequency radio wave type ablation done at MGH , a Dr. Arellano. he was great , minimal pain, he said that MGH had invented that type of ablation 10 + yrs ago . God Bless, Heal.

carlatte7 12-02-2013 04:18 PM

Yeah, it certainly does. It sounds like you have the beginnings of a plan though. Prayers and all my best wishes to you!

Ceesun 12-02-2013 06:00 PM

Karen, Sorry about this blip on the screen, but you WILL handle it of that I am sure. I admire you and your posts. I am off to my favorite place, Sarasota, for some R and R...hence my nickname Cee Sun...but I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. Chin Up! Cathy

Coux92 12-02-2013 06:15 PM

Sorry to hear this Karen, keep your chin up and heal fast.

Pamelamary 12-02-2013 11:08 PM

Sorry to hear your news, Karen. These pesky liver mets just don't want to give up. It sounds as if you are giving much thought to the next step. I can't offer advice at all, but wish you a speedy return to NED!
Best wishes.... Pam

jra40 12-03-2013 07:56 AM

Your right that really does blow! I am sorry to hear this news but you are strong and will get through this hurdle. I wish I could kick that winking met right in the face!

All my prayers for healing and comfort for you!

Jessica

nsebesta 12-03-2013 10:27 AM

Karen, I had two mets on my liver ablated at MDAnderson in 2005. Great place, great doctors. I've been NED since! Praise God.

linn65 12-03-2013 12:12 PM

Karen,

I am not happy you have them but happy you FOUND them! Now, you can get rid of them!!

Geez, there needs to be a cure for this terrible disease...not NED crap. :)

BonnieR 12-03-2013 01:47 PM

Well, crap on a crap stick, as we are so fond of saying here!
Keep the faith, I know you will

tricia keegan 12-03-2013 04:45 PM

Sorry to read this Karen and will be thinking of you and sending good wishes. xx

Laurel 12-03-2013 04:50 PM

Man, Karen, that truly does stink. I am sorry you are now confronted with that seemingly never ending pressure to decide your fate, so to speak, regarding treatment options. At the end of the day, the decision is always ours, isn't it? The docs advise, but ultimately the final determination is the patient's.

One thing I am supremely confident about is your innate brilliance. I believe you will hit upon the best treatment for the situation. What I can do is pray your choice works and like your other areas of mets your liver will be NED and stay NED!

I hope your battered body heals swiftly and that your comfort level improves appreciably tonight as you rest. I pray tomorrow dawns bright and pain free!

Jackie07 12-03-2013 07:47 PM

Ditto to everything that Laurel has just said.

Nsebesta's story is encouraging. It won't hurt to get a 2nd opinion from another leading cancer center.

Sending you good vibes.

LeahM 12-03-2013 08:22 PM

Yep it blows. I am sending you comforting and healing vibes.

KDR 12-04-2013 06:50 AM

Thank you so much for the good wishes. Today I am having the CT to look at the way the tumor behaves, how it lives, how it is thriving, and then we'll decide on what ablation technique will most effective. Then, I have to think long and hard on whether I do surgery again or just go back to a systemic therapy. Right in the midst of holiday shopping...all I really want to do is shed this skin and run free, like it never happened.

caya 12-04-2013 07:07 AM

Good luck with the CT scan today Karen!

Hoping those "damned spots" will be treated soon so they can be "out out!!""

all the best
caya

linn65 12-04-2013 08:22 AM

Karen,

Man if history has anything to do with your future and surgeries that is a tough choice. Oh and the systemic approach well they "Blow" too!!! If surgery ends up being your plan just no the samething WILL NOT happen twice because they will be extra, extra careful to make it just right..

I think I would throw the dice and be a ride or die kind of chick and BLOW that met right out of your liver and it never come back!! You got this...I dream of Jeannie can do anything with a head nod!! :)

norkdo 12-04-2013 12:43 PM

karen so very sorry about what you went through. praying, praying.
nora

jra40 12-05-2013 11:04 AM

Hi Karen - Thinking of you and praying your scan went well yesterday.

Next time you are in Pittsburgh, I need to treat you to Primanti Brothers! Those sandwiches will heal anything that ails us :)

Jessica

Rolepaul 12-05-2013 05:17 PM

Karen,
We are at MD Anderson this weekend through Tuesday. I can tell you we would not go anywhere else. Nina is there every four weeks. I go every three months for MRI scans and evals. Let me know if you go.
Rolepaul