HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Heart Problems (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59709)

kimsmo 12-10-2013 12:17 PM

Heart Problems

Just checking to see if anyone else is experiencing heart issues due to Herceptin.

My left ventrical was functioning at 78% prior to Herceptin, and after five months of treatment, it is down to 53%, according to my Muga scans. However, my echocardiogram and EKG show my heart is functioning very well. My oncologist conferred with some cardiologists at a cancer research hospital and they said they rely solely on echocardiograms for Herceptin monitoring. They don't think the Muga is very reliable. So after a 9-week rest from Herceptin, I resumed treatment yesterday, and we'll continue to monitor my heart regularly via echocardiogram until I complete Herceptin treatment in June.

If the Herceptin causes heart damage, I've been assured it can be treated and shouldn't affect my quality of life. My oncologist and cardiologist agree that HER2 cancer is so aggressive, the benefit of Herceptin outweighs the risk of heart damage.

Does anyone have a similar story or advice?

Posts 02-05-2014 08:38 PM

Re: Heart Problems

Many people experience a lowering of LVF during Herceptin treatment, but typically the numbers go back up when treatment ends or is suspended.

You may wish to post this question on the main HER2 thread to gather more responses.

Best of luck.

waterdreamer 02-08-2014 02:10 PM

I agree with your oncologist. You may want to look at supplementing with a Potassium/Magnesium supplement. I take Twinlabs. I was having heart issues on Kadcyla - which is Herceptin combined with chemo, my heart was skipping beats. Now I take Potassium/Magnesium every night as advised by the cardiologist and I have no problems. Also you may want to look into taking Evening Primrose Oil - besides supposedly protecting us from Her2+ overexpression, it is good for your skin, hair nails and joints. I have been on Herceptin for 5 years now and my echo is great.
Best wishes
Fern

Aussie Girl 02-09-2014 12:28 AM

Dear Kimsmo,

If you search the site using the search function up near the top of the page, you'll find several other threads about heart troubles. They do tend to resolve and may not recur when you have herceptin again. The echocardiogram is the test to rely on. The medications used depend on your symptoms and your doctor's preferences. Keeping your haemoglobin up with iron and vitamins through diet or supplements will reduce symptoms.

Hope it all goes well.

Aussie Girl

JJ201349! 02-09-2014 06:35 PM

Dear Kimso,

I had the same problem and now I'm waiting until the end of february to have another MUGA. My baseline was 53% and it dropped to 34%.

If the ventricular function improves, my oncology will restart the Herceptin.

Blessings and Good luck!!
JJ

Jackie07 02-10-2014 01:17 AM

Hi,

Wow, you have a very strong heart!

My Herceptin was cut short after just 4 weekly ones due to declined MUGA.

I was told (or read) that the treatment is usually halted when MUGA has declined more than 10 % or has dropped below 50%. I had to stop at 22 weeks (18 weeks of TCH + 4 weekly Herceptin) in January, 2008, and so far I've been doing well breast cancer-wise.

One (or more?) member has reported using enalarpril to help strengthen the heart. I do know that exercise seems to be an important factor. Walking 30 minutes each day does wonders.

Sending you good vibes.