HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   TDM-1 news (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54058)

fullofbeans 04-18-2012 02:36 AM

TDM-1 news

I have received my first dose last week, Thursday. Yeah!! I have been feeling so much more at peace ever since.

Initially I did not have any side effects. But my platelets have crashed (grade 3 toxicity) so I was unable to do the angioplasty procedure planned yesterday that could potentially help with my puffed up face (planned for next Wednesday so ok about that) they want my platelet to naturally come back up. I have also felt tired but it is hard to tell after all the heparin tribulation/randomisation if I was simply mentally exhausted. I also have had headache. But he ho it will pass.

I am having more problem breathing now tho that I did last week and new pain spot in the lungs (on the back) . I know that my lungs is full of tumours more than 20 with some over 5cm.. but I am hoping that the pain is perhaps it is a good sign as oppose to just things progressing fast. They are perhaps squealing right??

I have started 2 weeks ago a super healthy delicious veg raw food diet (+fish) and I feel better for it, much better. I think the miso I use daily now helped with my oetrogen level too (I am ER- but on menopause). I even got myself a dehydrator: going serious again with it! and enjoying it. I have experienced with it in the past initially when diagnosed.

I will have my first scan in 6 weeks but until then I am feeing quite at peace and continue planning for the summer and getting into my gardening.

NEDenise 04-18-2012 05:53 AM

Re: TDM-1 news

FOB,
I think you're right...I can hear the cancer beastie's death screams all the way across the ocean! TDM1 is 'da bomb'!

Hope the side effects aren't too troublesome...rest, and get your strength back...let the drugs do the hard work!

Thinking of you and praying for good things!
Denise

schoolteacher 04-18-2012 05:55 AM

FOB,

Yeah! I am so glad you got the drug last week. Hope your headache is gone. I am saying the cancer is screaming from the treatment. It is raining in Georgia today.

Amelia

Ellie F 04-18-2012 08:52 AM

Hi FOB
So glad you got T-DM1 and now I want it to get rid of all those nasty cells and be your magic bullet.

Ellie

ElaineM 04-18-2012 09:22 AM

I am so glad you got T DM1. Hear me clapping half way around the world ??
Maybe some of the T DM1 gals will chime in and share their experiences with you.

StephN 04-19-2012 11:47 AM

Dear K -
VERY happy to hear that you have prevailed with this trial!
I can hear your sigh of relief with that post. some pain with treatment is normal, especially with mets. Remember that the DM1 in your drug is a mean sister compared to the T. And the tumors are getting hit inside the cells.

Your idea to keep on with your summer plans is a good one, but you have to be close to your treatment center in any case.

Hope the spring weather is also helping to cheer you up, as well as your puppy. Cyberhugs to you.

7andcounting 04-19-2012 03:57 PM

Full of beans, so very happy for you to be getting TDM1. Hoping this is your magic bullet.

caya 04-19-2012 07:35 PM

Very happy for you FOB. You are one great Warrior Woman!

all the best
caya

Mandamoo 04-19-2012 07:42 PM

Go for it FOB!
Hope that things improve quickly. :-)

Jean 04-19-2012 07:45 PM

FOB - great news....so happy to hear that you have started the TDM1 treatment. Sending you healing vibes and I think you should start a veggie cookbook!

jean

fullofbeans 04-21-2012 02:17 AM

Thank you so much about the encouragement.

I have been feeling a bit better and today it may sound anodyne but I sneezed which 3 days ago I had suddenly lost the ability to do because my lung would not expand enough and was afraid it meant progression. So many thing it could have been from a small pulmonary embolism (had all the signs but with platelet at 25 what could they have done anyway) to small lung collapse (could hear some sound nothing can be done) or even a bloated stomach pressing on a lung scar..all are better than prog.. these things than can resort themselves..fed up of being scanned and hospitals so I let nature takes its course..

and I am a bit better already so the plan:

1-So hopefully get my face sorted soon (once my platelets are up)
2-See some really improvement after next TDM1 IV (in my breathing)
3-Camper in the UK for the moment
4-Go to my best friend wedding in Turkey (very ambitious plan)
5-Write a "un"cook book as Jean suggest!! I have been thinking of organising raw meals at the cancer charity close to me.

Ceesun 04-21-2012 04:46 PM

FOB, Consider me another happy, happy camper for you! All the best with TDM1 and that "to-do list," too! Ceesun

Mtngrl 04-21-2012 05:14 PM

FOB--

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm pulling for you!

I bet the pain is because of apoptosis, one of my favorite cancer words (not that there are many). Here's to your health.

Sending love.

Joan M 04-21-2012 06:06 PM

Great news about getting into the T-DM1 arm of the trail!! Go for it!! Joan

phil 04-24-2012 01:42 PM

Congrats FOB !! Did we talk about the platelet issue before ? Lorraines dropped from the beginning, from over 200,000 at start to about 90,000 after 3-4 doses at 3.6 strength. She got 3 more doses at that strength , total of 7. In Hindsight probably should have cut back a bit earlier , after 4-5, depending on plat level. But we didnt know , went on, and plats went to 40,000 after 7 doses. ( had a sepsis issue from old stents in April, 2011, , but that was a unique problem , did drop her plats to 29,000, briefly. didnt help, but speaks to these steps as having good results to come back from there. ) Switched to 3.0 ( every 3 weeks ). And barely hung on , but plats gradually rose starting last July , to 80,000 last week. In May, Lorraine started diet changes sharks liver oil, chlorophyll at health food store, 1,000 mg folic acid, green leafy veggies, spinach , sweet potato, good quality red meat 7 days , and 4 days prior to tx. ( plats have a life in body of 6-8 days ). We favor Porterhous e steak asit has fat in it, roast beef. If your bone marrow is under attack, you have to be a bit of a cavewoman ! Brisk 15' walk just before blood draw ( tip from a Gen. doc ), regular light exercise, regular rest . Doc says not having bone mets may have given L. more bone marrow reserve,
l Its working ! Starting 18th month today ! Good luck !

phil 04-24-2012 01:46 PM

Also, lots of excitement over here w/ the Sloan / Farber trial w/ pertuzumab and t dm-1 at low weekly doses ( 2.4 ). Taxol is given at start , but gets dropped after 3 months or so, if theres quick response . Many are having more dramatic results than Lorraine, and she had a quick response. I've heard of NED after amonth or two ! I think pert. / t dm-1 will be the tx choice of the future. low weekly dosing of t dm-1 seems to protect against plat loss.

Pray 04-24-2012 09:02 PM

Gods blessings to you both Fob and Larraine. You and your families are in my prayers.

Peace,

Nancy

schoolteacher 04-25-2012 04:40 AM

Hope to hear from you soon, FOB.

Amelia

fullofbeans 04-25-2012 05:10 PM

Thanks all for the good words. My platelets are on the way back 117 almost 2 weeks after the treatment. Therefore likely to be over 150 by week 3.

Phil how long after the treatment were Lorraine's platelets checked? was that after the 3 weeks prior to the next treatment?

Mine went low 5 days after 1st tdm1 IV but we only found out by accident because of the angioplasty planned procedure.

Having the angiop. this coming Tuesday and really hoping that my face wil be normal again. And surely the fact that more blood will go to the heart as oppose to being pushed to my face will help my body generally and my heart having to pump less.

Good to know that the dose is working at lower level too. I eat plenty of oily fish and veg, I have no doubt that my diet is adequate, if only by the way I feel mentally. 18 months that is nice news to hear, I've always think weekly IV is better: repeat bashing of cancer.. inconvenient but better what ever works

I hope that me and Michka respond to TDM1 too, it is hard to tell between symptoms and everything else going my breathing got worse a week after tdm1 but it seems to have ease up now a bit now or at least it is def not not getting worse since last week. have had blood clot issue so it could have been that.

I had a skin rash coming upon my breast and looked like skin mets but the day after had another patch on my kidney then another patch on my leg with few pimples here and there.. which did not fit the criteria. I was worried )although with eveything that has been happening I was quite calm about it, funny how one adapts) but not anymore. Never heard of skin rash as side effect tho.

That is the news for now next tdm1 next thursday.

KDR 04-25-2012 05:52 PM

FOB,
Things are really going smoothly thus far here. With T-DM1, platelets take a major hit, but rebound quickly. Keep up with a very healthy diet and rest when you need to. The only side effects with the two drugs I am on is fatigue and a little nausea on infusion day, which is easily controlled with a single Zofran or maybe a cup of black tea.

I wish you the absolute best -
Karen