HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Another unrelated surgery for me (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50816)

rinaina 07-20-2011 12:51 PM

Another unrelated surgery for me

Some of you may recall that I had a tumor in my major salivary gland that required surgery due to my Sjogren's Syndrome and increased risk of Malt Lymphoma. The surgery was a partial parotidectomy which basically means they make a huge incision around the entire ear, (very similar to a facelift incision), try to avoid the facial nerves and remove the tumor and part of the parotid gland. Well,now I have another tumor on the other side and it needs to come out. I am trying to hold off a bit so that we can vacation in China. You can't fly for a month following this surgery. This will be surgery number 6 for me in the past 10 years so I am a little down about it however, I know all too well, it could be a lot worse.

Hopeful 07-20-2011 01:00 PM

Re: Another unrelated surgery for me

Rinaina,

I am sorry to hear of this new, unwelcome development in your life. A vacation in China sounds exciting, though, and I hope you will be able to put this out of your mind and enjoy it. Best of luck to you, and please keep checking in with us.

Hopeful

Jackie07 07-20-2011 02:24 PM

Which part of China are you planning to visit? Just think, after you come back from your trip and have the surgery, you can plan for your next visit to China... (or any other countries. :)

Pam P 07-20-2011 03:44 PM

Rina - Another surgery - so sorry to hear it. Does it help knowing what to expect from the other similar one? I hope you can take your China trip first. All good wishes to you. Pam

Mary Anne in TX 07-20-2011 03:56 PM

Just want you to know that I'll be cheering for you! ma

caya 07-20-2011 08:21 PM

Sorry to hear of yet another surgery for you Rina.
Hopefully the recuperation will be easy and speedy.

all the best
caya

ElaineM 07-20-2011 08:36 PM

I am sorry you have to have another surgery. Go and enjoy China first. You will have nice memories to think about while you recover from surgery. Hopefully you will also have some nice photos to look at while you recover.
Take good care of yourself. I hope this will be your very last surgery.

krisvell 07-21-2011 04:49 AM

Rinaina,
Jeez, I wish you didn't have have to go through this. Please know that I am praying, rooting for you that it will go all well. I really hope you can do and enjoy your trip to China.

Love,
Kris......

rinaina 07-22-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks to all my well wishers. Jackie, we are traveling for 17 days throughout China, starting in Shanghi ending in Hong Kong including a 3 night Yangtzee River Cruise. I opted for this over a party for my 60th. Can't wait.
The surgery will be the same as before, an overnight stay at the hospital, return home with a drain to stay in place for 3 days. Minimal activity for a month. Pray they are able to avoid the facial nerve and it's five branches as they did before. You are left with some numbness in the ear and a little in front of ear and behind. Hoping it goes well like previous one back in 2004.