HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Thyroid cancer after BC anyone? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61172)

sassy 06-02-2014 07:17 PM

Thyroid cancer after BC anyone?

I have been officially diagnosed with a goiter containing two nodules. One small and one rather large that will be biopsied next week.

Anyone have thyroid issues after BC, especially a thyroid cancer dx? There is a correlation between radiation treatment for nodes and thyroid cancer.

Not panicking--yet.....I guess the worst case scenario is to have the thyroid removed and radioactive iodine treatment.

Waiting for results...darn waiting.

Adriana Mangus 06-02-2014 10:36 PM

Re: Thyroid cancer after BC anyone?

Hi Sassy,

My neighbor was diagnosed with thyroid cancer about a year ago, she had the radioactive stuff by mouth-- that was the worse part-- she couldn't be near anyone near for a period of time. After the removal of her thyroid she's perfectly fine, the cancer hadn't spread , she's now on some meeds- - and will be on it for the rest of her life- - . She's doing just fine. You will do just fine, as well.

Take care,

Adriana

Ceesun 06-03-2014 09:34 AM

Hi Sassy, I had thyroid cancer 30 years ago...it was like 3mm in size and did not show up on scans, but I had an enlarged lymph node in the neck. I had radiation to the thymus gland as an infant...thus the thyroid cancer as a young adult. I know my breast cancer was due to the radiation as well.

1rarebird 06-03-2014 02:17 PM

Rhonda,
I had my thyroid biopsied after all my Her2 BC treatments were done (well not including the Tamoxifen which I guess goes on indefinetly). It was because my PET scans showed hot spots in the thyroid. The biopsy came back as pre-canerous (be ready if they say you have Hurthle Cells), and given my situation with BC, I was advised to have the thyroid removed. I did and have been on daily levothyorxin which goes on till the bitter end. But it is not a big problem and after you get the biopsy results you'll know what to do. My recommendation is have them give you a sediative before they do the biopsy. I wish I had. Good luck to you.--bird

tricia keegan 06-03-2014 04:34 PM

Sending good wishes Sassy but no info to share but hoping for B9!

Pat94 06-04-2014 11:51 AM

I had a cold nodule on my thyroid about 40 years ago. It was the kind that could become malignant. I was put on artificial thyroid for some period of time to keep my thyroid from functioning; I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years. Then the nodule couldn't be felt anymore and my thyroid has functioned well since. With my recent CT & PET scans it seems I have old calcified nodules/cysts left from that time but they are not a problem. I hope yours are pre-malignant and can either stay put & monitored or removed. The only other thing I remember is that I had more energy on the Synthyroid than on my own. Good luck. Let us know when you hear back.

chekmark 06-04-2014 06:17 PM

I have an enlarged thyroid since treatment, i have an ultrasound every year to monitor it. Of course my doctor always freaks me out when he examines it but it turns out to be just an enlarged thyroid so far. They have never biopsied it. Good luck, it's nothing til it's something, positive thoughts. Keep us posted.

StephN 06-04-2014 06:31 PM

Sorry to hear that you have yet another health issue to deal with/manage.

Hope that your waiting is just about over since you posted a few days ago, and I have been watching for your update. Don't wish to hear that you were rushed in for an ...ectomy!

My best thoughts coming your way dear friend.

michka 06-05-2014 12:50 AM

Hello Rhonda. I hope you will have good news after the biopsy. Many women have nodules without it meaning cancer.
18 months before finding my BC I was diagnosed with a goiter containing 50 nodules. The biopsy showed pre cancerous cells so the thyroid was removed and now I take levothyroxin every day.
Michka

Mel3 06-05-2014 08:31 AM

Rhonda, I'm sorry you're experiencing another health issue and I'll pray it isn't cancer. I am now seeing an endocrinologist and she is monitoring my thyroid. I've been experiencing metabolic issues since my diagnosis and it is frustrating. Best wishes for you, keep us posted.

sassy 06-05-2014 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your info and well wishes.

I'm so determined to be normal, I can't believe I keep having problems popping up! I had my little pity party a few posts ago over my "broken legs", but I've had my big girl panties on ever since.

If sheer determination could right things, I'd be right as rain!!!

My bone doc told my onc that he could not believe I was walking around on my fractured legs when they were dx'd. My onc told him "That's just who she is." I love my onc.

I'm still working more than full time, running my little jewelry business on the side, coach cheerleading, involved in church, singing in the choir, leading music for Bible School, working in my yard, helping to plan my son's wedding, taking care of my family, staying active in this group.........I just do it all at a different pace and take each step carefully...literally!!!

I'll deal with this however it turns out.

That's just who I AM!

Love you all,

Bunty 06-06-2014 01:58 AM

We love who you are Sassy - you certainly are living life! Best wishes on the thyroid issue.
Cheers Marie

Joanne S 06-06-2014 03:53 PM

Sassy, Hoping and praying for the best for you. You are quite an inspiration. Hugs, Joanne

Becky 06-06-2014 04:14 PM

Aw Sassy girl. Just need to let you know that I am thinking about you and love you lots.

Jackie07 06-07-2014 12:20 AM

Sassy,

1Rarebird has shared his valuable experience and advice. Your posting reminds me of what my (2nd) neurosurgeon had told me back in 2003 when I was first diagnosed (with BC): "A person diagnosed with one cancer is more likely [than others] to have another cancer."

Sending you good vibes.

SusanN 06-07-2014 11:06 PM

You truly are such a ray of sunshine and encouragement...I'm sending prayers your way!! :)

RobinP 06-10-2014 06:22 AM

Praying for you Sassy. I know others who have done marvelous after thyroid removal and treatment- just to encourage you.

Mtngrl 06-10-2014 06:45 AM

Dear Sassy,

I found out about thyroid nodes in connection with my breast cancer workup. The endocrinologist said I couldn't rely on the breast cancer scans to monitor the thyroid. The larger nodule has its own blood supply, so it was most suggestive of cancer. Biopsy on that nodule came out negative. I've had two biopsies on the other side and both were inconclusive. They want me to monitor the nodes with ultrasound. I canceled the last appointment I had for that and have not rescheduled.

I agree with the advice to get drugs when you have the biopsy. The guy who did my three didn't even numb it, and it was extremely uncomfortable. His theory is the numbing process is painful as well, but I'm not sure he's ever had a thyroid biopsy. It was awful.

When I was going through all that I learned that nodular thyroids are pretty common in older people, especially older women. I also learned, as others have said, that thyroid cancer is curable if caught early, and life without a thyroid gland is manageable with replacement hormones.

It does seem, though, that there should be a one-cancer-at-a-time rule.

sassy 06-10-2014 07:45 PM

Had biopsy today-three samples FNA. Doc said we would probably have results Friday. Procedure was easy with no after effects.

Fingers crossed......prayers going up.

Carol Ann 06-10-2014 07:54 PM

Fingers and toes crossed for you, Sassy!

Carol Ann