HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with this. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66350)

VyvL 08-02-2017 08:58 AM

My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with this.

I am stage 1a her2+ grade 3. No lymph nodes involved. (Left side) I received 12 weekly infusions of taxol/herceptin. This ended July 5. Since then herceptin only weekly. I begin a 6 week session of daily radiation next Monday. My oncologist has suspended herceptin during that period saying this is what he always does. He said my cancer was so small there shouldn't be a problem. I'll still get a year of herceptin so I shouldn't be concerned. Well, I am and he knows it because I've questioned this decision. He says the combo could possibly damage my heart (which had been checked thoroughly and is fine) because I was diagnosed with anxiety just prior to this diagnosis, if I question anything, I feel like he only sees unrealistic anxiety. And has on occasion said...Why do you worry so much? It's not worry it's concern about doing what's best in my situation. I've trusted him on every turn until this. I'm old enough to know the difference. I'm just not comfortable suspending herceptin. I can't find any studies that support this for like situations. Any thoughts.

jaykay 08-02-2017 09:31 AM

Re: My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with thi

Hi and congratulations on completing chemo. My herceptin was not suspended during my radiation. I was on an every three week schedule, not every week and my radiation was on my right side, not my left. Haven't heard of herceptin being suspended during radiation but maybe some of the other people on the board have.

Best
Janis

Becky 08-02-2017 01:25 PM

Re: My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with thi

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles

Although herceptin may not be stopped during rads, being a lefty versus a right can increase heart toxicity.

For peace of mind, maybe you can get one 3 week dose just before if your onc won't relent and let you continue. Also, the half life of herceptin is 25 days so some will be in you even after you're done. If you have to stop, make sure to ask if you need to have the larger loading dose again.

VyvL 08-02-2017 03:41 PM

I understand each of our situations might be a bit different but supporting each other along the way is golden. Thank you for each of your responses. Your input is much appreciated.
I will see my onco next Tuesday for my regular monthly visit. He expects me to have questions...so I will ask about the loading dose, clarification about toxicity concerns, and herceptin half life for my weekly infusions.

Hopeful 08-03-2017 06:14 AM

My bc was on the left side, and I received Herceptin and radiation at the same time. At the time (2006), there was information that having both together promoted synergy between the two. Both my onc and rads onc were in agreement on having the treatments together. I have had no heart issues to date. I did take COQ 10 for the duration of rads treatment - Becky, you were a proponent of that, weren't you?

Best of luck to you with your treatment plan Vyvl,

Hopeful

Becky 08-03-2017 08:18 PM

I have always been a proponent of CoQ10 during Herceptin treatment. 400 mg per day really can help keep the ejection factor up.